Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Faulty tyres? (road bike content)
  • Kunstler

Fairly new Bontager hardcase tyres – got a hole in the sidewall and a long section (20cm) starting to open up where the sidewall is splitting from the bead. I try and keep them well inflated (90 – 95 psi) but often don’t realise they need re-inflating until they’re a bit too squishy. So is it a faulty tyre or has this resulted from running them under pressurised?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Hard to say. Have you checked the height of the brake blocks to make sure they’re not rubbing on the tyre?

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s nearly always the brake block rubbing the tyre.

Kunstler

Brake blocks are fine – no rub there. It probably doesn’t make much odds as I can’t find a receipt (bought from Evans and I don’t anticipate much help with customer service there) but I am curious to know if it’s a dodgy tyre or user error.

Edit: of course, I have taken the wheel out to fix the flat so it’s possible that it wasn’t square in the drop outs before (if that is even possible?).

oldgit
    Free Member

I confess I’ve done it three times, and always when I’ve transported the bike with the wheels out (block gets moved a bit)

oldgit
    Free Member

My mates carbon rim from yesterdays cross, pad has moved in transit. Wasn’t spotted and used the aero section as the braking surface, sort of opposite to you?

Kunstler

I think you’re right og. The wheels were out for transportation a few weeks ago -could have been gentle enough rubbing for me not to notice. One (another one) to chalk up to experience. I probably wouldn’t be so sanguine if I had put a hole in a carbon rim though.

TiRed

OG; was pretty gritty. My pads are down to the metal and the BlackBerry is dead.

But brake block offset takes no time to kill a sidewall.

oldgit
    Free Member

TiRed I bailed, my first ever bail out. I was really struggling, still not quite right since October. Shame as otherwise it was good.
    Could have done with another gear or two, I could ride the climbs, but they killed me at the same time.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Oooft that carbon rim makes me sad!

TiRed

Killed me too. Gear was too high to stand as I kept losing traction. My cold was not helping either. If cross is always like that, I’m out 😉 said hi as I passed you (I think)

oldgit
    Free Member

Not always like that, sometimes it snows and sometimes even reaches 30 dgrees.
    That’s the good thing about it. Wish I knew you were there. Are you at Standalone ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Faulty tyres? (road bike content)’ is closed to new replies.