Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Faulty Schwalbe tyres?
  • Flapjack
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of a tubeless ready Racing Ralph for my new 29er from Bike discount DE, just gone to inflate it and it is leaking air from the seam on the sidewall (both sides) in various places!
    Now I’ve got to send it back to the fatherland and wait for a replacement.

Anyone else experienced this before, or have I just got a rogue? 🙄

coatesy
    Free Member

We’ve probably had more that leaked than those that held air.Tubeless ready, my a**e.

Baznav
    Free Member

The tubeless ready Label is giving tubeless a bad name, i’ll take the reliability of ust every time.

ton

i have a schwalbe marathon on the rear of my tourer….it has just gone out of shape over the last week.
    it has done 4500 miles.

should it have done more, wonder if it is worth sending it back under warrenty?

Flapjack
    Free Member

Err…You could certainly have a go, Ton !?! 😯

I’m hoping that mine may just self seal after some use – I didn’t realise just how porous a new tyre could be! The bloody thing was leaking air all over the place. I’ve recently fitted a pair of TLR Hans Dampfs that sealed easily with no probs, but this RR is just springing leaks down both sidewalls!

ryder
    Free Member

Are they pinhole sized leaks? If so my Rocket Rons (non snakeskin) were the same. Just kept shaking them and flipping them over as per the videos on the stans site and they sealed eventually. No probs since

Northwind

Tubeless ready aren’t required to be airtight- some are, frinstance about half of my specializeds have been, the other have have been just a wee bit leaky. But there shouldn’t be any holes that take any effort to seal.

br
    Free Member

put some latex in?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My Schwalbe Duranos were certainly “faulty” I got 100 miles out of the rear before it cracked and fell to bits. The front is still on after 1000 miles but looks like it’s done an F1 race. Puncture proof my chuddies! Every other week!

That said my marathon plus tyres have all been great. As has my nobby nic and racing ralph. Never tried them tubless. Mainly because the vibe I get off here is that it isn’t worth the faff.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As said, tubeless ready doesn’t mean they are non porous. You want UST for that (much heavier). They just supposedly seat easier and may or may not have better sidewalls either stronger or just less porous.

Use sealant. Plenty of sealant. Only UST tyres and rims combined are guaranteed to work with no sealant, and even then I’d still use some to deal with small punctures mid ride.

grtdkad

What Ryder said up there. I had a batch that were mega porous. Just needed more sealant, a good spin and twist and then a brisk ride. No problems thereafter.

sq225917
    Free Member

Ton, you got 4500 miles from a tyre? I’m lucky to get half that on the road.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Faulty Schwalbe tyres?’ is closed to new replies.