Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Favourite comics
  • colournoise

+1 for Crisis. IMHO pretty much kicked off the whole ‘adult’ comic thing. New Statesmen was an amazing story.

Obviously 2000ad.

Marshall Law.

The Maxx.

Preacher.

Asterix.

Anything with Dave McKean’s artwork in it.

Anything by Jamie Hewlett.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

metalheart
    Free Member

@aphex I thought you meant this:

No way that 83, I was left school by then. Also remember warlord (I was a secret agent, deciphering their special coded messages… 😳 )

metalheart
    Free Member

I also wanted to post this image but I suspect it might be a little too much for stw….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Metal Hurlant. They introduced me to Jean Giraud.

drlex
    Free Member

Ha! I remember buying that copy of Warlord!
    As to Crisis re-starting the “adult comic” movement (after Oz & the alternative/ underground comics of the Seventies), I’d choose Watchmen and then Deadline. There is a great film out – Future Shock – that relates the history of 2000AD, and in watching it, found that an old college friend now runs Rebellion.

barrytheflea
    Free Member

Russ Abbott

donks
    Free Member

chestrockwell

I used to be jealous of my sister because she got Whizzer and Chips where as I had to make do with The Beano. I was delighted when she moved on to Just 17 as it meant I was allowed to get W&C.

Also used to like Viz. The Garry Bushell pee take ‘Gary Bluto’ is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i got Battle comic every week as a kid, Johnny Red, Charlies War, The rat Pack etc great reading…i then later on got into American comics, got a couple of thousand i suppose…they generally sit around me.

currently liking Old Man Logan (Marvel) and Southern Bastards (Image),…Image do some really good stuff, (Black Science) and you can get re-print first issues for just a pound at the moment from your local friendly comic store.

Saga is good, also another Image book,…walking dead….

i could go on all night really… always liked silver surfer, but i’m not all that keen on his latest re-incarnation.

The ‘Standoff Avengers’ arc is quite interesting and very now.

Really like the old 50s EC stuff too, haunt of fear, tales from the crypt etc, got a few of those originals, great stuff and rare.

Love comics.

kayla1
    Free Member

Beano, most weeks, with my 20p pocket money (10p for the comic and a 10p mix up- no liquorice or aniseed cos they’re rank). I was also a fully paid-up member of the Dennis the Menace fan club 😀

Oh, and Oink

lazybike
    Free Member

The Victor and Commando..

colournoise

Forgot about Deadline…

sirromj

Parents bought me the Eagle as a kid in the 80s but never really got massively into comics beyond that.
    Favourites were Doomlord & Dan Dare

chewkw
    Free Member

This is a sample what I used to read but I read many more … Never into the Marvel …

TooTall
    Free Member

Warrior.

It’s where V for Vendetta and other seminal British stories were housed before getting sued out of existence for Captain Marvel.

Caher

Nothing profound to add here: 2000 AD & Marvel. Never liked DC that much for some unknown reason

Northwind

Ah how could I forget Transformers? Great stuff at that age but some surprisingly serious themes and big elaborate plots in there, for an extended toy advert.

sweepy
    Free Member

DING

DONG

Youre slipping kayla1

integerspin
    Free Member

Probably prefered VIZ but for years no one seemed to have heard of
    Gutter, then I found my brothers stash of them.

What ever happened to Miraculous Martha, I have a drawing a cartoonist
    did of me with Miraculous Martha;-)

drlex
    Free Member

So obscure, it’s only mentioned on the UK comics wiki in passing as being published by the same people as “zit”, a poor Viz clone:

scoob67
    Free Member

2000 AD when it first came out and one called Bullet with its swarthy mustachioed hero Fireball (both late ’70s). Still get Viz even if only for the Drunken Bakers, Top Tips and Rogers Profanosaurus.

chewkw
    Free Member

Doraemon is also a good read. Very futuristic …

My comics are mainly, Japanese, Chinese HK and a bit of South East Asia.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have 220 of these in my loft.

SaxonRider

Never liked DC that much for some unknown reason

Agree with this x1000000000

As for some of the rest of you, no wonder I found Britain so cynical and somewhat vulgar when I first moved here! Cheeky, Viz, Zit, Gutter, and even Dennis the Menace and Gnasher to some extent, could hardly have made for very edifying reading… 🙄

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Favourite comics’ is closed to new replies.