Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fat 650 tyres on gravel/cx bikes….
  • scotroutes

Has anyone opted to go down a wheel size in conjunction with fitting wider tyres – so 650×2″ rather than 700x35mm? Just wondering what your experience has been and reasons for doing so (assuming frame clearance, BB height)?

oliverracing

Nope, wouldn’t fit as my seat stays stay quite narrow on both my CX bikes so no chance, I think you’ll find this is the case on 99% of CX bikes too.

I do own a monstercross bike though (29×2.2 tyres currently) which is one of the most awesome bikes EVER, almost as fast as a CX bike on the smooth but able to ride pretty much anything with the extra volume.

paulb2

I’ve been looking at bikes with this capability but haven’t really considered it beyond the potential for swapping wheels depending on whether the terrain was predominantly dry roads or muddy tracks.

kimi
    Free Member

I use compass switchback hills on my Stoater, the tyre’s 650b x 48. I’d be reluctant to go thinner now. They tyres are lightweight, tubeless, floaty and fast.. haven’t found a down side yet to be honest.

aP
    Free Member

I’m waiting for delivery of my Bokeh rolling chassis with 650b wheels, I’ll either be using Thunder Burts or Compass Loup Loup tyres depending upon what kind of riding we’re doing.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Burts don’t fit on a Bokeh

kimi
    Free Member

keen to try Thunderburts too..

these are the switchback hills..

aP
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member
    Burts don’t fit on a Bokeh

Really? Bummer, I’ve looked at the relative sizing and I thought they might do seeing as they claim 50mm with guards. I’ll ask Cal.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

That’s from someone on Instagram, said spin fine but when actually ridden under power they rubbed, said they measured up as 53mm and Bokeh says 50mm max

craigm4son is the account

aP
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll find out in March….

jobro
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll find out in March…

No, I’ve tried them and they rub. Now using Conti RaceKing instead, and to be honest they do a better job than Burts. Strikes me the 650b option needs some decent tread or why bother. Its a fine line as well when the 650b option should be replaced with a std. mountainbike.

birdage

Tried a burt on my Gryphon. It was great up until a flint shredded the sidewall and a bugger to get it off. Have thought about getting a snakeskin version as it worked well in a lot of local conditions but concerned it might not be strong enough.

wilbert

I was thinking about this the other day, for my Croix de Fer. Decided that new wheels, tyres and discs (assuming keeping 700c wheels for spare / road use) is getting a bit pricey.

Will prob try fatter 700c first. Hoping that Surly Knard or WTB Nano will fit??

aP
    Free Member

jobro – Member
    Thanks, I’ll find out in March…
    No, I’ve tried them and they rub.

R’s. I have a Fargo for bigger, heavier, muddier, Maybe I’ll just go for the Panaracer Comet instead.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

29 x 2 inch tyres will fit in my Vaya, i haven’t ridden it with tyres that wide yet, I’ve just tried my girlfriends stans tyres in the frame and they just about fit, I’ve also tried a shwalbe marathon supreme 2 inch tyre in there and that fits too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fat 650 tyres on gravel/cx bikes….’ is closed to new replies.