Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fatty stripper tubeless
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Anybody tried these fatty stripper tubeless do dars?
    http://fattystripper.com

Is it worth the bother. Looking to go tubeless on Dr Swiss br2250 wheels. Buy know it’s not easy because of the cutouts.

Much of a weight saving?

mcnultycop

I’ve bought a set but not fitted them as yet. Looks like a decent enough product; I’ll be trying next weekend so can post up pics of me covered in tubeless sealant sulking if they don’t work.

The actual strips and valve will undoubtedly weigh much, much less than a fatty tube.

akira

Can someone google fatty strippers to see if they have a UK distributor. No internet here…..

dai21t
    Free Member

I did the mulefat rims on my fatbike with 1 layer of duck tape to give colour through the holes in the rim and 1 layer of gorilla tape over that. Easy to inflate and has been ok for last few months.

The-Duke

I’ve used these on my specialized fatboy and they’ve worked a treat, had previously converted to tubeless using the split tube method but thought I’d try these out when it was time to change the sealant. The fatboy rims look quite similar to the dt rims so you shouldn’t have any problems, I used surly rim strips to cover the cutouts then the fatty strips. You have to be careful not to tear the fatty strips as their quite thin but you can save a decent amount of weight even compared to the split tube method. I had to order from the states as there’s no uk distributer but delivery was only took around a week.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Did you have to pay import duty as you ordered from the states?
    I too can’t find these available in the uk.

It not just the weight saving I’m after, but I used to be a magnet for thorn punctures.

Denis99
    Free Member

I have used them in the past, very light, a little fiddly to fit, but worked well.

The only issue for me was when I went to change tyres the rim strip came away with the tyre and I wasn’t able to re use the strip.

If you don’t change tyres often then it’s a good idea.

Just bear in mind, on his website he does show using some light adhesive to secure the strip to the bead of the tyre for re use.

Again,I tried this, but didn’t seem to work very well for me.

roverpig

with 1 layer of duck tape to give colour through the holes in the rim and 1 layer of gorilla tape over that. Easy to inflate and has been ok for last few months.

I did pretty much the same with the DT rims and it’s been fine for the past six months or so (including one change of tyres). The gorilla tape has a cloth part which can soak up a bit of sealant. So, when they fail, I’ll look for a more “plastic” tape. But I’m still waiting.

rOcKeTdOg

I used 70mm wide electrical tape on my 2250’s. Two wraps, tubeless first time. Fatty stripper is too fiddly & expensive

The-Duke

No import duty but might just have been lucky, I’ve heard it can be hit and miss with goods from the states whether you end up paying or not

slimjim78
    Free Member

They’re fortunate in that they work well, and no-one else seems to produce a clone.

Whilst waiting for a set to ship I made my own versions by purchasing a couple of extra wide latex resistance bands (be careful, most are really thick and weigh a lot), cutting to length, and then using good old puncture repair glue spread thinly over approx 3″ length and sticking the other end down and leaving overnight. (use too much glue and it burns through the latex).
    Worked an absolute treat, although, only cost a few pounds less than ordering legit ones from the states in the end.

When my fattystripper’s eventually arrived I was slightly pleased to see that their product appears to be made using almost exactly the same method – with roughly the same overlap applied where the strip is glued/bonded to form a loop.

motozulu
    Free Member

Worked a treat on my non tubeless ready rims and tyres (once I’d built up the bed with foam) still going strong now.
    A lot lighter than the split tube method – though they are (probably) one use. The latex bonds to the tyre bead, I know this as having just gone to swap the terrible in mud Larry with a Nate, the fattystrippers tape comes away with the tyre – might be able to remount as is, we’ll see.
    Anyway – at 14 quid delivered? for a pair – I’m happy to stick with em.

Hope this helps.

Tubeless on One One rims

slimjim78
    Free Member

For the record, I found I didn’t need to use the foam bed – just a plain old rim strip on the notoriously tricky to go tubeless on-one OEM type rims – saying that, I do have a good compressor.

motozulu
    Free Member

You are lucky then – no way could I get the buggers to inflate without building the bed up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fatty stripper tubeless’ is closed to new replies.