Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fatbike hire in French ski resorts?
  • DoctorRad
    Free Member

Is anyone hiring out Fatbikes for use on DH or XC ski runs in any of the French resorts, anyone know? Anywhere else in the Alps?

qwerty
    Free Member

nealglover
    Free Member

I doubt they would want bikes on the expensively prepped XC tracks.

And combining bikes and skiers on the pistes doesn’t sound like a good idea either to be honest.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No way wuld they allow it.

Runs would be gash on a bike anyway.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Absolutely zero chance of this happening. In any case, skiing is way, way, way steeper than mountain biking. Going down a red ski run on an MTB is pant-wettingly steep.

jam-bo

Do all resorts allow those ski-bikes? Saw quite a few in Flaine last year, looked fun.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

What about XC courses? It’s happening in the US:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/fat-bikes-on-ski-trails-35924/

Sancho
    Free Member

What a waste of snow.
    god the fun to be had on a snow board or ski’s and you want to pedal a fat bike along a track?

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Would make a nice change from skiing/boarding all the time, especially if you’re there for a fortnight…

james
    Free Member

“skiing is way, way, way steeper than mountain biking. Going down a red ski run on an MTB is pant-wettingly steep”
    Steep yes, but not as you describe imo. Have used ski runs (in summer) to link up trails and not as bad as you make out

In winter with a bit of icing going on I can see would be a completely different. Perhaps just an exersize in brake control, or lack of

re: DH skiing, I cant see the lifts being setup for bike use in winter. chairlifts/bubbles having had the bike racks removed, lift attendants (at busy periods) perhaps having enough to do monitoring ski-iers/snowboarders getting on/off lifts. The big ‘twin-box’ lifts (name escaping me) a bvike would take too much space up. Ski-resort/lift operator wanting to keep them full of skiers/snowboarders

Also demand?
    How many people even know of ‘fatbikes’?
    How many people would actually be interested in mincing your way down a ski-run on one

james
    Free Member

weird double post

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m no more likely to go to the Alps in Winter and go Fat Biking instead of Skiing

Than I would be to go to the Alps in summer to go Grass Skiing instead of Biking 🙂

oldgwegg
    Free Member

What about XC courses? It’s happening in the US:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/fat-bikes-on-ski-trails-35924/

Hope they don’t start that nonsense here – bloody mountainbikes on my XC ski routes !! I’ll stick my pole in their spokes I will. Anyway, thats just like going for a ride on snowy footpaths isn’t it – something you can do anywhere when there is snow.

Seriously though, I do both (XC MTB and backcountry skiing). Off piste would be OK but I don’t see it being a good mix on the same pistes.

stevomcd
    Free Member

james – which runs have you used though?

Sure, you can cut across / along sections of ski piste on a bike, but trying to ride full ski runs top-to-bottom on a bike is pretty daft. Mucho steepness + great, big drainage ditches = brown short liners.

DoctorRad
    Free Member

Fair enough, maybe the DH runs would be a bit silly 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Mucho steepness + great, big drainage ditches = brown short liners.

This would make it impossible in a lot of places.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fatbike hire in French ski resorts?’ is closed to new replies.