Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • favourite Pink Floyd song?
  • ivandrago
    Free Member

OK, lying on the couch watching Dave Gilmour Live DVD and wondered what everyone's favourite Pink Floyd song was. I was lucky enough to see Dave Gilmour (on an island tour) plus various members of PF in Florence, August 2006; too young to have seen them as originally.

I honestly struggle to name my fav; Comfortably Numb is up there, but so is any track from Dark Side.

What's yours?

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think it is that one on Dark Side of the Moon with the woman going oooh oh oh oooh oh ohhh oh oww owwww OWWWWWW! Can't remember the name.

And Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh!

A Saucerful of Secrets

Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun

Echoes

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

I do like Pink Floyd. I don't think Comfortably Numb is one of their best though, personally.

(Simonralli: Great Gig In The Sky?)

uplink
    Free Member

Crazy Diamond for me

RustySpanner

Side three of 'The Wall'. Can't get any more specific……..

Oh, and 'See Emily Play'. 🙂

ivandrago
    Free Member

that'll be great gig in the sky! Would you believe, the girl that sings this amazing part was white and from Sweden, she turned up at rehearsals, listened to the track and came up with this! What you listen to on the original was her 2nd attempt, unbelievable…

Hairs on the arms when listening to this??

firestarter
    Free Member

The entire final cut album. I listened to that for first time the day before I flew out to battle whilst drunk and experimenting with dodgy substances for the first time . It made a lasting impression.

m0nster2
    Free Member

Ooh. Too may.
    Seen them a couple of times.

Green Is the Colour these days, according to my iTunes.

For the memories: Coming Back to Life
    One* choice?: Got to be Two Suns in the Sunset or Wish You Were Here
    *OK. Two.

Edit: Firestarter, that is one hell of a combination of circumstances to be listening to Final Cut for the first time. Respect

higgo
    Free Member

Sheep

iDave
    Free Member

Fearless – lovely open G tuning and the Kop at the end……

ivandrago
    Free Member

I take back my previous comment re: comfortably numb being a fav. Just witnessed Bob **** Geldof kickin it off at a Dave G concert. What a w*nk, you just bloody ruined a good moment, Bob. At least its only a fleetin moment he's on…

freddyg
    Free Member

The whole of Wish you were here. Brilliant.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Saw DG's Island tour a few years back and Echoes live was superb. The DVD didn't do it justice though.

izakimak
    Free Member

interstellar overdrive,
    set the controls for the heart of the sun,
    one of these days, preferably played at full whack 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers monster lol I ended up going to situations a fair few times and still do now in the fire brigade and Floyd always helps 😉

ivandrago
    Free Member

i wish to edit my post re: swedish lass, she was white but was not swedish, still, bloody good effort Clare Torry!

Firestarter, that must've been mind blowing never mind adding that album to complicate matters! Respect.

cinnamon_girl

Dark Side of the Moon tour – I was there, at Wembley in, er, 73?

Actually, I really don't like them, have tried to 'get' them but I just don't. 😕

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Live at Pompeii especially Echos.

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol IvanDrago its amazing what music can help yet get through.I had my location shelled and enya was on the radio and everytime I hear it it reminds me how close I was to not getting home. I watched from a balcony sarajevo getting shelled as we gave grid references and listened to tracey chapman I think the biggest one was when I was blown thru air by a mine whilst listening to radiohead street spirt fade out I woke with the kiwi medics all around sorting me out and radiohead in my ears

bol

Can't possibly follow that post suitably Firestarter. You've just given me a perspective on those sort of situations that I never had. Thank you. Very impressed that you could come back from that and join the fire brigade.

Back to Floyd: Wish You Were Here is the one I'd take to my desert island (no irony intended), but I could pick another dozen favourites without any trouble. One of My Turns I find pretty calming on occasion.

soops
    Free Member

St Tropez from Meddle 8)

Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a Pict.

mintimperial

No love for Bike?! For shame!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN-j9H0nIDs

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Sheep, whilst riding-in wales-brilliant! too many others and too many moods to place an all time great.

weaklemondrink
    Free Member

Sheep my favourite too. Animals (or "flying piggies" as I called my dad's LP as a nipper) my favourite Floyd album.

DrJ

Wish You Were Here because it reminds me of someone I missed and that I … err … wished was there.

Simon Bates here I come.

Resin42
    Free Member

One of my Turns, (beautifully schizophrenic)
    Comfortably Numb (obvious but the second guitar solo is an exercise in emotional tragedy)
    Great Gig in the Sky (can bring me tears at will)

Everyone always goes on about Gilmour's guitar (and rightly so) but Roger Water's lyrics are incredible too. I give you The Gunner's Dream, the way he plays with timing and meter in this is almost genius.

A place to stay
    Enough to eat
    Somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
    Where you can speak out loud
    About your doubts and fears
    And what's more no-one ever disappears
    You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door.
    You can relax on both sides of the tracks
    And maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
    And everyone has recourse to the law
    And no-one kills the children anymore

drain

Comfortably Numb, closely followed by Wish You Were Here.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I give you The Gunner's Dream, the way he plays with timing and meter in this is almost genius.

The way it's sung is dripping with vitriol as well – fantastic. Just back in and was listening to the Final Cut when I was out in the car. It's probably my favourite complete Floyd album but I'm not sure what my favourite track would be.

scotabroad

What Drian said + shine on you crazy diamond

M6TTF
    Free Member

All prog rock garbage for me I'm afraid

Keva
    Free Member
    mmb
    Free Member

has to be wish you were here for me

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Shine on you crazy diamond, makes me shiver, Comfortably Numb makes my hair stand up on end (as much with memories of singing it with Dave Gilmore… along with the rest of Wembly Stadium)
    and pretty much all of Relics*, my first exposure to Pink Floyd and I still have my dads vinyl copy that I "borrowed" many years ago.
    Oh, and Dogs of War seems to fit from time to time, and Interstellar Overdrive is just a cool noise when I am in the mood but the verdict from iTunes is… Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)…

Considering my occupation** I find it amusing that my most played Floyd track is "we don't need no education" and the number one single in the charts when I was born was Alice Cooper- Schools Out 🙂

*yes, I know it is a compilation, but it is the first place I met a gnome named Grimble Grumble, Arnold Layne, and was reminded that if I had a bike I should let you ride it if you like!

**teacher

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Shine on… does it for me. My dad chose it as the music for his funeral so every time I hear it, it is especially poignant. 🙁

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘favourite Pink Floyd song?’ is closed to new replies.