Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)
  • Fatbikes
  • voodoo_chile

Out training today come across a guy on a fatbike ….I am getting itchy feet about getting one …seeing a lot more out and about now ….can I stroke your tyres please !!!

leffeboy

Me 2. I’m a bit meh on a lot of stuff but a fat bike is really a want. It’s a good thing that shand don’t have one…

They look like mtbs did when they first arrived. You had something that you really wanted to bounce off of things with rather than just go fast

scotroutes

Intentional irony?

cheekyget
    Free Member

I went fat in August……..Best Buy of the decade!!

If you want to feel the heat …you gotta have meat!!!…FATBIKES!! 😛

benji
    Free Member

They are great fun, depends what you want from it, I’ve got one, think it’s great but sometimes you just need a fix of extra speed. They are very confidence inspiring and got me riding things I didn’t think I could, and now I tackle said things on a normal 29er, so they have brought my riding on. Great when it snows, great for a blast with mates, but not as an xc race bike.

voodoo_chile

I must have one ….seems to be a few up round formby at the moment

firestarter
    Free Member

Leffe have young seen stands new fatty 😉

Bregante

I’m reasonably sure that Leffeboy is taking the p but it’s worth showing it again. 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Had one for over 3yrs now.
    Love it.

voodoo_chile

Teeto looking good

postierich
    Free Member

Wanted to hate fat biking but I,m struggling
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/yZxUaq]Untitled[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

bearnecessities

They still look like the drunken love child of Kate Moss & a tractor.

voodoo_chile

Front suspension or rigid ? Do you need springy forks with those big mutha tyres

rOcKeTdOg

no

anyway, you know you wanna

kateezdad2
    Free Member

I was very happy with my OO Fatty with carbon fork and 7-8 psi up front until I took delivery of my new Fatty Trail with Blutos as fitted as standard. The difference is quite dramatic in my opinion and makes you realise just how much of a battering you are taking even with squishy tyres. I appreciate the weight difference will be off-putting to some but as I’m no racing snake I would rather have the comfort.

Northwind

Oh alright then

Only 3 proper rides in but loving it so far. I’m bluto-curious but enjoying it rigid for now, that’s the job I got it for. Impressively capable even without bounce though.

trout
    Free Member

No way would you take away my Bluto`s they move critical bounce to a higher speed and save my old wrists

Yes I do need Bluto`s

bearnecessities

You appear to have a midget lodged in your cassette.

dovebiker

Another gratuitous photo of mine:

It takes me all the way back to the 80s and my first MTB experiences – it might not be the fastest but it’s the most fun getting there. That said, couple of top-10 race finishes this summer against MTBs, so not slow when you wind it up. Huge amounts of grip mean I can climbs that have defeated me and allow me to ride ridiculous lines that I wouldn’t attempt normally. I’m off to Rovaniemi this winter and keeping dreaming up ridiculous routes and adventures..most of the nay-sayers have never ridden one.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I can appreciate that blutos will make flat landings more controlled from my short full rigid fat riding…….but my fatty is for winter mud plugging/snow/sand/Boulder fields messing…keeping it cheap as possible and just smiling whilst riding over ridiculous stuff that on the gardtail would loosen my fillings….or have me laying on the floor 😆

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If you can’t handle full fat™, you could always go semi-skimmed.

Lots of fun too, just a bit different..

dovebiker

Ha! got one of those too:

firestarter
    Free Member

Could be right brigante 🙂 it does look good tho. How do the two compare nick

tomhoward

I lasted a month between demoing one, thinking ‘yeah it’s fun, but I’d never buy one’ to buying one.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’d always thought they were silly but posties Road to Damascus type transformation has me intrigued lol

rickmeister

Pre breakfast trip, in the distance, Switzerland

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qTena1]P1200826[/url] by Andrea, on Flickr

Out on the beaches of East Lothian
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/qUmq6N]P1200736[/url] by Andrea, on Flickr

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hugely different bikes Mick, think of the Fat bike, as the bastard love child of a BMX & a space hopper.. It’s just a complete grin enduring ride, you can’t help but smile while out on it.
    The Krampus? That too is a hooligan of a bike, but, well, a bit more refined?
    To be fair I’ve only really used it in Bikepacking mode, so not just blagged out in the woos etc on it in the same way..
    It’s fast, and rooks bloody well.
    To be fair, they both do..
    Oh, and both are Medium, so you’re welcome to try either Mick.

slowboydickie

Can’t believe this tread hasn’t been naysayered yet. My travers fat bike frame arrives tomoz.

dovebiker

With both 29+/3″ tyres and fatbike tyres you can get crazy lean-angles without worrying about loss of grip because of the rounded tyre-section. 29+ does roll quicker so more suited to mixed conditions, but if it’s really soft, sandy, rooty and rocky I’d prefer the extra grip of the fatty. Whilst the 29+ is still technically a ‘trail’ bike with the fatbike you can genuinely ride where there isn’t a trail.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just getting the eye bleach ready for when John Climber post pics up of his abominations..

Fugly doesn’t even come close. 😐

molgrips
    Free Member

I won’t get one til I can afford full sus one.

peekay

Dovebiker. The one with the orange wheels looks familiar. Were you at the tower on Leith on Saturday?

boltonjon

Went fat 18 months ago and never looked back….until i went fat singlespeed – the most fun ever!!

A proper BMX for grown ups with adult sized bodies

Absolute hoot and is used on 90% of my rides nowadays

Bring on the snow 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AGwxb6]fatty[/url] by boltonjon, on Flickr

tillydog
    Free Member

I have succumbed…

(I didn’t fall off…)

Gave it a damn good rinse when I got home.

tomhoward

I find with ground controls, there’s a scary/hilarious (delete depending on speed and if you are expecting it) lean angle where you are between lines of tread, giving no grip whatsoever. Can be ace (off road, pretending you are a rally driver, at the very limit of control) or terrifying (on road, turning right across on coming traffic).

ononeorange

When I was still riding, I was noticeably faster on mine, so they’re not necessarily slow. Point was confirmed by my mate who now has it – he has broken all sorts of strava records without really trying.

rickmeister

Lee Fancourt has a Guiness World Record of the greatest distance travelled offroad in both 24 and 48 hrs, on a fatbike.

firestarter
    Free Member

Cheers nick looks like a may have to pay you a visit in a few months 😉

DrP

Go on then…what’s the ‘full fat bike du jour’ nowadays..?

It used to teh the O-O fatty, given it’s pricepoint.
    What should a lowly skinny bike rider be looking at?

DrP

leffeboy

What should a lowly skinny bike rider be looking at?

That’s my question too. Would love the Shand but may have to set sights a little lower 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 147 total)

The topic ‘Fatbikes’ is closed to new replies.