• This topic has 261 replies, 90 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 262 total)
  • Fatism
  • molgrips
    Free Member

It does however make me angry to see obese kids, that is child abuse.

Well you should hold fire there too. Our kid is pretty damn chunky, but she always has been ever since she was still being breast fed. And she eats pretty well compared to most kids. And surprisingly little of it too, which makes me wonder what she’s actually made of.

So of course many kids are being overfed, but don’t judge without knowing. Which is the point of this thread.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is it so wrong to have a dig a fat people? It seems to be socially acceptable to have a dig at smokers. Both are bad for the individual, is it wrong to encourage a healthy body through mocking/abuse?

No

I put the following on facebook after the missus exercise shy aunt posted a load of crap on facebook about how I was useless and deserved no sympathy for breaking my arm and should grow up etc etc etc.

“If one more fat person tells me to take up a sensible for of exercise I’m going to repeat the question back to them, then punch them”

Her husband came upto me at a family gathering and shook my hand and said “you’re brave”.

stumpy01

joolsburger – Member
    I went from well built, toned and fit to being 19 stone in my early forties and have spent the last year or two losing it to get back to a good weight for my build and being fit again.
    In my personal experience it’s was mostly just lacking self discipline, eating too much and doing too little. It’s very easy to blame other people or circumstance for obesity and there is a multi billion pound industry happy to agree with you and offer you a solution (at a cost).

Truth be told for 90% of people who are fat it’s simply a case of sticking too much tucker in your pie hole and doing nothing to burn it off. Does that warrant people being prejudiced, no but equally fat people need to be told to stop being fat and the best way to avoid feeling bad about your weight is to sort it out..

+1, in general of course. Also IMO, of course.

Most (pretty much all) of the people I know who are overweight and complain about it while trying to lose weight, don’t seem to be trying very hard.
    Daily ‘treats’, very little exercise, driving short distances instead of walking, forgetting to include certain things they’ve eaten in their ‘calorie counting’ but they complain that the weight isn’t coming off.
    I am not saying it is easy, as I don’t believe it is. But kidding yourself that you are doing all you can and you can’t possibly eat any less than you do or exercise anymore than you currently do, when ‘treating’ yourself to a grab bag of crisps on a Fri night (800 cals) and then ‘burning it off’ by walking a mile the next morning isn’t going to work.

IanW
    Free Member

Molegrips-

I used the term obese as opposed to overweight and meant in the sense most of use would recognise as obese.
    Kids do go through stages when there “chunky” grow out of it with age.

Theres a difference though, theres kids that are seriously obese to the extent that it stops them participating in activities and probably lowers there self esteem.

I feel sorry for them, almost guilty for my part in the society that lets that happen to so many kids.

wwaswas

just appeared on my twitter timeline:

A type of liver disease once thought to afflict primarily adult alcoholics appears to be rampant in children.

Some 1 in 10 children in the U.S., or more than 7 million, are thought to have the disease, according to recent studies.

The condition, in which the normally rust-colored organ becomes bloated and discolored by yellowish fat cells, has become so common in non-drinkers that it has been dubbed nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324549004579064903051692782?mg=reno64-wsj.html%3Fdsk%3Dy

miketually
    Free Member

Our kid is pretty damn chunky, but she always has been ever since she was still being breast fed. And she eats pretty well compared to most kids. And surprisingly little of it too, which makes me wonder what she’s actually made of.

Conversely, my kids eat like horses – we just can’t fill them up – but remain skinny despite watching “too much” TV and occasionally being driven to school.

zilog6128

Wwaswas, while you’re here I’ll get my red pen out and correct your error from page 2. 😀

although cheap meat tends to either be very fatty (and therefore unhealthy)

Natural, unprocessed fats, including animal fats are not unhealthy (in moderation of course). Quite the opposite, in fact. And in general, people aren’t fat because they eat too much fat, sugar is the main culprit. In any case, eating fat doesn’t make you fat – it’s all turned to energy in the body. It’s only when you have a surplus of energy that it (whatever it was, sugar, fat, etc) gets transformed into fat to be stored.

The myth of natural fats being bad for you is something which (tinfoil hat on) has been peddled to us by corporations trying to sell us their so-called “healthy” alternatives.

molgrips
    Free Member

But kidding yourself

Kidding yourself is the root cause of a lot of problems, not just weight.

Re livers.. high fructose corn syrup is in most processed foods in the US, it’s really quite amazing. And parents actually let their kids drink soda, it’s a normal thing to be drinking for adults and kids alike.

bearnecessities

Conversation at work this week with a new work colleague lady person.

Lady: “So like yeah, we had a pizzabab at like 3am”
    Me:”A what”
    Lady:”A pizzabab”
    Me:”Tell me that’s what I think it is”
    Lady:”It’s a calzone, but stuffed with kebab meat”
    Me:”Oh my”

It’s no help to this topic, but I have to try one of these pizzababs as soon as possible, so this is kind of a PSA, and anyhow this thread is slowly disappearing up its own potato.

cat69uk
    Free Member

The nation is simply ‘Over fed, but under nourished’!

footflaps

A type of liver disease once thought to afflict primarily adult alcoholics appears to be rampant in children.

Some 1 in 10 children in the U.S., or more than 7 million, are thought to have the disease, according to recent studies.

The condition, in which the normally rust-colored organ becomes bloated and discolored by yellowish fat cells, has become so common in non-drinkers that it has been dubbed nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.

They should get their kids to drink more beer then….

vickypea
    Free Member

I’m surprised at the responses like ‘BS’ and ‘clinically stupid’ to the person who said from their experience, recovery is within a depressed person’s control.
    I also believe that to be largely (though not universally) true. I’m unable to tolerate most medications and over the past year, I’ve realised that I have to help myself, and have had success with managing depression, frequent migraine, and a back problem. I think people are more in control of their lives than they realise.

lapierrelady

I would posit, that with the exception of medical causation, problems are primarily educational. Education on what to eat, how to eat and when to eat seems obvious, but hasn’t been on a school syllabus for a long time. This site is interesting on budget eating http://agirlcalledjack.com/

lapierrelady

With regard to sugar addiction, this is also quite interesting, and from the talk I attended today, it seems that teenage alcohol intake similarly affects impulse control.http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/0/21835302

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

I have skimmed some of this thread so please forgive any repetition..

Ridicule of other people is never really acceptable.
    But we are just people with faults an’ all

Good to be reminded sometimes that all them others out there have feelings, hopes and fears too.

jekkyl

Fatty & skinny went to bed
    Fatty rolled over & skinny was dead!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We’re all going to die

Sorry, I thought you said “fatalism”…

hora
    Free Member

I firmly blame parents. If you’ve known years of a bad diet/lack of motivation it becomes ingrained. Like quitting smoking.
    When I was a kid I stayed at a friends house for a weekend. Every meal was fried. I was almost sick by the end. We never had anything fried at home.

We are all overweight? Apparently I should be 13.5stone. I’m 16 currently. If I dropped 0.5 I’d be spot on. The stats are crock. My gut needs a trim but I’m still in 34″ pants – wear the same jeans from 10yrs ago.

jekkyl

Hope you’ve washed them

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I agree with hora regarding parents. Fizzy drinks and Greggs sausage rolls seem to be a kid in a buggies staple diet in most larger towns in this country, and that’s where it all begins.

piemonster

I don’t blame any one thing, seems to me to be a multitude of reasons creating the perfect storm of expanding girth.

molgrips
    Free Member

Fizzy drinks and Greggs sausage rolls seem to be a kid in a buggies staple diet in most larger towns in this country

I dunno where you live but I’ve never seen that.

wwaswas

Been watching that ‘Fat the fight of my life’ series for the past few weeks.

What’s come across is that the people involved have all ended up using food to compensate/mask other things in their lives that they can’t cope with or don’t feel in control of.

Weight loss isn’t so much about eating less and exercising more, it’s about removing the reason why you’re eating too much. The people who’ve had the biggest success are the ones who’ve faced their ‘demons’ and felt good about themselves as a result.

Clearly they’re a bunch of people pre-selected by the tv show and maybe they were chosen for the reasons I’ve outlined above but I am convinced that, for the majority of people, weight loss is a far more complex process than just deciding to eat a bit less every day.

piemonster

To be fair I’ve seen it, just for good measure she usually had two massive bottles of Lambrini in the buggy too. Usually during the daytime rather than evening. Sharrow in Sheffield can be a special place.

piemonster

Anyway, first google result
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/dietandfitness/10126042/Britons-getting-fatter-despite-consuming-fewer-calories.html

A man in his twenties weighs around 15 lbs, 7kg, more than a man in his twenties three decades earlier, while someone in their 50s weighs 30 lbs more.

Followed by
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10044154/Britons-spend-more-than-20-hours-a-day-sitting-down.html

New research suggests the average modern Briton now spends more than 20 hours a day sitting or lying down, whether asleep or awake.

Not sure of the authority of their sources

wwaswas

I probably spend more than 20 hours a day not stood up.

I work at home at a desk, don’t have to do a school walk/cycle any more and other than the odd errand or a mid week bike ride don’t much leave the house from Monday to Friday.

piemonster

Yep me too, 7-8hrs sleep and probably 6.5hrs at work sat down. 1hr in total in the car.

Actually reckon 17-19hrs sat or lying down is fairly normal for me. I do wonder what sort of shape I’d be if I stopped running and biking. Spherical at a guess.

Thinking about it, the only thing I miss about warehousing is that I spent 80% of the day on my feet.

baby
    Free Member

New research suggests the average modern Briton now spends more than 20 hours a day sitting or lying down, whether asleep or awake.

I reckon that’s true. I train daily for 2-3 hours with additional riding or a dog walk at the weekend.

I reckon it’s unlikely I accumulate more than another hour or so with general faffing about.

Sad times.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Wwaswas

I think you have it. Seriously.

Other than that I will leave this thread due to the small minded fools that judge others on their own misguided principles. (Previous pages, stupidly read it all just now)

I’m off to cool my pi$$ before it boils over , in a bucket of iced water. After that, as a fattie I will obviously be compelled to eat the bucket and drive to the nearest burger bar and order the entire menu …..twice

piemonster

About the only compensation I have with my new job is that I have no clue what I’m doing and spent a lot of time thinking at near maximum capacity. Other than that it’s near zero activity.

The other element that’s interesting me is the normalisation of snacks in the office. On any given day I’ll be offered biscuits on at least 3 occasions, despite never eating biscuits at work. We often get members of the public come in to visit the Paramedics and to see the aircraft. They are often briefed (along with the H&S) to bring in chocolates or cake, so there is that thrown into the mix. Just for good measure every Friday is doughnut Friday.

Back in my logistics days the stock control office used to have draws literally stuffed full of snacks. Although some if them where “diet” chocolate bars so that’s ok.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sad times

Really? What were the statistics 50 years ago?

Was everyone playing badminton or riding their bike eight hours a day? I suspect not.

You could go back to how things were. Why not get a job in a factory that’s 5 miles from your house operating a machine standing up, walk there and back every day, then spend what’s left of evenings digging in the garden to grow food or maybe washing clothes by hand..?

piemonster

I’m off to cool my pi$$ before it boils over , in a bucket of iced water. After that, as a fattie I will obviously be compelled to eat the bucket and drive to the nearest burger bar and order the entire menu …..twice

Last week I ate a pot of Hagen Daaz in one sitting 😳 yet also 😀

birky
    Free Member

What’s come across is that the people involved have all ended up using food to compensate/mask other things in their lives that they can’t cope with or don’t feel in control of.

Weight loss isn’t so much about eating less and exercising more, it’s about removing the reason why you’re eating too much. The people who’ve had the biggest success are the ones who’ve faced their ‘demons’ and felt good about themselves as a result.

This.

I’ve had mild depression/low self esteem/social anxiety for a long time. I don’t drink, don’t smoke and never done recreational drugs but I do comfort eat. A lot.
    Earlier this year I had a spell of feeling quite good, managed to cut out all the crap and lost 2 stones between february and june. Back to my usual mood now and put half a stone back on.
    As above, I think with most overweight people there’s a whole lot more going on than simply greed.

miketually
    Free Member

Last week I ate a pot of Hagen Daaz in one sitting

Entire packets of biscuits are known to vanish when I’m left in the house on my own.

Asda were selling stale custard donuts a couple of months ago at 25p for a bag of six. I bought a bag. I ate a bag.

Last December, I got into a December #mincepiecount competition on Twitter; I was fourth. I aim to win this year, so I’ll be better organised and pace myself rather than eating six in a day then nothing for a day or two.

xiphon
    Free Member

The same can be said for the opposite – anorexia – by focusing on not eating, their minds are not thinking about their demons.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

We are all overweight? Apparently I should be 13.5stone. I’m 16 currently. If I dropped 0.5 I’d be spot on. The stats are crock. My gut needs a trim but I’m still in 34″ pants – wear the same jeans from 10yrs ago.

It’s ok wearing 34″ jeans but how big is your overhang, muffin top or full batch loaf? 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Whatever, haven’t read any of this, but the photo referred to by the OP is bloody funny.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Fizzy drinks and Greggs sausage rolls seem to be a kid in a buggies staple diet in most larger towns in this country

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Pretty regularly, and as I’m sure you live in South Wales, it was very prevalent the last time I was in Caerphilly.

miketually
    Free Member

I regularly see secondary school kids walking to school while drinking a massive can of Monster and eating a bag full of something made of sugar and gelatin.

But, that’s nothing new. I remember my mate’s dad telling us he always spent his dinner money on ice cream and cola, and my dad’s teeth fell out because of years of eating rhubarb dipped in sugar as a kid.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sausage rolls aren’t particularly bad on occasion, but fizzy drinks are bad. I’ve rarely seen a kid under the age of maybe 6 or 7 drinking any.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Fatism’ is closed to new replies.