Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Fattening a 29er, or 650b+ aka 27.5+ tyres.
  • epicyclo

Has anyone tried a wheelset with one of the 650b+ (aka 27.5″+) tyres?

And other than the WTB tyre, what others are available?

The 650b+ is more or less the same diameter as a 29er, and I like the idea of being able to use these on a 29er frame for the added cush. (Although I suspect they probably prove to have too little clearance)

After getting a fatbike, I was going to cull out my 29ers because they don’t get ridden much now, but after seeing the improvement 2.8″ Dirt Wizards made to my ancient 1×1, I’d like to try a fattened 29er to see if it’s worth keeping mine.

Seeing as I already have a set of 650b rims, this would only involve building a wheelset and buying thetyres.

(Yes, I know about 29er+ bikes, but I do not intend buying another bike, this is to make an existing bike more useable)

scotroutes

There’s the Trax 3.25″ tyre too. I suspect that will be too fat for most 29ers (chainstay and chainline/BB issues) but would fine in a normal fatbike (4″) frame. Certainly an option I’ll be considering.

http://veetireco.com/product/trax-fatty/

Some more info here:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gasventinove-start-prod-of-a-650b-plus-frame

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    There’s the Trax 3.25″ tyre too. I suspect that will be too fat for most 29ers (chainstay and chainline/BB …

That was the route I was originally intended for summer use, but there’s no way that size will fit any of my 29ers.

Thanks for the links.

takisawa2

What fork are you / will you be running ?
    A few rigid 29er forks will take a 29+.
    At the back a 26″ Dually with a 26×3″ Knard…?
    Not sure what that takes the actual dia up to.

Doesn’t seem to be any wide 27.5″ rims, let alone a 27.5×3″ tyre.

Bregante

EB14: WTB Shows Trail Blazer 27.5×2.8″ Tire/Rim, Plus Why 27.5+ May be the new 29+

Not available just yet in the UK as far as I can see though

martinxyz
    Free Member

They are about 3 weeks away,Bregante. Got a few on order but not in any rush for them. I’ve still to build a wheel/wheels.
    RE: Rims. Have a look at at Stans Hugo 52mm rims,Taki.

damascus
    Free Member

Kinesis ff29 at core bike 2015

epicyclo

martinxyz – Member
    They are about 3 weeks away,Bregante. Got a few on order but not in any rush for them. I’ve still to build a wheel/wheels.

Are they for the shop or you Martin?

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s this posting on Dr Jon’s blog https://drj0nswanderings.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/wtb-trailblazer-2-8-27-5-revolution/ which I got to from the Cotic news page.

A 29er frame with rigid forks aligned with semi-fat tyres on 650b wheels could be a winner for long distance or bikepacking but might not suit those who lust after knarly downhill. Depending on clearances there’d be a lot more frames available.

kuman
    Free Member

What about 29plus front ? I have put knard on front of my genesis fortitude (standard 445mm fork), on hope enduro rim setup tubeless. First ride yesterday and I’m impressed, plenty more cush and decent grip, rolls fast as well.

singlespeedstu

The more I think about this 650B+ stuff the more I think it makes sense.
    I’ve been running a 29+ on the front of my Jones since they became available.
    I love the feeling of the larger volume. It’s almost as good as a full fat tyre some of the time and a lot better a lot of the time for general trail riding.
    However having tried a Krampus it kind of felt like the bigger diamiter on the rear was a little odd.
    So my thinking is that the 650B+ should have the same floaty feel as 29+ but with a slightly quicker feel.
    Mmm maybe i should give it a go.

epicyclo

singlespeedstu – Member
    ….However having tried a Krampus it kind of felt like the bigger diamiter on the rear was a little odd.
    So my thinking is that the 650B+ should have the same floaty feel as 29+ but with a slightly quicker feel.
    Mmm maybe i should give it a go.

That about sums it up.

If I was buying from scratch I may have considered a 29er+. But it’s wanting to get some use out of what I’ve got and the positive experience of seeing how good the 1×1 is with fatter 2.8″ Dirt Wizards that’s got me thinking along these lines.

1×1 + DW = fun++

martinxyz
    Free Member

Myself, but I’ll probably not be using two of them straight away. You can build a wheel and fire it on before I use it if you want to try it for clearance.

martinxyz
    Free Member

(and ride it too, after fitting the bludy thing ;O) )

Mbnut
    Free Member

A bit of thread resurrection.

I have a 29er HT frame I am looking at converting with an existing set of 650b 35mm wide wheels.

I have had a look about but can’t find any 2.8/3.0 tyres that look right for the job.

Both the Panaracer Nimble and the VeeTire Trax lack any sort of tread. The WTB Trail Blazer looks like it would be ok for the rear… once the Trail Boss arrives it would be a good match with it on the front.

Have I missed any and if so what and where can I get them from?

Cheers

singlespeedstu

Not ridden it in any real filth yet but so far the Trax Fatty and Trailblazer are working well on this.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vYp6fD]Yelli.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Really toying with this idea for the Stache (old 29er version rather than the new fatty one!). I am 650b+ curious and seriously toying with the idea of a bouncy one in the future! Just waiting for the demo bike to come in for a play!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

the VeeTire Trax lack any sort of tread.

Looks alright to me…

Is that what you were looking at?

Really toying with this idea for the Stache (old 29er version rather than the new fatty one!).

Please drop me a line if you try this. I’m thinking of same.

boxelder

Nobby Nics look good in 2.8 and 3″, when they arrive. Not sure when due or cost though.

variflex
    Free Member

spec now do a 3″ purgatory. building up a set now with purg on the front (fits in 29er pikes on scraper rims) and wtb trailblazer on the rear

Mbnut
    Free Member

That picture of the Vee Tire Fatty Trax looks better than the image I was looking at.

In an ideal world I would go for the Nobby Nic but with no idea when they are likely to be available and the winter slop already murdering my ‘best’ bike I may have to take a punt on what is out there already.

That Yelli looks fun…. I have a Singular Buzzard, got my fingers crossed I can squeeze a 2.8 in the back end.

Bregante

I’m increasingly curious about this 650b+ shenanigans. My only mtb is an Orange Gyro 29er which is limited to a 2.2″ 29er tyre on the back but this is only due to the tyres “height” as it rubs on the seat tube with anything bigger than a 2.3″ under full compression. Clearance width-wise seems fine and if the overall diamater is close to a 29er then it shouldn’t screw up bottom bracket clearance unduly either?

Anyone tried it on an orange 29er of any idea what sort of chain stay clearance I’d need for something like a 2.8″ tyre on 30mm internal width rims? (thinking along the lines of the new superstar rims to keep costs down)

Mbnut
    Free Member

The Purg could be a good front end option too.

I am in the south east, often at Surrey Hills, anyone in the area that would be happy to let me pop their 2.8 into the back of my bike to see if it’ll fit.

A cuppa and a cheese straw for your troubles.

singlespeedstu

This might help some of you.
    2.8 Trailblazer on Scraper rim. It’s grown a bit after being ridden and now 71mm wide.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wEaV9k]69mm.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Mbnut
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you know your centre of axle to outside edge of tyre measurement do you?

I have a 2.35 650b in the frame right now and it looks like it is going to be tight going to a 2.8 but my fingers are crossed.

takisawa2

This is a 29 x 2.35 Ralph on a TN719 against a 27.5 x 2.8 Trailblazer on cheap (Orange OE) rim, measuring roughly 28-30mm internally. The difference is the height of the tyre from the rim. Ride wise, they are poles apart due to pressures they run at. Ralph’s at about 28-30, the trailblazers at about 18-20.
    I’ve tried full 29+ on a Krampus, & yes it’s a real roll over everything sort of ride, but (to me) slightly at the expense of acceleration & slow speed nimbleness ness. But the 29+ / 27.5+ combo loses a bit of the ultimate hoonability, but it gains in slower speed & definitely accelerates better. My SIR.9+ is right where I want it now.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vWNDK5]IMAG0136[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

singlespeedstu

I don’t suppose you know your centre of axle to outside edge of tyre measurement do you?

No but I could measure it for you.
    TBH you’d be better of knowing the measurement from the center of the axle to the wides point of the tyre casing as this will be the decider if it fits in your frame or not.

Bregante

TBH you’d be better of knowing the measurement from the center of the axle to the wides point of the tyre casing as this will be the decider if it fits in your frame or not.

Yep. Had a measure of the swingarm clearance on the Gyro this afternoon and came to the same conclusion because if the widest point was at the outer edge of the circumference (obviously it won’t be) then it would be a very close run thing on mine.

singlespeedstu

I’ll try to remember to measure it up tomorrow.

singlespeedstu

320ish from center of axle to the widest point of the casing.

alexh
    Free Member

Stu, are bikes are very similar. What rim did you use up front

650+ yelli

Bregante

Thanks for the measurements Stu, looks like this might be a goer! 8)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Fattening a 29er, or 650b+ aka 27.5+ tyres.’ is closed to new replies.