• This topic has 126 replies, 73 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)
  • Fat person = Lazy person?
  • philjunior
    Free Member

I know when I saw a nurse when changing GPs once I was carrying a couple of extra kgs from basically not having any motivation/drinking too much for the previous 5 years…

At the time I was actually getting back into things – riding a short distance to work every day, out on the bike doing 60-100 miles on road or full day off road each weekend, doing a run or two mid-week, and told the nurse this.

She still said I should maybe think about doing a bit of exercise – as I said I was a bit tubby at the time, but I was doing it just not getting instantaneous results ffs! Don’t know if she just hadn’t listened or hadn’t believed me but pretty annoying.

If I’m totally honest though, when fat people blame it on their glands/genes etc I tend to label them as deluded and lazy, but I don’t really understand the doctor’s reaction – I think it supports the fatness trap most people find themselves in when they are concerned about not being able to be active so give up too soon to see the benefits and docs should really be trying to avoid it!

In his defence if he’s a heart surgeon he probably sees an awful lot of people who really are not active at all.

toby1

I had a cholesterol check a while ago and a similar situation where the nurse was surprised I was about to ride to work and when I explained an average week she replied with “You carry a lot of weight for someone that does that much”.

I’m a bit over 100kg and about 5’9″ too, I eat too much I know that, but I also got up and ran 5k before heading into work by bike today (as I do everyday) commuting about 60 miles a week, so not massive but a decent amount of pedaling.

However, the ‘skinny’ bloke I see at the gym regularly (always on the rower) when I asked he said he does 18k on the rower on a gentle day and spends an hour slamming it the next day, so I guess I am now seeing that I am not as ‘active’ as I thought I was!

TooTall
    Free Member

i told him in quite a angry manner, that of course i was serious, and why would i not be.
    he told me, he has asked if i was being serious because i did not look like a cyclist.
    i then asked him if he thought all people carrying a bit of weight or who were big were all lazy people who did no excercise.
    he then started to apologise and backtrack when he saw i was angry and very serious.

You know quite well that you do not fit the image of a hardcore cyclist. Getting all arsey and aggressive with someone who is trying to ensure your wellbeing is your problem, not his. Get over yourself.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

To be fair to the doctor in question he sits there all day long while people lie to him.

Smoke? No. Then why the yellow fingers and the mouth like a cats bum?

Drink? Not really, couple of units maybe. Then why do you smell like a pub carpet.

Exercise? Yes lots. You sure? You’re a big fella.

and to answer the original question not all fat people are lazy people but there are probably more lazy fat people than not lazy fat people.

vinnyeh

Yes, I agree it is work .. but sat behind a desk isn`t exactly burning the calories is it. Even a very very lazy person could manage to do that.

Not necessarily. I’m too lazy to work behind a desk nowadays. Or work at all, as a matter of fact.
    I do, however manage to ride most days. And go for a walk or a run. And play with my kids. I’m mentally very very lazy. 🙂

zilog6128

You know quite well that you do not fit the image of a hardcore cyclist. Getting all arsey and aggressive with someone who is trying to ensure your wellbeing is your problem, not his. Get over yourself.

This

To be fair to the doctor in question he sits there all day long while people lie to him.

Smoke? No. Then why the yellow fingers and the mouth like a cats bum?

Drink? Not really, couple of units maybe. Then why do you smell like a pub carpet.

Exercise? Yes lots. You sure? You’re a big fella.

And this.

So you happen to be the 1-in-whatever who doesn’t fit the mould. You said yourself he apologised as soon as he realised you were serious. Absolutely no need to get angry about it IMO.

And as for the question, not lazy, but greedy – at least in the sense that they are eating/drinking (or have eaten, in the past) more than their body/lifestyle needs.

Obviously there are a tiny percentage who have genuine medical/mental health issues but I don’t see how this is relevant to the vast majority of the obese population.

chip
    Free Member

Peter shiltons wife said he has always been a lazy bugger and if armchair sitting was an Olympic event he would bring home the gold every four years.

To me lazy means lack of motivation.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Lazy = lazy

Fat = more calories consumed than burnt.

Its simples, what don’t people understand?

MoreCashThanDash

My problem is that I’ve never met a calorie I didn’t like.

scotroutes

Conflating a low level of physical exercise with laziness is just Ton showing his prejudices……

ton

prejudices…….looking like I do…….. 😆 😆 😆

scotroutes

It’s OK Tony. Some of my best friends are fat.

here’s another funny image:

I don’t get it.
    I shouldn’t laugh at fat lazy people because other people have got mental health problems that lead to excessive weight loss. Is that it?
    What about laughing at someone who gets lost driving to an orienteering event when other people have got dementia?
    Or laughing at someone who falls off their bike in to the nettles when other people have got multiple sclerosis?

If you look at pictures or films from 50+ years ago, there are very few fat people.
    As an example, I was watching this recently…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9Hr16V2Ig[/video]

…which features several people sat at drawing boards or doing other relatively inactive jobs, yet they are all thin.

So what’s happened in the last 50 years?
    Sure, there are less people doing proper manual jobs involving carrying or shoveling, but that doesn’t explain it. There have always been office and shop workers.

ton

it it easy to laugh at folk, without knowing why they are like they are.
    easiest one of all is to laugh at fat people. life is such.

TooTall
    Free Member

But getting angry at someone who is trying to take care of your health is OK?

ton

no, of course not.
    but telling them in a strong forcefull direct manner is. 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

easiest one of all is to laugh at fat people. life is such.

especially when there are so many of them rolling around.
    it never used to be like that, there was only one fat kid at school, now 1in3 are overweight/obese

it it easy to laugh at folk, without knowing why they are like they are.

And it’s even easier for the vast majority of fat people to make excuses and hide their laziness behind the tiny proportion of fat people who have got some genuine medical problem.

Eat less, do more. It really is that simple.

ton

it never used to be like that

and the reason is?

cos people are lazier? (specially fat people)
    cos we don’t do as much manual labour?
    cos junk food is cheaper that healthy food?

grum
    Free Member

Eat less, do more. It really is that simple.

Alcoholics – just drink less
    Heroin addicts – just stop taking smack
    Depressed people – just cheer up
    Anorexics – just eat more

It really is that simple. 🙄

And it’s even easier for the vast majority of fat people to make excuses and hide their laziness behind the tiny proportion of fat people who have got some genuine medical problem.

Even if there’s only one fat person who has a ‘genuine medical problem’ but is constantly being harshly judged as being lazy by people like you, does that not make you feel like a bit of a ****?

cinnamon_girl

Just proves that making assumptions is wrong.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Alcoholics – just drink less
    Heroin addicts – just stop taking smack

Is laziness classed as an addiction these days?

stoffel
    Free Member

Ton; can I ask you what you do in your normal job, and how much/what do you actually eat in a day?

ton

stoffel, you can. I work on a sales counter of a trade warehouse.
    and on a normal day I eat,
    1 slice brown toast with butter with a coffee
    3 scramled eggs or a tin of beans
    toms, hummus, and a chicken at lunch
    meat and veg or salad for tea, or a huge portion of chickpea chorizo stew.

I would like to add, I did not start this post because I am fat, I am not now, I lost 5 stone on a certain diet.
    I am pretty big tho, in stature.
    I started the post because of the dr asking me if I was serious saying that I cycled daily. it was quite obvious he though I did not cos I am a big bloke.

ahwiles
    Free Member

imnotverygood – Member

As a point of order. The medic concerned didn’t accuse ton of being lazy, he was just sceptical of his stated physical activity level.

i ride at least 60miles a week*, my Doctor is sceptical of my stated physical activity, and i’m a skinny bugger.

(also didn’t believe me i said i drink less than 10 units / week – “i’ll put down 20”)

*not much in the grand scheme of things, but (sadly) enough to astonish most people.

stoffel
    Free Member

So Ton; you eat a fair bit (although that doesn’t seem excessive r paricularly unhealthy), but have a rather sedentary job. And are you still currently losing weight? Has your diet changed significantly from when you were heavier? Do you drink? How much and what?

and a chicken at lunch

Hang on, a whole chicken? 😯

ton

my diet has changed, I used to live on huge carb based meals. I try to not eat many bad carbs now.
    I put a few lbs on now, and I can lose them in a week or so quite easily by cutting the carbs to nil.
    I do like a drink, this is about 8 pints on a Saturday.

grum
    Free Member

Is laziness classed as an addiction these days?

I would suggest most overweight peoples’ relationship to food is fairly similar to an addiction.

Still, I’m sure shouting ‘eat less, move more, fatty’ louder and louder is the best approach.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m not lazy but I am quite large. I ride a lot and run a lot as well as being very active with other hobbies.

Unfortunately my job dictates that I sit behind a desk all day and sometimes all night.

If I don’t maintain a very strict diet balance then I get fat.

stoffel
    Free Member

this is about 8 pints on a Saturday.

Christ. That’s a lot of beer. Those calories are going to sit around not getting burned up, then turning to fat.

Little and often,with food. That way, your body uses the energy more efficiently, and stores less fat. Many people stare themselves for ages then eat huge meals, which is bad, because the body naturaly stores more fat in anticipation for the periods you’re not eating. And if you used to eat badly, then your body wil still want to store more fat, as it’s become conditioned to do so. The older you get, the slower it gets in breaking down fat, so it gets harder to do so. I eat less than I used to, but now put on fat much more easily, as my metabolism has slowed.

you’re churning out a good milage, but to burn more fat, you’ll need to rie faster. You mentioned somewhere having had heart issues, so this may be very difficult for you. Try to eat sensibly, keep up with the biking, and good luck.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 110kg so not thin. I work pretty bloody hard all day but in a sedentary role and often do long hours. I was able to commute by bike for a while and got down to about 100kg as I was riding two hours a day 5 days a week – I felt great then, better in every way. If I could do so again I would in a heartbeat. However I have two kids, a wife, home life and things to do when I get in from work and find it hard to do two hours of exercise a day so I’m down to about 6-8 hours a week at best.

My laziness is confined to not being disciplined about my calorie intake and as there is a history of obesity related death in my family it’s a worry!

slowjo
    Free Member

So, how old are you stoffel?

Mid 50s here and no problem with storing/losing fat. I have increased my mileage to circa 200p/w and my problem is eating enough to keep weight on.

ton

I was just gonna add, I am riding between 500 and 800 miles a month now, which as you all know you need fueling to do…so I reckon my diet is working pretty well for me. (cheers idave and solo). 8)

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 110kg so not thin. I work pretty bloody hard all day but in a sedentary role and often do long hours. I was able to commute by bike for a while and got down to about 100kg as I was riding two hours a day 5 days a week – I felt great then, better in every way. If I could do so again I would in a heartbeat. However I have two kids, a wife, home life and things to do when I get in from work and find it hard to do two hours of exercise a day so I’m down to about 6-8 hours a week at best.

My laziness is confined to not being disciplined about my calorie intake and as there is a history of obesity related death in my family it’s a worry!

stoffel
    Free Member

My goodness ! Rarely have I read such crap, on one of these threads.

Really? Then Read tese:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56254

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-53111/Why-eating-little-best.html

http://www.fitnessbeans.com/2011/the-benefits-of-eating-little-often/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/best/grazingbingeing.shtml

http://www.fitwatch.com/weight-loss/how-eating-more-often-can-help-you-eat-less-437.html

And that’s just a few from a lazt google. Plenty of info out there which supports this though.

you’ve just given someone diagnosed with AF. Advise to “ride faster” in order to burn fat.

I also added: “You mentioned somewhere having had heart issues, so this may be very difficult for you.” Would you like to take back your insult?

In actual fact, with regard to the exercise intensity, the reverse is true. The lower the intensity of exercise, the more fat can be burned.

If you ride 10 miles at 10mph, you’ll burn a certain amount of calories. If you ride that same 10 miles faster, you’ll burn more caloies.

Please do us all a favour and save your advise for yourself !

I will. I’m 44, ‘perfect’ BMI, blood pressure, heart rate etc. excellent for my age. Stil do competitive sports, swim 3 times a week, ride everywhere I can. No health worries at all. It works for me, so I’ll stick with it.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I do like a drink, this is about 8 pints on a Saturday.

Sadly, this is the problem. I have the same problem. I can be thin and miserable or fat and happy. Has no effect on my fitness / BP / RHR , just on BMI.

but to burn more fat, you’ll need to ride faster

Not necessarily. Further, yes. Faster, well, that depends on your type 1 / type 2 muscle ratios, which are pretty much determined by inheritance.

tron
    Free Member

Fat shouldn’t mean lazy these days. The fact is, if you’re working a normal office 9-5 job, you’re going to really struggle to outrun a bad diet. An hour on the bike or in the gym might get you through 600 calories. An hour in wetherspoons or similar can easily provide you with 1000-1500 calories of food.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Fat person = Lazy person?’ is closed to new replies.