Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fatbikers – GFBD Attn Inverness and Dingwall area riders
  • epicyclo

Global Fat Bike Day this year is on 5th December

We’re not going for an organised ride as such, instead we’re having a drum up in the Contin forest.

That means you can come from any direction you want and we meet up at noon at the top of the forestry road climb on the Puffer course, ie at the start of the technical stuff.

This means there’s no need to co-ordinate a group ride unless you want to do that yourself. Start when you like, take what route you like, just be there at 12.

For those who haven’t been on a drum up, it’s basically take your primus or cooking implement, make some tea and consume cake and sandwiches (that you bring) and talk shit about fatbikes. Then we roast the bloke who turned up on a skinny suspension bike.

Anyone welcome, even the bloke on the skinny suspension bike (we’ll be hungry, after all 🙂 )

If you need directions just ask.

epicyclo

It’s at Grid Ref NH 46513 59128

swavis

Ooh, it’s the works xmas meal/drinkathon on the 4th so I may not be able to drive. If I can find a chauffeur I’ll maybe make it.

epicyclo

Any volunteers to give swavis a lift?

Presumably he’ll take his own bucket… 🙂

epicyclo

New Plan:

Weather looks like it will be a bit, er horizontal, with liquid sunshine being blown rapidly sideways. So like the true outdoor heroes we are, we have picked a softer option.

Now we are meeting at the Railway cafe in Strathpeffer at noon Saturday. From there we will decide where to go for an easy amble, or something more interesting.

epicyclo

Weather was as expected, shit. So easy amble it was. 🙂

Had to delete most of the pics because of splotches of rain on the lens, so this one was about as good as I could manage.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Lovely backdrop.

Sandwich

Are the bikes anchoring the rider or vice versa?

epicyclo

Sandwich – Member
    Are the bikes anchoring the rider or vice versa?

That one is lighter than my Ti 29er 🙂

(It’s very carboniferous)

FOG

Sorry for a little hijack but where are some good rides in the Contin/Strathpeffer area? I am there early next year with some mates. We usually ride Golspie, Balblair ec but called in at Square Wheels and did a ride out of a guide book which was mostly fire road . Any more interesting routes in that area [excluding the Strathpuffer} ?

nairnster
    Free Member

Great picture. Is that on the Strathpuffer route?

epicyclo

FOG – Member
    Sorry for a little hijack but where are some good rides in the Contin/Strathpeffer area?…

Because there’s not much in the way of specially built trails, you have to look at the forestry roads as enablers, and simply venture down any interesting it of track you see. Many of them simply stop dead once they reach where they’re going (rather than loop back). It really is a case of using the OS maps.

My riding tends to be for getting to places so my rides have a mixture of forestry, single track, no track, and often lengthy hike a bike bits, so I’m probably not the best one to ask.

But for a nice bit of open scenery, the Orrin Dam route to Erchless is nice. If you like a stiff climb, then the track up Ben Wyvis is a good challenge. There’s loads more, eg cutting across from Achnasheen to Ardroy and similar stuff.

Give us a reminder about a week before you head up and I’ll try to rake up a few routes for you. There could be plenty snow on the interesting stuff.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fatbikers – GFBD Attn Inverness and Dingwall area riders’ is closed to new replies.