Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Favourite peaks descent?
  • AlexSimon

AlexSimon – Fair game for week day/less busy times riding IMO. The FP over the other side, Derbyshire Bridge that skirts the hillside down into Goyt Valley is fun too.

That’s the one we’re calling Berry Clough (a couple of mentions on the previous page).
    Hilarious when the bracken completely hides the track (monster bracken this year!).

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve often noticed people wrongly describe the Lockerbrook descent as the screaming mile, bit it actually runs from the top of the hill down a long fire road all the way down to the little car park beside the cattle grid on the road between the A57 and Fairholmes carpark.

Yes – it’s probably best named ‘Bridge End Pasture Descent’ as that’s the nearest words to it on the OS map and I think that car park is called the Bridge End car park.

It was a far more worthy descent ‘back in the day’ before it got sanitised – for logging work (I believe).

Nowadays I mainly use it as a way back up onto the ridge without having to slog up the grass after Crook Farm.

AlexSimon

It was a far more worthy descent ‘back in the day’ before it got sanitised – for logging work (I believe).

Do you remember when they started and it turned into a deep mud fest.
    (note that they call it Hagg Side – which is what I thought the car park was called)
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8a7VBnVPE[/video]

I’ve heard so many people call Lockerbrook the Screaming Mile now that it’s almost stuck. A look on YouTube shows all the top hits for Screaming Mile actually showing Lockerbrook.

mildbore

Lockerbrook=Gores

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ AlexSimon – It’s called Berry Clough right got it.

Yeah all the greenery has been on steroids this summer. Perfect combination of rain every few days or so, coupled with warmish temps and dry periods in between. It’s felt almost subtropical in lesser travelled parts, which have been the most overgrown I’ve ever seen. Some of the more sheltered areas never really dried out. Think I managed 2 rides in that week/week and half where It didn’t rain as often/overnight, where I didn’t have to wash the bike down, a new record for me.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Favourite peaks descent?’ is closed to new replies.