Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Faulty SRAM PF46 BB
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

Bought my Spesh in September ’14 and noted to my horror that the SRAM press fit bottom bracket made a noise like a cement mixer as I rode it out of the shop.

I budgeted for a replacement within a couple of months.

Thirteen months later, the BB is still grumbly, but refuses to die in spite of regular dunkings in Kentish goop.

What gives?

mboy
    Free Member

😆

Don’t be surprised if it hasn’t died, but the now seized bearings are turning within the plastic cups! Have seen this happen a lot.

Best cure for a SRAM PF30 BB is to junk it and fit something decent. Either that or buy plenty of cheap 6806 bearings and watch the YouTube video on how to change them out yourself.

stu170
    Free Member

I did the same with my giant, 2 years of hose pipe and thetford sand and it never gave up, classic stw hating pressfit made me think it would be pants, but it was fantastic

PJM1974
    Free Member

Given that I’ve killed SRAM BBs in less than six months previously, I’m highly suspicious. Just to check the seized cup theory, I removed the chain and span the cranks…

…still turning nicely, but they make a sound like a bag of spanners – as they did from day one.

It’s almost as if SRAM have engineered the 95% knackered phase to last for years.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Faulty SRAM PF46 BB’ is closed to new replies.