Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fatbar lite carbon vs alloy why?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

So having used a borrowed fatbar lite for a week I have decided they are for me.

Ordering my own set on Monday but deciding between alloy and carbon. Weight does not really bother me so just wondering if anyone has ridden both and any noticeable difference?

I am only a light trail user, not big jumps or drops. Price difference between bars is £40.

honourablegeorge

Carbon does absorb a bit more of the small vibration, so you may find it easier on the hands, esp over a long day with a lot of descending. May or may not be worth forty quid to you.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Guess the vibration is noticeable? Hard to judge for me as never had carbon! My rides are usually short 5-6 miles but the odd 15-20 at weekends.

nairnster
    Free Member

If it’s any help I think Renthal make their carbon bars to feel like their alu ones.

So is the lower weight worth the extra cost

Del
    honourablegeorge

nairnster – Member
    If it’s any help I think Renthal make their carbon bars to feel like their alu ones

Hmm… not the case for the full size bar but might be for the Lite

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-renthal-fatbar-carbon-2014.html

One interesting detail with this new, longer carbon bar is that they didn’t exactly match the feel of the counterpart aluminum bar, as they did with the Carbon Fatbar Light, they ended up reducing the stiffness in this bar, as they felt the switch in material required a slight change in the ride feel. “We wanted to get it as close as possible to the aluminum one, again,” explains Ian. “But we knew we needed to make it a little bit softer, just because of the natural frequency of carbon. If we’d made it as stiff as the aluminum bar, it would have felt too harsh. So it is ever so slightly softer. You don’t feel it in terms of steering control, but it takes that edge off, that you don’t get with aluminum.”

nairnster
    Free Member

From the OP i thought it was the Lite we were talking about.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yeah it’s the lite version I’m looking at

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fatbar lite carbon vs alloy why?’ is closed to new replies.