Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Favourite cathedrals
  • brakes
    Free Member

Grey towers of Durham
    Yet well I love thy mixed and massive piles
    Half church of God; half castle ‘gainst the Scot
    And long to roam those venerable aisles
    With records of deeds long since forgot

chewkw
    Free Member

More hijack folks … more people are wrong this time :mrgreen:

Pik n Mix – Member

We still have him though don’t we in your face York.

Yes, Leicester has no honour. I am afraid if you ask the Sikh community in Leicester they will be appalled by the way you treat a “foreign” King like that. The Sikh being the warrior clan (most consider themselves to be) will know how to respect unlike the bones grabbing lot.

joshvegas – Member

Pretty sure a dead humans remains isn’t going to care where its buried.

The dead don’t but the living do hence the request for Richard III to be returned to York. 🙄

Klunk – Member

richard of york, pah! he wouldn’t even been allowed to play for the cricket team as he was born in Northamptonshire.

Are you saying coz of his deformed spine? 😡

Despite his deformed spine he still went to war with his men, I bet the Northamptonshire cricket team would be dancing or playing musical instruments then … 😆 Now play me a tune boys!

Cletus

I too am a fan of Durham but also like Gloucester

The interior of St. John’s in Valetta is stunning – really like the Skeleton decorations

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ve only seen Ely from a distance

I hadn’t even noticed the cathedral in the background of The Division Bell before 😯

rocksteady

Wells again. Massive building in such a tiny place. But I’m from there, so that doesn’t really count.

TiRed

Not trendy, but my favourite

Durham for old school.

takisawa2

Lichfield.
    I bore folk to tears usually, waffling on about it, but it’s got such an amazing history.
    The centre spire was knocked down by months of canon balls aimed at it during the civil war.

CountZero

A captured King who is now an exhibit of his enemy is wrong on so many counts as that is not the way to treat a King regardless of him being an enemy or on the opposing side. A trophy King now which is Not the way for a warrior’s death.

He is Richard of York Not Richard of Leicester, so no matter how the court ruled in Leicester’s favour it is wrong. Bear in mind the court did not know what to do until now because there was no precedent over such matter.

Imagine the British army remains are still in the hand of the enemy and being exhibited.

The court does not know the code of warrior and the people who want to detain him in death as exhibition trophy has no concept of the of warrior as well.

What areyou talking about?
    ‘Captured King’? ‘Hands of the enemy’?, ‘exhibition trophy?’
    What a load of bollocks.
    He will be laid to rest in a tomb befitting a king of England, where all the people of his kingdom will be able to see his tomb, and pay the respect due to a warrior king.
    If anyone did him a disservice, it’s Shakespeare with his totally erroneous description of Richard as a twisted, nasty hunchback.

JoeG
    Free Member

University of Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning

joshvegas
    Free Member

As much as I can like a building designed to oppress.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

What? No mention of Winchester?

Not the pointiest or most beautiful, but its a mishmash of styles with loads going on. Including size.

St Swithun’s buried there, as is Jane Austen, there’s loads of Saxon kings’ bones in boxes, the crypt was pumped out by a deep sea diver… and there’s an Anthony Gormley.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Have also had the enormous pleasure of visiting many of the basilicas and churches of Rome. My fave of all was Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri.

An incredibly humble exterior, the interior incorporates the mighty Roman ruins of the Baths of Diocletian. Massive red granite columns, a meridian in the floor, a pinkish light to the place… Michaelangelo had a hand in the building, too. Despite the lavish walls and floor, the vaulted ceiling is completely bare. Never been anywhere quite like it. Absolutely stunning.

The only building to have moved me to tears on entering.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’m biased being from the area but both in Liverpool for different reasons
    Anglican is just an impressive dominating hulk inside and out
    Metropolitan (Roman Catholic ‘Paddys Wigwam’) whilst a bit marmite on the outside the interior at right time of day with the sun through the windows is a stunning example of modern cathedral design, plus it has the spooky Lutyens crypt (well worth going on a tour if you get the chance, it’s massive) from the original abandoned building that would have been unbelievably big had it been finished – http://www.unfinishedbuildings.org/liverpool.html

Fact they are both separated by a Street called Hope, the Anglican was designed by a catholic, and the catholic by an Anglican just adds to it

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Joshvegas – going to join you in that one:

It’s the inner Viking….

samuri
    Free Member

I’m biased being from the area but both in Liverpool for different reasons

But neither of those look like the real thing and and are both in the wrong place.

Winchester wins for me. It’s awesome.

There’s a cathedral which says ‘bow before us peasants, we will subdue you! Comply!’, which after all is what cathedrals are there for.

chewkw
    Free Member

Another hijack as another person is wrong. 🙄

CountZero – Member
    What areyou talking about?
    ‘Captured King’? ‘Hands of the enemy’?, ‘exhibition trophy?’
    What a load of bollocks.
    He will be laid to rest in a tomb befitting a king of England, where all the people of his kingdom will be able to see his tomb, and pay the respect due to a warrior king.
    If anyone did him a disservice, it’s Shakespeare with his totally erroneous description of Richard as a twisted, nasty hunchback.

If there was no enemy who killed him? Do you mean he was a good friend of The Red Rose of the House of Lancaster?
    Yes, captured King as in capturing his remains. Get it?
    He was from York not from Leicester so why hold his remains there?
    I have limited knowledge of Shakespeare and only read his work to pass my English exam.

🙄

joshvegas
    Free Member

No one cares chewkw and those that do really need to get a grip on whats important, he died fighting over a position of power, greed and control he should be chucked in a landfill.

Its of no relevance to anything in this day and age and our taxes could be better spent fixing the multitude of problems we face than arguing over a bunch of bones.

Happy now?

flap_jack
    Free Member

Ulm. Top trumps rules, Tallest Spire wins. Perched on top of a quite small church.

Particularly impressive as there’s next to no high-rise in the town.

dunsapie
    Free Member

Has to be St. Mary’s Cathedral in Edinburgh’s West End. My son was head chorister there.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Favourite cathedrals’ is closed to new replies.