• This topic has 261 replies, 90 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by IanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 262 total)
  • Fatism
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

Following on from this thread with a large lady on a bike – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/wow-tough-bike-content

Is it wrong to ostracise (if that’s the right word) fat people?

I’m faily sure there are a fair few people on here carrying more than their fair share of extra pounds, we’re mountain bikers after all! I’ll be the first to put their hand up as to being overweight – not hugely, but overweight all the same.

Is it so wrong to have a dig a fat people? It seems to be socially acceptable to have a dig at smokers. Both are bad for the individual, is it wrong to encourage a healthy body through mocking/abuse?

Cougar

Seems to be one of the few demographics left that it’s ok to take the piss out of.

My OH is a larger lady – not as big as some by a long way, curvy rather than huge and way smaller than the woman in that that picture – and gets people openly abusing her in the street on a regular basis. You can’t be racist or sexist, but it’s ok to be sizist it seems.

The woman in the pic, yeah, she’s a big lass; but she’s doing something about it. She’s on a bike rather than sat on the sofa eating cake. Shouldn’t we be applauding that rather than pointing at her?

is it wrong to encourage a healthy body through mocking/abuse?

It’s wrong to think that’s what you’re doing; you’re just destroying what little self-esteem they had left. The question is better posed as “is it wrong to make people feel like shit through mocking/abuse?”

titusrider
    Free Member

I don’t publicly ostracise, but I am privately repulsed… and it influences my behaviour etc… im sure that reflects badly on me but it is so far from my experience and my ambition that I cant help it

ps I do appreciate it when people do something about it but I cannot understand how at 30 stone they realise they need to change not at 15 stone where it would have been easier and simpler for everyone involved

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Unless they cut you up in a car when you riding and give you some verbal, when the standard STW response is “Button it …..!”

Im 4 stone over racing weight, so consider myself to be a bit of a biffer….

Just a bit mind… 😳

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d rather be fat, than like some other people on here.
    I can lose weight.
    They, it would appear, will always be ***ts.
    Yeah, I’m a bigger lad, (110kgs) and if it “Privately repulses you” then I’m sorry, but hey, you’re not the kind of person I’d like to be around.

And no, I don’t just sit on my arse eating crap all day, otherwise I wouldn’t have the brass neck to moan.

Bregante

No. The right word is Exercise

camo16
    Free Member

Being weightist isn’t cool.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ernest J Gagnon:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/06/news/a-bicycle-and-a-few-friends-lead-a-big-man-into-an-even-bigger-world_226368

Personally, I reckon that if people can go out and enjoy riding a bike, then whatever sex, size shape or colour they are all that you can say is good for them!

Peyote
    Free Member

As the overwieght populace increase the skinny will become the “outgroup”, it’s all swings and roundabouts…

Camo16 is right though.

cinnamon_girl

Yes, of course it is in the same way that it’s wrong to be judgemental of anyone. It’s neither big nor clever.

Does it make you feel good asking that question?

martinhutch

Indeed. Is it wrong to ostracise people who are judgemental bastards?

chambord
    Free Member

Pleasantly surprised by the lack of trolling so far in this thread.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Fat people just have a lack of self discipline. Leave the huge proportion of the country alone.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is it so wrong to have a dig a fat people?

Of course. There are lots of different reasons that a person might be overweight, its not just greed/laziness etc.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Yes, of course it is in the same way that it’s wrong to be judgemental of anyone. It’s neither big nor clever.

Does it make you feel good asking that question?

Surely everyone judges everyone on a daily basis don’t they? If they didn’t why would people bother fixing their hair, ironing clothes, shaving, etc.

Looks like you’ve even judged me with your leading question.

cinnamon_girl

Here’s some reading for you, written by a man too:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/sep/08/underactive-thyroid-was-slowly-killing-me

If you had any idea how rubbish the NHS can be for this disease you wouldn’t be so judgemental.

See if you can spot my comment, my name is different but includes the word ‘bike’.

Pigface
    Free Member

Amazed that Cougars OH gets abused in the street or any body does, what is wrong with some people.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

I’d rather be fat, than like some other people on here.
    I can lose weight.
    They, it would appear, will always be ***ts.
    Yeah, I’m a bigger lad, (110kgs) and if it “Privately repulses you” then I’m sorry, but hey, you’re not the kind of person I’d like to be around.

And no, I don’t just sit on my arse eating crap all day, otherwise I wouldn’t have the brass neck to moan.

absolutely spot on.

Peyote
    Free Member

Surely everyone judges everyone on a daily basis don’t they?

There’s a difference between judging someone and being judgemental though. It’s like stereotyping then recognising you are stereotyping and being aware that you may be wrong. Being judgemental I would say is acting on your judgement without being aware of the full facts. I.e. assuming all overweight people are overweight because they’re lazy and then treating them all with the same disdain because of that assumption.

kimbers

judging by the attitudes on the ‘post a pic of a girl’ thread yesterday Id say stw is a bastion of sexism, fatism and plenty of other isms
    but as its only lads having fun, its alright

cinnamon_girl

Oh and I’ve also experienced patronising at a trail centre with reference to my slowness. It was incredibly hurtful and will never return. 😐

billytinkle
    Free Member

Here’s some reading for you, written by a man too:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/sep/08/underactive-thyroid-was-slowly-killing-me

If you had any idea how rubbish the NHS can be for this disease you wouldn’t be so judgemental.

See if you can spot my comment, my name is different but includes the word ‘bike’.

Lets be fair – the levels of obeseity in this country that can be attributed to a genuine medical problem must be very low in comparison to those who are obese through bad diet and no exercise.

In reality many people like to eat foods that are laden with sugar and fat and don’t like to do much exercise.

clanton
    Free Member

I don’t mock fat people, but I won’t deny I find them repellent.
    I am no oil painting – but I watch my weight. A few years ago I gained 2 stone and loathed myself for it. Back to my normal weight, which is the same I’ve been since I was 20 (now 38).

My mate was obese – grotesquely obese. For years he was quite literally the largest individual I have ever personally known. One day he decided to take himself in hand and he is now a normal weight – taken up skydiving and loving life. No fad diets, surgery, liposuction – just simply an improved lifestyle.

As for the thyroid excuse -please. Using the figures from the article (1.5 in 1000)for every 800 fat people out there 3 have thyroid issues. What excuse are the rest using?

Your weight is one of few things in life that (aside from rare diseases) is entirely within your control.

footflaps

I don’t publicly ostracise, but I am privately repulsed… and it influences my behaviour etc… im sure that reflects badly on me but it is so far from my experience and my ambition that I cant help it

Same here.

Amazed that Cougars OH gets abused in the street or any body does, what is wrong with some people.

Strangely enough, being really skinny and a runner, I’ve had fatter people abuse me for ‘chicken legs’ etc whilst out running around Cambridge, so it cuts both ways….

kimbers

Your weight is one of few things in life that (aside from rare diseases) is entirely within your control.

partially true, but the poorest in society are the most likely to be obese, and that is more so for women

Peyote
    Free Member

and it influences my behaviour

There are lots of things I like and don’t like about people (physically, emotionally and mentally). The trick is not to let this influence your behaviour, and if you catch yourself doing it pull yourself up on it. It’s difficult and I’m not always successful, but being aware of your own bias and failings is pretty important IMO.

billytinkle
    Free Member

partially true, but the poorest in society are the most likely to be obese, and that is more so for women

My brother got talking to an owner of an indian takeaway once – turned out he’d had his business located in a posh area for a few years until it eventually went belly up due to lack of custom. The people in the well off area would only have a takeaway every couple of weeks as a treat.

He relocated to run down estate where the local peeps order takeaway nearly every other day. No shortage of customers there!

Go figure.

cinnamon_girl

Lets be fair – the levels of obeseity in this country that can be attributed to a genuine medical problem must be very low in comparison to those who are obese through bad diet and no exercise.

I would disagree. Thyroid disorders are on the increase and, as I’ve found out, it’s not always easy to get diagnosed. Having said that, mine is not the usual kind so not treatable with the standard meds.

Agreed. Decent quality food is expensive.

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. do you laugh at cleaners or shop assistants for having crap jobs? Do you laugh at homeless people for having **** up their lives?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

As for the thyroid excuse -please. Using the figures from the article (1.5 in 1000)for every 800 fat people out there 3 have thyroid issues. What excuse are the rest using?

I’m sure there’s plenty of people out there with mental conditions that affect their weight.

soulwood
    Free Member

“In reality many people like to eat foods that are laden with sugar and fat and don’t like to do much exercise”

But isn’t this just how animals behave? Our ability to secure a reliable source of food laden with energy has only happened post WW2, not a lot of time in the evolution of man. It always interests me that ‘wild’ animals will only use energy to catch food, protect their interests or to mate. Animals rarely go for a 100 mile run for the fun of it. Man has to be conditioned for exercise from an early age, otherwise we just revert to base animal instinct.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Its wrong to ostracise anyone based on how they look.

However i find the acceptance – even pride – that some have of being obese under terms like loving ones body whatever shape it is and also the excuses people use to justify being fat quite abhorant rather than them actually being fat.

But then that says something about my own hang ups as a fat guy – i am about 2 stone overweight and i hate how that makes me look and feel. There are no excuses it is is a symptom of weakness and failure on my part to get my diet under control. Nothing to be happy or accepting of there, whereas if i lose the weight then that would be something i would be proud of.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s plenty of people out there with mental conditions that affect their weight.

There was a program on last week, Welcome To The World Of Weight Loss, that basically nailed this issue as one of the main reasons for weight gain. Some of it, and I am a shrivelled up husk of a human being, was pretty heartbreaking.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Everyone has the right to feel good about there body. Everyone else can **** off.

miketually
    Free Member

So.. do you laugh at cleaners or shop assistants for having crap jobs? Do you laugh at homeless people for having **** up their lives?

Sadly, I suspect that many on here do.

But we all ‘know’ that anyone with mental health issues only have to cheers up and get themselves together, right? It’s not a real illness, etc. Just like everyone ‘knows’ that fat people are on benefits and have a massive telly.

zilog6128

Decent quality food is expensive.

true, but irrelevant. You can get just as fat eating too much smoked salmon and fine cheese.

Healthy food, on the other hand, is extremely affordable. Pasta, rice, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, frozen veg, cheap cuts of meat all cheap as chips. Maybe cheaper.

Sue_W
    Free Member

I have a huge amount of respect for someone who joined my road club – not only is she female (which puts her in a minority), but she is also overweight (which in a roadie club is fairly unusual). I have so much admiration for her courage and determination to come out every week and ride. It must take real guts and bravery.

So huge respect to anyone out there who is overweight but has found the courage to get up and get active. Keep going, and remember that most of us are admiring you not mocking.

miketually
    Free Member

Healthy food, on the other hand, is extremely affordable. Pasta, rice, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, frozen veg, cheap cuts of meat all cheap as chips. Maybe cheaper.

There’s some debate over whether pasta, rice and potatoes are healthy food…

Jamie
    Free Member

There’s some debate over whether pasta, rice and potatoes are healthy food…

Ah crap. Now you’ve gone and done it 🙁

IanMunro
    Free Member

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 262 total)

The topic ‘Fatism’ is closed to new replies.