Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fat Tyre High Volume portable pumps?
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

So….the other day my plus bike lost pressure and after fixing the leaky valve my heart rate was higher than when I was riding just trying to the the thing back near to pressure….. stupid little lifeline things work provided and I should have been carrying my Co2…(I know id10t..)

So been looking at my options for a High Volume pumps, the two standing out to me are:

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV
    http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-microfldrhvg.php

and the Crank Brothers Klic HV
    https://www.crankbrothers.com/product/view/701

The Lezyne is standing out a bit more atm as it’s a tad cheaper…. but longer.

Any others to look at so save me sat at the side of the track hunched over looking like a deviant?

Should also look at a track pump with a decent low pressure reading, which covers 10-20psi for chubby tyres, a bit of a guess with the Phaart Pump from PX.

Thanks in advance.

johnnystorm

http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-microfldrivexl.php would be even better I guess. I’ve got the Lezyne for my moonie, it’s still about 300 strokes to get it to operating pressure!

I’d avoid the CB one purely because of their inability to make anything with moving parts last five minutes.

Track pump wise Topeak do an HV Joe Blow that tops out at 30psi and has a nice gauge that’s useful at single figure pressures.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Thanks Johnnystorm, did see the XL see a good bet just thinking I could do with up to 80psi for when I want to take the narrow tyre bike, but suppose I would still have smaller pumps that would do the job.

johnnystorm

I just remembered that Wiggle are doing a lifeline mountain-morph-a-like mini track pump for a tenner. I’ve got one to go in my big dummys bags as size is almost no object then!

andyl
    Free Member

Got the Lezyne for Xmas – best pump I have ever had. Don’t bother with the pressure gauge version, I don’t know why manufacturers don’t fit suitable gauges to mtb intended pumps, most start at 20psi and go up to 100psi. I need one that starts at 5 psi and goes up to 40 max so 20-25psi is right in the middle.

I opted for the approach of get to know how squishy your tyres should feel at home when using a digital gauge for any repairs on the trail.

edit:

Track pump wise Topeak do an HV Joe Blow that tops out at 30psi and has a nice gauge that’s useful at single figure pressures

’bout bloody time. I do like Topeak. Topeak and Lezyne are my go-to brands for all things pumpy.

km79
    Free Member

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV

I’ve used one of these for years with normal 29er tyres, use it on my 29+ Krampus on the rare occasion I need to and it works well enough that I’ve never considered upgrading it.

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL

Looks good but 162g heavier, maybe overkill for plus size.

steve_b77
    Free Member

The mountain morph is bang on for fatties, about 5mins of gratuitous pumping and you’re at 15psi in a 4″ fat tyre, weighs naff all too

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve used one of these for years with normal 29er tyres, use it on my 29+ Krampus on the rare occasion I need to and it works well enough that I’ve never considered upgrading it.

Thanks for that, I used to run 29 but tbh can’t remember having a puncture out and about normally when I dragged it out of the shed… the little lifeline pump I had was a tad useless too about 20mins to get to 8psi.
    Good thing is the HV Lazyne has a nice discount on Wiggle, the XL doesn’t…

epicyclo

Or you could get one of the old fashioned mtb pumps – like a fatter version of the traditional roadster pump.
    Stupid light, cheap as chips.

Their only problem ever was their reluctance to get the pressures high – not something you want with a fat bike anyway.

scotroutes

+1 for Mountain Morph

zippykona

The on one version pumped up my tyre surprisingly quickly.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Went with my 1st pick and ordered the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HV, thanks for the help and advice.

A few years old now but seems like this comparison is still relevant.

Trail Pump Shootout

The Topeak looked good but I preferred the valve on the Lezyne.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I hate the fiddly screw on lezyne valve.

I also hate the handle which is about half as small as it needs to be, 30strokes in and its cutting into your palm.

Looks cool, but functionally useless, like almost everything lezyne make.

dovebiker

Mountain Morph has let me down a couple of times – it needs regular cleaning and relaxing whereas the Lezyne pumps I have remain untouched and still working.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

True, I’ve never had anything from lezyne fall apart. The backpack which had all the heavy stuff in a pocket right on the back so it was never stable was crap though. As was the multitool as wide as it was long, despite having fewer bits than my new topeak one half the width. And the pump handle is unforgivably crap design (it’s small and sharp edges where the hose sits).

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Had a Lezyne Allpack backpack which I must have bought in 2010 and only just gave up the ghost last month, survived a few yards down the road with me on top of it……
    Only thing to let it down was the cheap bladder and the top could dig into your neck.

Will see how I get on with the pump, I prefer the screw on pumps these days, I’m sure I will manage.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Well it came today, initial inspection seems good, let down my tyre to try it out and was a lot less painless than my Lifeline job.
    All in all 2 thumbs up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fat Tyre High Volume portable pumps?’ is closed to new replies.