Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Fatty Trail – discontinued
  • motozulu
    Free Member

According to a poster on another forum, he received an email yesterday from On One telling him they aren’t making any more – wonder why? 😕

motozulu
    Free Member

Explains why you can’t get floaters anymore as well.

prawny

Was just wondering that myself, down to small grey and medium blue only.

Odd that On-one would knock them on the head when they make up what seems to be about half of all the fat bikes in the uk

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Probably because as many people who want fat bikes have now bought one so sales dropped to a point where it wasn’t worth booking factory time for another production run?

Maybe they’ll do a run of 29+ or 650b+ frames and flood that market as well.

I’m not being negative, it’s just that their business model is to stack them high and sell them cheap, they’re only making money if they can sell big volumes.

zippykona

Unless there’s a sexy carbon one on its way.

coomber
    Free Member

The prices they have come down to now, and have been for some time on their website, can’t imagine they make much of a margin on them at all.

prawny

Or Ti based on the rest of this weeks PX news.

vondally
    Free Member

Were these frames/ bikes any good?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Buy my mint one and find out….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R1P7s5]IMG_9496_zpseyxrlk6s[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Were these frames/ bikes any good?

I’ve an original fatty, and a trail waiting for forks to build it up, so I’d say yes.

The geometry’s actually far more progressive/up-to-date/long-low/slack than the 45650b!

roverpig
    Dango
    Free Member

New standards must be incoming, I thought fatties were just a joke, but can see now that they really exisited.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Has the Fatbike Bubble Finally Burst?

Sales bubble maybe. I doubt we’ll see any less of them on the trails though, people bought them because they filled a niche that suited them (even if that niche is just “make Swinley/Cannock/Innerleithen/Afan interesting again”. But once you’ve bought one, you don’t (generally, there are those who go crazy) need two, or an upgrade because it’s what’s shit about them that equally makes good and them so much fun.

Like the tech bubble a few years (decade?) ago. People have’t stopped using mobile phones, Nokia et al. just ran out of new people to sell them to.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Pfft, I road a Fatty round Innerleithen red trails. Was flipping awful. Like riding a space hopper on a washing machine full of bricks on spin.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member

Pfft, I road a Fatty round Innerleithen red trails. Was fuckign awful. Like riding a space hopper on a washing machine full of bricks on spin.

Pfft, I road an endruo Gnarpoon round Innerleithen red trails. Was awful. Like riding a barge on a canal full of bricks with a broken rudder.

Matter of opinion. although I’d probably leave out the ‘was awful’ bit. It was great, it just got a bit samey after a while (and that climb up the push-up track at the beginning was hell).

NormalMan

Like a spacehopper?

I’d say too much psi.

rOcKeTdOg

Buy my mint one and find out…

looks grey to me

wombat

@ Eddiebaby – That’s very nice

Dango
    Free Member

“Like riding a space hopper on a washing machine full of bricks on spin”

On the first date?

wwaswas

I’ve been really impressed with mine. No heavier than my steel SS hardtail.

I wouldn’t ride it in sticky mud but it’s fine the rest of the time.

For a frame that cost me £80 brand new it’s great 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What forks are they?

Post brexit bluto prices have put me off somewhat!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

shame, they really are a great bike 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

They’ll have a new improved model out soon, just like last time.

The geo changes from the original Fattie were a revelation – this will be even moreso!

And the price will come down quickly…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’ll have a new improved model out soon, just like last time.

That’ rarely the on-one way though.

On-one : we have this great cheap 650b hardtail

Public and magazines : great, 5 years ago, can we have it with more reach now?

On-One : we have this 650b hardtail with the same geometry in Ti for £999, or 26″ carbon versions of the same.

The idea of actually designing new stuff seems alien to them.

Even in the good old days when Brant was there and the only thing they did was the 26″ Inbred there was at least iterative development. The next batch was always something a bit different (853, singlespeed, blue, sliding dropout, red, full length cables, tweeked chainstays). Now they just make something, and it sits there for years.

scotroutes

You should take one round Glentress instead. I’m the archetypal STW mincer but even I had folk jumping off the trails when they heard me rumbling down behind them!

wwaswas

tinas: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181818034845

I wanted something I could share a wheel with the Bluto’s on my Bucksaw with.

They seem fine and a good price. I’ve not died yet, anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers, they look smart, and more importantly cheap!

I’d like bluto’s and they were cracking value last year, but £500 is getting into Pike money and fun though the Fatty is, it’s meant to be cheap and simple! If I wanted to spend that sort of money I’d do it on a ‘proper’ bike.

johnnystorm

Hopefully it means something 197 t/a, 5″/100mm SIM, etc. is on the way.

I’m surprised the Tomac one didn’t just get rebranded, after all you can get viner/holdsworth/px versions of the same frame.

motozulu
    Free Member

I’m not so sure – the fact they have stopped making the floaters too is strange – I thought they sold well?

motozulu
    Free Member

Just to add I love mine. My only bike now and don’t miss the Granite Chief or the Bird Zero at all.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know some people like 5″ tyres and 100mm rims. But that’s niche within a niche. I suspect the Fatty’s popularity was at least in part because it wasn’t quite so extreme so it worked well on normal trails. Not that 5″ doesn’t but at the time it was before maxxis, schwalbe etc got involved.

ratherbeintobago

Now they just make something, and it sits there for years.

Would it really kill them to put a tapered or 44mm head tube on the Inbred?

Northwind

Surprised at that tbh, I thought they’d bin the standard Fatty and make a rigid Trail. The Trail has a stupid rear axle standard but other’n that seemed like one of their best attempts for a while.

yourguitarhero – Member

Pfft, I road a Fatty round Innerleithen red trails. Was flipping awful. Like riding a space hopper on a washing machine full of bricks on spin.

TBH, Innerleithen’s surface is like a load of spun bricks. You should have gone and ridden the good trails- my second ever fatbike ride was on inners #enduro and dh trails and it was awesome. Chasing folks from the uplift down the Matador 😆

shermer75
    Free Member

Has the Fatbike Bubble Finally Burst?

Peeps round here (London) have started using them for cruising around on, so maybe there’s life in the old fatty yet..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Thanks for that fork link wwaswas. My Bluto could be for sale soon. ( less than 10hrs riding…).

Was that stealthy enough?

Mugboo

I’ve just bought one as a bundle for the fork and seatpost if anybody wants a blue, medium frame I’m open to reasonable offers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Trail has a stupid rear axle standard

You keep saying that, but it’s the same as plenty of other fatbikes? Wednesday, Mucluk, some 9.0.7’s etc are all 170mm, bucksaw is 177mm.

Northwind

Of those you mentioned- Wednesday is bolt-through (choice of 10 or 12), Mukluk is now 197×12, every adult’s 9 zero 7 bar the slider is 197×12- (pretty sure the Slider is only 170 for Rohloff compatibility) Bucksaw is 12mm. The Trail is 170QR. Nothing wrong with 170/177, though it seems to be losing the standards war (*), but QR was pretty much dead when they launched the Trail. Maybe they had some cheap hubs or something in that standard?

(* I hope it doesn’t lose too fast, the day 197×12 becomes standard, Trek and Shimano will launch 189 and a third)

wwaswas

QR was pretty much dead when they launched the Trail. Maybe they had some cheap hubs or something in that standard

they had the Fatty frame using that standard and wanted to share wheelsets across frames?

I’m sharing wheels between my Bucksaw and the Trail Fatty at the moment – it’s a simple end cap change away and, for me, I can;t see any advantage of a wider hub for a ‘trail’ bike that won;t be running monster tyres on snow.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they had the Fatty frame using that standard and wanted to share wheelsets across frames?

They didn’t though, I’ve both wheelsets and the el-guapo hub is different.

I think it’s as you said though, 100mm BB’s and 170mm back ends are more trail friendly. Long term I think the 190mm hubs will be just as unpopular in the scheme of things as 170mm (190 wins Vs 170 in the short term because Spesh, Trek, Cube all adopted it along with 5″ tyre clearance). Once the market dies down I think we’ll still see 170 and 190mm frames (both bolt through and QR) simply because they work for different people.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Fatty Trail – discontinued’ is closed to new replies.