Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Fatbike rims
  • epicyclo

Got my fat rims today. Reckon I'm going to need a bigger fork 🙂

Rim 100mm

Rim 100mm weight

Rim clearance at dropout

Rim clearance at brake bosses

Rim clearance at midpoint

Woody
    Free Member

Wow they are big AND heavy. I take it they don't fit into your 'prototype' forks either?

epicyclo

They'll just squeeze in, but I think the tyre will rub when it's inflated, so prototype mkII fork is coming up.

Woody
    Free Member

Excellent. Is that a Karate Monkey fork or something else in the pic? Edit – just seen they are Pugsleys on MTBR. No clearance on a Pugsley – good grief 😯

As an experiment before taking the expensive plunge, I'm thinking I might try and get away with a wide disc fork up front and try to shoehorn a Gazza 3.0 into the back of a Kona Stuff. IIRC Brant managed that on an Inbred.

The initial mock-up below came to the inevitable grinding halt as I didn't have a disc fork.

coastkid
    Free Member

they must be the 1st 100mm rims over here!, beasts 😮

Aidan
    Free Member

I thought you could run 100s on a Pugsley as long as you cut the brake bosses off. I'm considering some myself.

paul78
    Free Member

You should have them drilled before building up to shave some weight..

trail_rat
    Free Member

glad i saw this – i was looking at some vicious cycles 100mm rims !

brant
    Free Member

IIRC Brant managed that on an Inbred.

And a Blue Pig too 🙂

epicyclo

I thought about drilling them, but I figure try them first.

I have another idea for a superlight fat rim which I may try once I have some miles on these.

Got to have it built up for the 'Puffer 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

Not sure how good a fat bike will be in mud.. in fact I think it'll be hideous.. they 'float' and don't really grip.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That IS fat – not sure the extra floatation is needed unless you're just using it in the snow/sand -looks great though!!

Sam

Jeez – that rim is heavier than my latest *pair* of wheels… TBH I can't really see it providing sufficient advantage unless you really are riding in snow or soft sand on a regular basis. Another 10lbs of rotating weight? no thanks.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I've been pugsley curious for a while…. but couldn't justify teh expenditure. However after last winter's experiments with a big front tyre on my io, I'm thinking about having a play at fat biking it for the inevitable massive dump of snow this winter. Reckon I could easily get a 2.5 or maybe a 3" in the rear.

But fancy getting a proper fatbike front, so roughly how much for a set of wide forks, big rim, and fat tyre?

epicyclo

futon river crossing – Member
    That IS fat – not sure the extra floatation is needed unless you're just using it in the snow/sand -looks great though!!

There's lot of tracks up here that go through peat bogs and mushy going, and I'm hoping the lighter footprint will allow me to get through more of it. I dislike leaving deep tyre ruts because that damages the trails so I usually walk those sections.

It probably is too wide a rim for the current generation of tyres though – if you don't try the extremes you don't find the best compromise 🙂

As far as the weight is concerned, it is an issue, but I'll worry about that once I have worked out which rim width I want, and then I'll either bodge up my own rim or start drilling the existing ones.

supersessions9-2 – Member
    …after last winter's experiments with a big front tyre on my io, I'm thinking about having a play at fat biking it for the inevitable massive dump of snow this winter…
    But fancy getting a proper fatbike front, so roughly how much for a set of wide forks, big rim, and fat tyre?

You'd probably wreck the nice handling of the io. The fat tyre is more like a 29er size and would jack up your front end far too much unless you found/made a fork with that would allow it to ride at the correct height.

Everything fatbike is expensive right now. You can get a Pugsley fork for around £90 which is ok, but the tyres are around the £85 mark, tubes £10, Large Marge rim from £110 to £140, plus a wheel build

trail_rat
    Free Member

paul – puffer wasnt so much mud this year – more snow ice and rock – inbetween sheets of ice !

I was thinking more it would be a low maintainance fun bike for downhilling as well as snow riding and soft grass riding

GW
    Free Member

WTF?

Why on earth are they so heavy? it's not like they're ever going to take a battering like a DH or dirtjump rim with mahoosive tyres and snow/sand as their usual terrain. seems like overbuilt cheap crap like a lot of DH/DJ parts were 15years ago

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Why on earth are they so heavy?

they are 4 times wider than a normal rim, so I don't think it is unreasonable to expect them to be around 4 times heavier given there is 4 times as much material 🙄

GW
    Free Member

Aye, and 4 rims woould have 8 braking surfaces, those rims don't even have eyelets. cheap heavy shit! pick 2?

epicyclo

GW – Member
    Aye, and 4 rims woould have 8 braking surfaces, those rims don't even have eyelets. cheap heavy shit! pick 2?

Good to see an expert chime in.

We'd all be delighted if you pointed us in the direction of lighter and higher quality fatbike 100mm rims 🙂

brant
    Free Member

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

You can shave about 390g from them – if you're determined – http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=586418 – a lot of work though!!! – I'm not convinced it's that much better than a 50/70mm speedway rim, for non snow conditions….. looks cool though 🙂 Also the speedway rims are not as expensive and MUCH lighter.

MrTall
    Free Member

Is the new Salsa Snow Bike available yet?

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/mukluk/

I seem to recall it was not too expensive compared to a full pugsley etc?

Looks like fun.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

It's not being imported – do keep up 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

Yep, just seen that when i did a search and it led me back to STW. In my defence i have just got back from a weeks holiday so missed a lot of threads. 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

lightest 100mm rims i have read about were the Speedway Una which did come in 50,70 and 100mm, all drilled, and high quality. una rims only available in 50 and 70mm now.
    my pugs rims are the heavy 36h marges but im running conti 2.5 tubes ,scrader valve for a spot of stans juice for hawthorn hedges around here,
    once you ride one of these beasts on soft terrian you will find it just dosnt feel its weight…dunno how but it just dosnt!,
    oh heres a 31 lbs fatbike with 100mm rims for the weight weenies but being a moots proberly one off rims 😮

epicyclo

coastkid – Member
    …heres a 31 lbs fatbike with 100mm rims for the weight weenies but being a moots proberly one off rims

The rim profile looks the same as those I got. I have also seen them with Weinmann stickers on them.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Would it be possible to run a larry/endomorph on say a sun double wide rim? What do you think would be the narrowest rim one would fit on?

epicyclo

My front is on a 40mm at the moment and seems ok.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Fatbike rims’ is closed to new replies.