• This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by accu.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fattists- Surly Bud on the rear?
  • Northwind

(I’ll ask this on uk fatbikes too, just looking for as many opinions as possible)

Anyway- Jumbo Jim terrible in mud, Bud fits in the rear, someone suggested 2 Buds is better for non-snow use than Bud/Lou. Bike rarely sees snow or sand but does get slithered down enduro world series race stages- so grip, volume required.

So- anyone tried it? I can’t really usefully test it with the one I have, because with a JJ on the front it’s all just kind of slippery death…

The Bud certainly looks faster, tbh I’d have taken Lou for the front and Bud for the rear…

firestarter
    Free Member

Unrelated but have you changed the cranks on yours?

Northwind

Thanks for your contribution 😆 Not yet, I got paralysed with chainring size and tyre indecision, I’ve got a set of aeffects in a shopping basket with some german company though. But cinch oval chainrings are bloomin expensive.

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol OK thanks I’m the same tbh with chainrings. Thinking 1×11 now as it’s as dear as getting 1×10 with expander and the front emech thing seems a pain in modern groupsets. And then it’s 30 or 32t or maybe 28 then again oval 30 or 32 haha

Northwind

Yeah, I’m maybe even going 28T oval tbh- way lower than on my other bikes but I don’t really use the top gear with my 32T oval. Pushing a fatbike along gets pretty hard as the speed goes up I reckon.

This decision has been made easier by me knackering the NDS crankarm. TBH I probably wouldn’t have bothered, otherwise.

firestarter
    Free Member

I just wasn’t sure how the chainline would end up if I stuck with stock crank. I’ll have to think some more 🙂 ring size wise your right I’d rather run out if gears going down than going up

40mpg

The Buds very much a directional/steering tyre with the central and two mid in-line ridges of nobs. Not sure you’d get the best traction with one, hence the Lou. They are great front tyres though.

Regarding chainrings, I run 28 front with Sunrace 11-40 back and havent quite run out of gears. But then if I’m going that fast its probably down hill and I can stop pedalling and enjoy the view 😀

rickmeister

North wind, if your selling the JJ’s, I’m interested.

No mud here in Black Forest …

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Stick a few pies inside them before you pop them in the post.

Northwind

Not selling rick, I’ll keep them for drier times.

Northwind

**** it, 28T absoluteblack ring and aeffect cranks ordered. And all because I need some replacement spikes for my ice spikers 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol where did you order. Did you get the 190mm ones? And finally do they come with all the required spacers as I’ve been confused as **** looking at them

Northwind

bike-mailorder.com have the 190mm, 170mm arm version in stock. I’d be lying if I said I was 100% sure this is the right part, though… If I understand the RF charts right, the 170mm spaced aeffect with a flipped chainring should work too but I couldn’t find any in stock anywhere that’ll ship to europe so, what the heck, massive q factor it is. I’ve a feeling the chainline’ll be very tight on the tyre with the 170s anyway and who knows what the 3rd party ring does to things. So, educated guesses.

As for spacers etc I’m just going to deal with that later but I think they should.

firestarter
    Free Member

Btw not sure why your asking but I’ve read lou is very slightly smaller than a bud

Also read on mtbr as you mentioned bud bud is a good combo tho. What’s the clearance like in the dune with a bud in there

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks for that you must have replied while I typed

I saw a chart I think it was the expensive next cranks that the 190mm ones with ring flipped gave a 20mm smaller q factor but Christ knows

I’ll hang fire and let you be my Guinea pig lol

Thanks 😉

Northwind

Pressure dependent, believe it or not. Doesn’t fit at all at 30psi (tyre fitting pressure) but at 9psi which is probably harder than I’ll ever run it, it shrinks and has about 6-7mm clearance at the tightest spots (which include that weird boss right at the back of the seatstay arch- mudguard mount?). So it’s still pretty tight, but looking at how the tyre picks up mud, I think it’s OK.

TBH the stock cranks are fine really, or mine were til I knackered the taper on the NDS one.

firestarter
    Free Member

Mad eh. I’ll probably leave mine til I wear bits out but it probably won’t be long in this mud we are having. I’m on floaters at the min way better than the jims. I’m saving jims til summer. I swapped the brakes to deore too so I could stop

rickmeister

Not selling rick, I’ll keep them for drier times.

Probably the rubber will have perished before then…

russyh
    Free Member

North wind, I fitted my aefect crank and absolute black chain ring yesterday and took my fatty out for a spin! Good choice, chain line is shocking on 1×11 OOF so I need to have a fiddle I think, will post a seep rate thread with pics later

motorman
    Free Member

The difference between bud and lou for traction is negligible. The bud however rolls much better than lou.

scaredypants

The difference between bud and lou for traction is negligible

on dry trails only, presumably ? – there’s barely any lateral knobbage (?) at all on that

DaveE

I’m running a Lou on the front. Theory is that is similar to a Nate. I’m still running a 4.8 Jim on the back but it’s not great in the mud, but it’s light and rolls fast.

russyh
    Free Member

Interesting that Dave, I recently changed to Nates front and Rear, but find they have made the bike feel very heavy and numb. I feel link I could do with some kind of compromise rear tyre that’s light, roles reasonably and has some traction in mud. Guess that’s the holy grail. The mamouths I had fitted before the nates were great until there was any kind of mud! They then became lethal.

rickmeister

I’m findin eBay.de good for picking up euro shops selling bits, it’s where I found rf 100mm bb, 170 cranks for 190 rear bikes..

accu
    Free Member

i`m back on nates, front and rear..
    as russyh said a bit numb and slow on tarmac, but traction is
    brilliant in mud and snow.. will also search for a better rolling rear tyre as long as there is no snow..
    JJ are a blast in summer on dry trails, but completely useless in the mud

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fattists- Surly Bud on the rear?’ is closed to new replies.