• This topic has 261 replies, 90 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 262 total)
  • Fatism
  • miketually
    Free Member

Fizzy drinks are bad, but juice shoots and the like are bad too and loads of kids drink those.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think fruit shoots are not as bad, having much less sugar, but they are still full of sweetners, which may also be bad.

IanW
    Free Member

Fruit shoots are one of the worse drinks available.

There everything this thread is about perfectly encapsulated in an overpackaged, overmarketed container.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think they are one of the worst drinks. Pop is far worse.

My kids don’t even like them. However, there is next to no sugar in them. There’s much more sugar in real fruit juice. And whoever says ‘just give them water’ must never have had kids imo.

jekkyl

Stella, crisps & nuts after night rides, mmm yum. Am I overweight? Yup, do I wish I was thinner? Yup, do I like food n drink? Yup, *shrugs* what you gonna do?

IanW
    Free Member

My kids love water, the fridge is full of it nicely chilled. Sometimes they make it up with squash. Mostly without though, my daughters school doesnt even allow any kind of fruit juice, they can only have water. They all look pretty happy.

BTW Fruit shoots have 23g of sugar in each bottle thats around 5 teaspoons in each of thos dinky little bottles.

They are a cheap sugary product cynically marketed at kids.

nickc

Molly mine pretty much drank just water as wee kids. Water is still eldest’s drink of choice and youngest likes her juice v weak.

It can be done.

I might read the whole thread when I can get round to it, however – I have quite a light frame, so even at 6ft, I looked a bit of a biffer at 15st. Luckily for me, it’s quite easy for me to lose weight and currently sit somewhere between 11.5-12st and 30″ waist.

Biking mates used to take the piss, as we now do to someone who’s taken my place, but that’s banter between mates. My change in physique has partly been down to going to the gym and this also seems to have encouraged others to do so – so that’s a positive.

With regards to eating, I also try and pass on eating tips – at least what works for me. Some people take heed and find it works.

With regards to the cost of healthy eating, obviously not across the whole scale of meals, but an example – I’d imagine, folk who work from their car tend to complain about lack of options. Go and find a Morrisons – their salad bar is fantastic and you can get a really healthy box that will last you all day, for half the price of a Big Mac meal.

zilog6128

Yup, do I like food n drink? Yup, *shrugs* what you gonna do?

Assume this is a rhetorical question, but it is possible to enjoy eating healthy food, or exercise restraint and enjoy unhealthy food as treats rather than constantly. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

BTW Fruit shoots have 23g of sugar in each bottle thats around 5 teaspoons in each of thos dinky little bottles.

Ah, I was looking at the low sugar ones. I thought they were all low sugar, but I never buy them so I hadn’t looked closely.

It can be done.

Depends on the kid I think, as with most things. Kids love sweet stuff, generally – always have and always will. I think we do well to keep as much of a lid on it as we do.

hora
    Free Member

Fruit shoots have 23g of sugar in each bottle thats around 5 teaspoons in each of thos dinky little bottles.

Seriously? Source? The reason I ask is Mrshora swears by them in pubs whereas I think they are crock.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s on the Britvic website.

I’d clicked on the low sugar ones without realising it when I looked.

IanW
    Free Member

Fruit shoots were the subject of a C4 documentry recently.
    I didnt like them beforehand, mostly because I’m tight but secondly after tasting one I realised just how mega strong they are.
    It’s the subtle marketing “fruit” shoot that makes you think there ok but actually there pretty much the same as coke or whatever.

I only started taking an interest in this stuff whilst losing weight myself, the outcome of much reading on the subject is that sugar is the cause of the problem. The stuff is everywere, very difficult to avoid especially in foods marketed at kids and it is the problem not fats or lack of exercise.

Heres a link to some TED talks, its a bit long winded but the Lustig one “Sugar: The Bitter Truth” is worth ago.

TED Talks

If you have time I would also recomend the Albert Bartlett one on population growth and my favourite Amy Cuddy on body language, not sure what its about but I could watch her all day.

molgrips
    Free Member

the outcome of much reading on the subject is that sugar is the cause of the problem.

I agree, except for it being difficult to avoid. But people don’t know not to buy processed crap.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Just like smokers dont realise its bad for them and those that dont exercise have not been told that its better to exercise.
    they do know it is just that it is easier to not act.

zilog6128

I don’t know, molgrips probably has a point. On the last page he was swearing blind fruit shoots were healthy. So if even he can display such ignorance, how do mere mortals have a chance… 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

On the last page he was swearing blind fruit shoots were healthy.

I bloody well was not!

piemonster

hora – Member
    Fruit shoots have 23g of sugar in each bottle thats around 5 teaspoons in each of thos dinky little bottles.

Seriously? Source? The reason I ask is Mrshora swears by them in pubs whereas I think they are crock.

POSTED 35 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

http://www.britvic.co.uk/en/Our-brands/Fruit-Shoot.aspx

Am I looking at the same things, looks like 10gm to me!?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

as a race, we humans are addicts, addicted to sugar.

am i fatist? yep.

theres a big bit of my brain that tells me its something they can / should do something about but theres also a knowledge that many people inherit the way they eat from their parents or the environment they grow up in. Its not a gene they inherit, just a habit. so I can usually temper myself not to outwardly say or inwardly think much about it, to deal with the person for who they are.

But, yes I am fat-ist.

zilog6128

I bloody well was not!

I may be exaggerating slightly, 😀 the point is you are right when you say sugar and added crap is very difficult to avoid because it’s everywhere, and processed foods are unfortunately extremely ingrained in our culture now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. I’m no health freak really but I’m getting pretty turned off by all the processed artifical foods masquerading as meals, but lots of people seem to yum them down.

The fewer ingredients on the packet the better, I reckon. Generally speaking at any rate.

Re sugar: For me, somehow, sweet treats (not too processed mind!) are REALLY REALLY good. I mean seriously. I bloody LOVE them. It really does make me sad when I don’t have them. Like giving up watching movies or something.

AdamW
    Free Member

@piemonster

Looked at orange one, 10g per 100ml. The bottles are 200ml, so that makes 20g per bottle.

That’s quite a bit. I think the other flavours have different quantity of sugar (11g/12g per 100ml).

piemonster

The bottles are 200ml

DOH!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Fruit drinks will have a lot of sugar as there is a lot of sugar in [most] fruit

Grape juice is 16 g sugar per 100ml for example

irelanst
    Free Member

True enough, but there’s not much fruit in a “fruit shoot”

My daughter likes them if they are diluted a bit. The bottles are a handy size as well, I use them for running sometimes, a full size bottle can be clumsy if your only out for an hour.

IanW
    Free Member

I took the 23g from wikipedia but thats intresting Britvic should choose to use per 100ml rather per bottle and also I wonder if those rda’s are for children or adults?

If there adults it means that one bottle is in the region of 50% a childs rda of sugar.(if there actually is a recomended amount?)

They are slippery feckers you see.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think fruit shoots are not as bad, having much less sugar, but they are still full of sweetners, which may also be bad.

…or it may not.

wwaswas

They are slippery feckers you see.

try not greasing them – unlubed children are a lot easier to get dressed.

zilog6128

Fruit drinks will have a lot of sugar as there is a lot of sugar in [most] fruit

Grape juice is 16 g sugar per 100ml for exampleEat fruit, don’t drink fruit juice. You only think it’s good for you because the people selling it tell you it is.

I took the 23g from wikipedia but thats intresting Britvic should choose to use per 100ml rather per bottle

Interesting, or an example of manufacturers trying to manipulate the consumer? Single serving items should have the nutritional information listed by serving not per 100ml or 100g

andymc06
    Free Member

Everyone should lighten up. 🙂

piemonster

I took the 23g from wikipedia but thats intresting Britvic should choose to use per 100ml rather per bottle and also I wonder if those rda’s are for children or adults?

Have a look at the Fruit Shoot website, clearly aimed at kids. If there is nutritional data there it’s hidden.

It’s a separate site to the Brit Vic site, its almost like its designed to deflect attention away from what’s actually in them.

irelanst
    Free Member

Interesting, or an example of manufacturers trying to manipulate the consumer? Single serving items should have the nutritional information listed by serving not per 100ml or 100g

Or the manufacturer simply complying with the EU guidelines for labeling?

molgrips
    Free Member

Have a look at the Fruit Shoot website, clearly aimed at kids

Welcome to the 20th century.

zilog6128

Or the manufacturer simply complying with the EU guidelines for labeling?

That would be their excuse, yes of course. No reason why they can’t choose to optionally label it per serving as well though, which would be much more useful to consumers.

takisawa2

Depite being obese I dont recall anyone catching me up & passing me round Cannock last week. Must have been 20 racing snakes either wheezing their way up the hill or collapsed at the top.

Christ, he’s on a singlespeed

Said one.

And he’s fat

Said another.
    🙂
    Naturally, I was deeply hurted. 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

that would explain why all the top end cyclists carry so much weight then wont it 😕

iainc

i have just eaten 2 packets of crisps – 360 cals in all…..feel quite guilty now !

Jamie
    Free Member

Depite being obese I dont recall anyone catching me up & passing me round Cannock last week

Cannock is quite narrow in places, and you’ve said you’re quite wide in places, so they probably couldn’t get past if they wanted. 😀

baby
    Free Member

You could go back to how things were. Why not get a job in a factory that’s 5 miles from your house operating a machine standing up, walk there and back every day, then spend what’s left of evenings digging in the garden to grow food or maybe washing clothes by hand..?

Nah, I think I’d rather stick with chatting up strangers on the internet whilst waiting for some java script to run. Stopping off in my Audi on the 60 mile commute to buy a ready meal and a bottle of red from M&S (hopefully they’ll have some Peanut Butter ice cream in stock too). Then it’s a night of ignoring the mrs whilst she tries to disect Corrie.

Happy days.

natrix
    Free Member

Welcome to the 20th century

The rest of us have been in the 21st century for quite some time now……….

Incidentally, some of my best friends are fat 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Fatism’ is closed to new replies.