Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Fatbikes
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Sweet, cheers 40mpg.

Frame material is more a case of habit than anything else, plus I dont like the look of the OO so much. Angles look good, tubing, meh.

VFM.. both standard and trail version are beckoning me. Bloody credit card company just offered me 2 years 0% on balance transfers too..

Suggsey
    Free Member

The cheap aspect is also what made me go with the Calibre Dune…..it’s got a decent light tyre/wheel combination and sly frame and forks, the drivetrain is only 8 speed so basically ride it like a SS until I need a different gear…..plus when it’s trashed it’s mega cheap to replace.
    I was always told it was a eureka biking experience and it really is……the lack of rolling resistance on surfaces that your brain tells you is going to be super draggy is the complete opposite. I honestly didn’t feel any slower and on the beaches it’s definitely faster than a standard tyre MTB.

iainc

40mpg – Member
    Bog standard 591 roof rack and old-skool toe straps to go round the tyres. Nothing going nowhere with that.

many thanks, that’s another of my ‘no reasons’ gone then ….

hard to see from pic – are they sitting in the sliding tyre trays, or straight on the allow carrier bit ? cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Damn, my fat curiosity has now piqued.

Ok, so I have a few questions..

A concern for me has been standards chaging constantly whilst fats find their feet. So bearings/seals/bb’s etc, all the bits that usually hate mud and grit – how much trouble do you have sourcing them, seeing as these bikes are largely used in such conditons?

Front hubs are a bit of a minefield, but I suspect the Bluto will become the default in future. Don’t rule out rigid bikes with 135mm hubs, it’s not like you’ll be swapping rigid forks or upgrading hubs in a hurry anyway.

what kind of average speeds are you managing on your usual trail runs? much up or down on your normal 26/27.5/29 runs?

Slower on a long ride (but only just), faster on most downhills (as long as it’s not continuously rocky).

do you feel more tired after a given distance riding these?

yes, but it’s marginal, I happily did 35mile commutes on mine.

can you take steep drops and hit tabletops etc (given the opportunity) just as you would a standard bike? I’d imagine you’d have to think twice about the ‘gnar’ jumps as surely gravity takes over sooner on a fat?

Ohhhhhhhh no, it’s a hooligan, and despite the wheel weight it will go sideways in the air if you make it.

How many of you ride fat and easily keep up with non-fat mates on a ride, or find you are beating them?

No problems, as above it’s maybe a bit slower overall, but unless you’re already the slowest in the group you won’t notice.

oh yeah, fat fatty riders – how low do you go with PSI before your tyres burp constantly? I’ve always assumed that fat tyres at low pressures dont mix well with lardy types?

I’m 100kg in my shreddies. I run about 10psi tubeless. Below 8 gets a bit squirmy. Weight in kg /10 = pressure in PSI would probably give a good starting point.

I’m really keen, plus I love the perceived value of the OO Trail, but I prefer to ride steel if possible. Can’t help feel that i’d prefer to run a Bluto, though. Almost want to buy the OO Trial just to drop all that weight in going tubeless too!

The original fatty is stiff, which with that much weight to wind up is a good thing. My other bikes are steel but I doubt it would suit a Fatty in the same way (not badly, but I’d see less point in it).

Postierich’s pic on Pg1 is where I want to be. If I can add silly amounts of grip to loose lines then i’d imagine a grin inducing ride is never far away.

I have never had a bad ride on mine. At worst if I’m really apathetic I’ve cut a loop short to play on the fun stuff more 🙂

40mpg

hard to see from pic – are they sitting in the sliding tyre trays, or straight on the allow carrier bit ? cheers

Sitting on the tyre trays. I take the short Thule straps off and just wrap the toestraps round the whole lot. Thats a 4.8 Bud/Lou on the left.

dovebiker

Just picking up on some points:

Thule 591 roof carrier – I simply use webbing straps.

Hub sizes – likely to standardise on 150 x15mm for front, but 135 x 15mm – will accommodate the biggest tyre sizes available. i.e. Snowshoe XXL at 5.05″

Rear is likely to settle on 190/197mm with 120mm BB – again will accommodate biggest tyres with 1x drivetrain.

Tyre pressures – been down to 3psi due to a slow puncture, never burped, just bouncy.

Decent tyres running tubeless and light wheels make a huge difference and provide the best performance upgrade. HuDus are awesome for summer and Dillinger 5 for winter. I’m less convinced for the need for sus-forks.

Speed differential – top 10 overall race finishes for me. I also set-off on a SDW Double at the same time from Winchester with a guy riding a carbon-everything 29er – differing ride strategies meant we didn’t meet again at Eastbourne – he’d gained 40 minutes in 11hrs hours – a 5% advantage.

Tired at the end of a ride? Yes, but I’d feel the same at the end of any offroad 200-miler 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Standards never settle, they just evolve.

Recently went back from silly clearances frame and100mm rims to a much more usable and all round fun 3.8 on 48mm rim in a regular 135 slidy drop out frame.

Much more versatile bike. I wont be riding the iditarod anytime soon.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also set-off on a SDW Double at the same time from Winchester with a guy riding a carbon-everything 29er – differing ride strategies meant we didn’t meet again at Eastbourne – he’d gained 40 minutes in 11hrs hours – a 5% advantage.

That’s not worth much, is it? I’d rather hear about how much faster YOU were on whichever bike.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Had/got 3 Fat Bikes

Mark 1 Salsa Mukluk 2010, a great long ride and beach riding Fat Bike

On One Fatty 2013, a fantastic trail Fat Bike, but not as good on the beach

Travers Bat Bastard with Lauf Carbonara forks 2015, the best all round Fat Bike great on trail, beach and long distance.

Buy a Fat Bike

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Travers Bat Bastard with Lauf Carbonara forks 2015, the best all round Fat Bike great on trail, beach and long distance.”

I suppose you have to say that though or you wouldnt be a very good brand ambassador.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Woke up thinking about Fat’s. A sure sign that I will buy one.

Has anyone done a ‘list’ of Fats?

I wanna festidiously compare until I can convince myself which one is right for me.

takisawa2

I half expected to have pulled the trigger on a Fatty by now, but my steel 29er running a b+/29+ combo is spot on. A little part of me wonders what/if I’m missing out on though…

flashes
    Free Member

I have 2 and maybe one more on the way….
    My Purple Pugsley has been making me smile for 5 years and I couldn’t resist building a fixed long distance off road tourer…..

slimjim78
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/151842789644

Talk to me about this frame and its geo

fd3chris
    Free Member

Does anyone know the weight of a trek Farley carbon yet? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

NormalMan

I’m still very fat “curious” and nearly bought a Dune. I held fire as I thought they may be a tad small and when I finally got a reply from Go Outdoors (nearly 2 weeks) they confirmed my fears. If anyone wants the ‘official’ measurements I can copy them over from the email they sent.

I’ll confess to having a stumbling block mentally when thinking about buying from OO but love the look of the Fatty.

mccagey
    Free Member

Has anyone here actually owned a Fat Bike Tandem yet…I’d be interested in knowing if they are actually rideable?
    Best Fat Bike Tandems

JohnClimber
    Free Member

fd3chris – Member
    Does anyone know the weight of a trek Farley carbon yet? I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

It you are worrying about the weight of a Fat Bike you won’t enjoy it long term, it’s not about saving a pound or two it’s about the fun factor

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Normal Man – Member
    I’ll confess to having a stumbling block mentally when thinking about buying from OO but love the look of the Fatty.

Why? The on One Fatty is a fantastic trail fun fat bike and now the new On One “Trail” has Bluto’s fitted so you can’t go wrong at their prices.

NormalMan

Just based around some issues a friend had with OO. Plus bits I’ve read on here if being honest.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

slimjim78 – Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/151842789644

Talk to me about this frame and its geo

Not a tapered head tube and standard QR’s on the back so not that future proof if you need to upgrade later on.

slimjim78
    Free Member

He means “it’s an on-one”

A bit like “it’s a ford” etc

I see where he’s coming from, but the Fatty does indeed look the bees knees. Worth a punt surely?

Can anyone tell me the real differences between the fatty and the trail?

Oh yeah, am I right in thinking the trail version was offered at £999 not too far back?..

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Normal Man – Member
    Just based around some issues a friend had with OO. Plus bits I’ve read on here if being honest.

The problem is that you hear about the problems because of social media and forums like this, but you don’t hear about all the good stuff.
    I’ve had 5 bikes and loads of gear off them, I’ve never been a problem either collecting or delivering.

slimjim78 – Member

He means like a Ford

Can anyone tell me the real differences between the fatty and the trail?

Oh I see ref the Ford

The Fatty is very Trail orientated but it was built around rigid forks, the Trail is built around Bluto’s.
    So if you want to take the sting out of rough trials go for the trail, if you ride smooth trail centres got for the Fatty

trout
    Free Member

No help on choosing a FatBike but stumbled on this Vid today

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBP6UThH3bA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

NormalMan

Fair comment JohnClimber.

I’m tempted, I really am. Helps I love the colour orange and have white pedals and a white/orange charge spoon sitting in my parts bin!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Nice vid. I can see a huge benefit for those gloopy winter rides. I’ve cursed those trails that suddenly turn into bog fests.

Think I’m gonna rinse my credit card. Guys, Fatty or Trail? Discuss

pacerc100
    Free Member

Just to add my 2 pence worth. I recently took the plunge and got a 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard with Blutos for a great price as the new one was coming out. My main bikes are very much XC focused coming in around 19lbs and 20lbs respectively. Like many I was concerned what a 30lbs+ monster with huge tyres was going to be like in comparison. And the answer is bloody fantastic. To be honest I don’t notice the extra weight half as much as I thought. I’m running fairly high pressures at the moment and the drag isn’t that bad either. I can still out climb most of my mates, when you ride through a big puddle the spray is like the log flume at Thorpe Park, and according to the local yoof my bike is ‘sick’. Therefore whats not to like !.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I run my fatty ( Rose Tusker1) on less than 15psi….last ride I did with it…down some -9% trails ….it soaked up all the bumps/roots etc
    Last ride I had that did that was my old Whyte 46 freerider

Northwind

slimjim78 – Member

He means “it’s an on-one”

A bit like “it’s a ford” etc

Not so much, it’s more “Don’t buy an On One, they’re known thieves”. Once you take away all the wee downsides, like no real customer service, no reliable parts support and no dependable warranty things look a lot less like good value.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I was being kind – I’ve had issues with them myself

Goldigger
    Free Member

That video trout posted is the answer to some in this thread..
    Anyone putting their good bike away for the winter

Those who said they would buy a cheapish HT would be better buying a fatbike..

takisawa2

have white pedals and a white/orange charge spoon sitting in my parts bin!

I’ve built bikes based on having a lot less component stock than that before. 😀

The way I see it, with you having these parts already, its fate & you shouldn’t mess with it.

benji
    Free Member

I’m consistently running at 6.5 psi, without issues even in rock gardens.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not so much, it’s more “Don’t buy an On One, they’re known thieves”. Once you take away all the wee downsides, like no real customer service, no reliable parts support and no dependable warranty things look a lot less like good value.

In O_O’s defence my fatty actually had a fault (stem was faulty so the headset wouldn’t remain tight for more than a couple of miles and the rear tyre exploded (completely, it was quite impressive).

They took it back, replaced the tyre, and although it took a while to isolate the issue they sorted the stem too (and took it for some test rides to be sure).

And gave me some of the new knuckleball carbon bars as an apology.

It took a while, but I’ve no complaints with the service.

As for Fatty Vs Trail, I’ve no idea. I’ve a Fatty, I’ve not really found it’s limit except in a few short sections, but I kinda want a trail to try a Bluto.

But then being O-O the frames will be £150-£200 soon enough, blutos are ‘only’ £450, O-O wheels+tyres are £250, £30 for a headset and £70 for some cranks and you’re down to needing normal spares box stuff and it’s only cost £1k (the same as the complete bike) and you’re free to upgrade the bits ytou like (TBH I’d like to get carbon wheels to make tubeless simpler, but that makes it a £1300 build + spares box). So I’m probably going to hold off till the new year and build up a custom bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Those who said they would buy a cheapish HT would be better buying a fatbike..”

based on what?

sounds like the worst justification ever…..

if i had an enduro gnarpoon(i dont) and i was buying something for the winter -it would be a skinny tired 29er – fat bikes and the mud round here dont mix*. its ok floating on top of it – but theres no traction up there….mines actually is most fun when the trails are hard pack dust / frozen or with about 3 inches of snow on. Deep mud for any extended periods where you might want to power down is a ballache.

*have a 907 with nates

NormalMan

But then being O-O the frames will be £150-£200 soon enough

Inside info or just generally reasoning?
    If the former, any likelihood of the classic steel forked fatty going on offer soon?

molgrips
    Free Member

I keep thinking about putting + tyres of some kind on the El Mar, but then I remember that the kind of riding I bought it for should have normal tyres.

NormalMan

@ molgrips – I know what you mean. I’ve spent most of the summer on the road bike (s) but will spend winter offroad mainly.
    My 29er takes b+ but I’m happy the way it rides and think I’d rather have another bike option in the shape of a fat bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Inside info or just generally reasoning?
    If the former, any likelihood of the classic steel forked fatty going on offer soon?

General reasoning.

any likelihood of the classic steel forked fatty going on offer soon?

I think there’s 1 really cheap one in the clearance section and an £800 full build at the moment if you go to “fat bikes” from the menu rather than “fatty”.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Fatbikes’ is closed to new replies.