Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fatbike reflections – 6 months in report
  • big_scot_nanny

After the sad end of this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/aargh-obsessed-with-getting-a-fat-bike-tell-me-i-am-mad

I did end up getting a fat bike (sold the krampus as expected), FWIW I have a Mukluk 2 (gold). 😀

6 months in, thought I would share some experiences. Some no surprises, but will repeat anyway! Bear in mind, I am fat, prefer techy-ish fun riding

1) Its great fun – really, it is like riding a giant BMX 😀

2) It is very slow on the tarmac, or on fire road climbs 😥

3) No suspension, but gert big tires, has had the outcome I hoped – don’t have to be all “enduro” speed to have fun (have managed an increasing number of decent injuries by crashing when going too quickly), but still can ride everything I did before and… makes the trail come alive! 😉

4) Impossible to crash? Kind of, but if its super sloppy or icy, you are going to fall off 😳

5) Great in the mud/roots/wetrocks – grip is ludicrously better than a normal bike – just keep pedaling and it is hilarious as you pull away from everyone else 😈

6) Great in the dry – you can lean over so far and the bike just rips around corners 8)

7) It is very maneuverable, a weird feeling, you kind of get the rollover benefit of a 29er, but somehow it’s still easier to turn than wagon wheels (esp 29plus) 😀

8 ) On long descents with multiple decent hits/steps – it can get out of control real fast if you are going quickly 😯

9) People really do stare at your bike 😳

10) Nates have great grip, but a 4.8 Bud front tyre is awesome, cushy and rolls a heck of lot better. 3.8 Knards are self-steering, gripless pieces of shite. 👿

sorry – 11!

11) looking forward to this winter and hoping we get a lot more snow! 😀

That is all for now, wanted to wait a wee while before posting to make sure it was not a flash in the pan feeling of “ooh, new bike”, but it is a rather interesting experience.

Everyone should have a fat bike – if you are thinking about it, do it! 🙂

big_scot_nanny

ooh, and if anyone wants a pair of 120tpi 26×3.8 knards, make me an offer. Used 4 times, still got the hairy bits. 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

Everyone should have a fat bike – if you are thinking about it, do it!

+1

aa
    Free Member

See, this is really not helpful. I want one, don’t need one. Haven’t got room for one but really want one.

Glad you like yours,how do you find the extra weight?

They kind of sound perfect for the type of plodding/mincing I do.

Resist, resist, resist.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Email sent about the tyres #1stDibs

hot_fiat

Everyone should have a fat bike – if you are thinking about it, do it!

+1[/quote]
    +2

My brother-in-law will happily concur, so consider it +3

big_scot_nanny

aa – hard to say if I notice the overall weight, anyone who gets on one is surprised how ‘light’ it feels. But as mentioned you do definitely notice the heavier wheels on smooth surfaces, but once you are on anything a bit more mountain-bikey that goes away.

Just crack on, get one, don’t look back.

🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Agree , im on my second . My first didnt feel qite right. Concept was ride execution poor but that was down to poor component choice.

Sandman gobi , short rigid forks and 100mm rims meant angles and tire profile more for touring.

New 9 zero 7 with mavericks and 48 mm rims on nates – totally different beast and is what i wanted from the fatty first time round.

Only notice the weight on flats – climbing ir seems to be able to keep up but on flat it takes a fair effort to keep it rolling compared to my ss 29er

40mpg

+4 or so, and agree with all above.

I have a garage full of bikes not getting a look in. Only the fatty gets the ride. Its been a long time since I’ve had so much fun on a bike. It just feels ‘right’.

Now considering some blutos for big hill stuff!

letmetalktomark

Agree with the above, especially the out of control down hill bit 😆

Oh an after this weekend I wholeheartedly agree with 2 😈

I’m not 6 months in on mine but two from me:

1) I’ve needed more PSI in the tyres than many fat bikers talk of needing.
    2) larger surface area tyres = more space for thorns 🙁

JohnClimber
    Free Member

“2) larger surface area tyres = more space for thorns”

But I’ve found that the lower pressures = less chance of thorns being pushed all the way in

And don’t forget to sign up here as well
    http://s436462119.websitehome.co.uk/index.php

big_scot_nanny

I am going to say nothing about thorns or punctures – tempting fate and all that. 😀

I have no clue what pressure the tires are at, as all three pumps give wildly different readings. Tend to ride it and keep taking air out until the big hits really whang off the rims, then put a tiny bit more in. Tis low though, love the way the tyres deform and grip.

one experience that was rather “interesting” was the night I could not get the nate seated properly, and get pumping it up to try to pop it into the rim properly.

First bang was the tire coming off the rim, second thunderclap was the innertube exploding out the new gap.

This was all in a very enclosed concrete cellar. My ears are ringing just at the thought of it!

😳

Lester
    Free Member

Hi Kev
    i love my beargrease now with Blutos 🙂
    as Kev says, but its now slightly less of a handful at speed with the blutos on, different type of bike and different type of fun.

coastkid
    Free Member

6 years riding 4″ fatbikes and now also 5″ on 100mm rims and 29+ (thats 3″ on 29x50mm for those out of the know 😉 ) over the last 2 years,

Thing is no point pushing them on websites that have non believers. Just go ride and enjoy them 😉 🙂

epicyclo

This might convert a few

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

Those of you suffering punctures: Fat Ghetto Tubless is perfectly doable.

Summary: 20″ Maxxis motorbike innertubes (lack of local alternatives), 45North Dillingers and Stan’s sealant or the somewhat cheaper Slime(TM) green goop.

Surface area available for thorns:

And if you ride through cocktail bars:

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fatbike reflections – 6 months in report’ is closed to new replies.