Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Faulty but otherwise brilliant refurbished laptop – where do I stand?
  • peacefulparsnip
    Free Member

Hi there,
    Just testing the water before I give saveonlaptops a ring tomorrow. I’ve bought a refurbished laptop from saveonlaptops, and it was a bit of a steal, and despite the grade B condition, aesthetically it’s nearly spotless.
    However, it seems to have an odd problem, the battery charge is always only 22%, but if I unplug the machine from the mains it switches off immediately. Slightly worrying given that saveonlaptops say “we cannot guarantee battery life”.
    I also tried to install a load of updates so I could upgrade to windows 8.1, but after getting to around 15% it says “Failure to configure windows update”

The thing is,I don’t really want to return it for a full refund, but as the laptops is refurbished, was a fantastic deal, and, other than these problems, I’m very pleased with it.

Where do I stand?
    Cheers

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Sounds like a dead battery to me, new reqd. If they state that batters is not covered then I guess you’re in for buying a new one.

cranberry
    Free Member

You’ll be needing a new battery.

Batteries hold less charge over time, especially if the laptop is left connected to the mains all the time, so it is understandable that a seller of 2nd hand laptops wouldn’t be able to guarantee their batteries.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nealglover
    Free Member

Save yourself the price of a phone call and put it towards a new battery.

If you need to know what they will say on the phone, it will probably be …..

“we cannot guarantee battery life”

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Zip lock bag in the freezer for 24h with the battery. Suck all air out first. Can kick life into them.

peacefulparsnip
    Free Member

Sorted out the battery problem thank goodness! The battery firmware was dodgy so I updated and it’s now fine.
    Wrestling with the update problem at the moment.
    Looks like a call to Lenovo will not be necessary.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Faulty but otherwise brilliant refurbished laptop – where do I stand?’ is closed to new replies.