Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fatty Trail – what tyres for trail centre riding?
  • motozulu
    Free Member

So, got the fatty (two rides in and blown away by it) but have heard quite a few negatives about the JJ’s it’s shod with. Now, as I’m not going to be swapping tyres for seasons – what is a good tyre combo for basically trail centre riding?
    Going to run the JJ’s til they wear out but keeping an eye out for their replacements as I go, in case I spot any bargains etc.

Ta.

cozz
    Free Member

you will end up changing tyres with the seasons

use JJ in summer, and nates in winter

Cheezpleez

I’ve found Floaters to be a good all-round tyre. Others hate them. I ran a Mammoth on the back for quicker rolling in the summer but it’s unsurprisingly poor in the slop.

What’s wrong with JJs for trail centres? Again it’s the slop they don’t like and you don’t get much of that at most trail centres, do you?

monkeyboyjc

As cozz said – jumbo Jims for summer, Nates for winter.

Northwind

For hard stuff JJs are ideal, no reason to switch imo. Though the 4.8 JJ absolutely kicks the arse of the 4.0 and I think will fit in a Trail, if it’s 1x? It sounds like a small upgrade, but it really rides like a different tyre, and the extra volume lets you run lower pressures and adds way more grip than it adds drag.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nates or floaters. TBH I couldn’t tell the difference when I had a go on the Nates (except the nates are 4x the price).

JJ’s are supposed to be alright though for dry trails?

Cheezpleez

I’d have thought a 4.8 would be atight squeeze. A 4.4 might go

Northwind

There’s definitely people who’ve done it with 4.8. Having said that, different people have different tolerances for mud clearance etc.

scotroutes

Husker Dus

motozulu
    Free Member

Cheers, yes, I’m getting on fine with the JJ’s – a wet cannock and they are fine, but they do get very skittish if the mud is more than an inch deep. reason I ask is it isn’t just the marked trails – we do a lot of off piste too, which I’m guessing the JJ’s will struggle with.

Nates or the floaters then? will look at Husker dos as well. Thanks. Actually rode the Dog last night with a mate on a FT with the On One floaters and he did fine – he’s even managed to go tubeless on them with gorilla tape – impressed!

cozz
    Free Member

huskers are a great tyre

Ive got a set I use in summer

But they are quite dear – and you don’t often see any used ones come up for sale

One of the reasons I still run tubes is that I swap tyres on my fatbike prob 4 time a year

JJ 4.0 early spring and autumn
    huskers for summer
    larry’s for sand
    nates for mud

its the fat bike seasons

Cheezpleez

@Northwind -that’s interesting. Think I’ll get one to try. I can always stick it on the front if it’s too big for the back.

postierich
    Free Member

nates or floaters all year round!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fatty Trail – what tyres for trail centre riding?’ is closed to new replies.