Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Favorite diesel or electric loco of the last 40 years(enthusiast nerd content )
  • Just an idea, but would anyone be interested in some sort of forum ride for the SVR diesel weekend ?
    I know a few spots where there’s bridleways and other trails 😉 close to the railway.

This was on the pedestrian level crossing at Eymore Wood on my commute.

darkcove

I always liked the 56. Screaming their turbos off with 30 odd loaded mgr wagons in tow.

bratty

Sorry, but this is the best looking loco of all time:

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Largest class of loco in the UK by quite a margin.

Actually, there’s almost twice as many of another class of BR diesel electric. 😉

The Class 47 is second though.

binners

Diesel Weekend in a couple of weeks on the East Lancs Railway

bigyinn
    Free Member

TuckerUK presume you mean gronks (Class 08s)? They dont really count though do they?

JEngledow
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

TuckerUK
    Free Member

TuckerUK presume you mean gronks (Class 08s)? They dont really count though do they?

😆

Well they ARE diesel locomotives!

bigyinn
    Free Member

When was the last time you had on on the mainline doing more than 25mph??

james
    Free Member

Quite like the sound of a class 60

A 91 in IC colours I like:

Guessing not last 40 years, but obscure stuff like a 13 I like also:

muckytee
    Free Member

Love the sound of a 20

P20

No love for the APT? Only mention it as I still have the Hornby set somewhere at my parents

project
    Free Member

Onre of the last APT P is parked up at Crewe next to Tesco,s, at the Railway Age. A museum and workshop owned by Sir Pete Waterman.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Have to agree with james.

The 91 in its swallow livery looked good.

I worked on their commissioning out of Brel Crewe works in the late 80s. I worked for the propulsion and control supplier – GEC Traction – at the time.

darkcove

Love the sound of a 20

Yes it was good hearing them last autumn on the rhtt. Depend on who has the contract this year as to wether they’ll be out and about again this year.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I am first and foremost a steam fan, and none of the early diesels do it for me since they “killed” steam.

Newer stuff though, I love the 225 and 125 in GNER or the black and white Intercity livery, and the APT and Class 89.

I find the diesel and electric freighters from the mid 80’s to mid 90’s coolest.

Class 58

Class 59 (or 66)

Class 60

Class 92

If I’m honest, the LNER A4s and A3s and LMS Coronations are by far the nicest trains in existence.

*denerds*

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Have a think about early Western region diesels…

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Great thread! DaveyBoy, i had the hornby version of 1A68 above! i didn’t realise i liked trains quite this much…

brack
    Free Member

Wow…great getting old. You think bugger it I’m proud of what I like.

Deltics- they were a rare treat in Newton le Willow
    50’s – tried to get as many ticked off whilst on holiday in Cornwall …awww happy family memories
    But for grunt and rolled up just get on with it …. Class 40’s or 37’s

What was Stalybridge famous for loco wise ?

Gweilo
    Free Member

Was it the class 27 locomotives that used ti run from Glasgow on the West Highland line?

project
    Free Member

45, s 46, s and 47, and deltics all on transpenine expreses to york and newcastle.

legend
    Free Member

Not quite PSA worthy: World’s Top 5 Super Trains in Quest right now 😉

brack
    Free Member

Gweilo

Yep that’s the ones 26/27 were they the same ?

Gweilo
    Free Member

Brack

The google machine tells me they were built by the same company and were mixed traffic loco’s. Class 27 and 33 were apparently higher powered.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I think the 47 should be held in high esteem because it still looks modern, not bad for a 1962 loco.

And seeing as someone mentioned steam era, got to be an A4 (fastest), a 9F (last built/most modern design, record for heaviest freight train) and a Duchess Class (most powerful). Although the Britannia Class is pretty good looking I think.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Yes I Hornby trains when I was a kid, and yes the Mallard is the nuts as far as trains go – but, and this is a biggie folks, this is a mountain bike forum for hard ass bikers. It is not a nerdy trainspotter site, AND chaps with notebooks and binoculars need to bugger off to steam monthly or whatever you get off on. There! Someone said it!

Pieface

A video from my childhood.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ZY446h4pZdc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZY446h4pZdc&gl=GB

ononeorange

Can’t…resist…..replying…..any…longer!!

Gweilo – yes – 26/27s – both exclusive to Scotland, nice little burbly Sulzers built by Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co, whio also buolt the slightly higher powered 33 for the Southern (also another nice burbly Sulzer engine).

Binners – aaaah, my two favourites in one pic!

I never “got” the hydraulics, one of the very things I can now say that I am too young for.

Ace thread. Keep it going! Aside from Graham, who else is going to the SVR gala in just over a week? Will look out for you.

…hard ass bikers…nerdy trainspotter…

You can be both, you know.

ononeorange

“…chaps with notebooks and binoculars need to bugger off to steam monthly or whatever you get off on”

OK – so long as we can have the same rule for the dreary “I can drive more dangerously than you” car threads!!

Pieface

Posting links from mobile don’t work too well. One of my favorite looking trains and a favourite piece of video. I remember watching it in 1984 and to a 7 year old boy it was a great piece of footage, trains and crashes!

bigyinn
    Free Member

26s & 27s were powered by Sulzer 6LDA (6cyl) and were 1160 & 1250 horsepower. Were scottish locos for the majority of their lives.
    33 are powered by Sulzer 8LDA (8cyl) and were 1550 hp. Were Southern region throughout their whole lives.

rkk01
    Free Member

Ok – I’ll succumb. Used to love these things as a kid – steam and diesel. BUT firmly put it all behind me on going to college… 😳

… Bit of a shame really, as home to college by train included Class 50 hauled services from Exeter to Salisbury and Class 33 Salisbury to Southampton / Fareham / Portsmouth. 50 from Exeter St Davids to Exeter Central was always loud.

Did once see a 55 (Gordon Highlander) re-start from St Davids and pull a full railtour up the curve to Central. No understatement to say that the air shook

Gweilo
    Free Member

So is the forum ride mentioned earlier in this thread going to happen? I’m up for it an will be the slowest and most unfit…. so you’ll all have somebody ti abuse 😆

project
    Free Member

Just picked up a copy of RAIL MAGAZINE, CLASS 47 now celebrating 50 years and still working.

ononeorange

I was planning to slip off to Wales for the Sunday. Anyone else joining the SVR Forum Ride?

bigyinn
    Free Member

project – Member

Just picked up a copy of RAIL MAGAZINE, CLASS 47 now celebrating 50 years and still working.
    Please dont buy that “comic” it’s rubbish these days. Also known as “LIAR” with good reason.
    Only mag I know managed to print a cover backwards!

therevokid
    Free Member

ahhhh … Deltics coming in and out of Kings Cross … happy days 🙂

project
    Free Member

Big Yin they didnt have the Railway mmagazine on the shelf.

dannyh
    Free Member

Type 55 Deltic.

It just looks fantastically utilitarian and still looks good covered in grime – a real stalwart.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Favorite diesel or electric loco of the last 40 years(enthusiast nerd content )’ is closed to new replies.