• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)
  • Fat people to be incentivised to loose weight
  • Jamie
    Free Member

You’re suggesting they should close a few?

Got to make room for the Subways.

ninfan
    Free Member

If its cheaper to incentivise people to lose weight than keep treating their ailments, or perform surgery, then surely its a no-brainer?

(here you are love, rather than give you this gastric band operation that costs the NHS £10k, we’ll pay you £500 for each stone you lose and £500 per year if you keep it off)

everyones a winner?

In the meantime – that Orwell was a clever bloke:

N The miner’s family spend only tenpence a week on green vegetables
    and tenpence half-penny on milk (remember that one of them is a child less
    than three years old), and nothing on fruit; but they spend one and nine on
    sugar (about eight pounds of sugar, that is) and a shilling on tea. The
    half-crown spent on meat might represent a small joint and the materials
    for a stew; probably as often as not it would represent four or five tins
    of bully beef. The basis of their diet, therefore, is white bread and
    margarine, corned beef, sugared tea, and potatoes–an appalling diet.
    Would it not be better if they spent more money on wholesome things like
    oranges and wholemeal bread or if they even, like the writer of the letter
    to the New Statesman, saved on fuel and ate their carrots raw? Yes, it
    would, but the point is that no ordinary human being is ever going to do
    such a thing. The ordinary human being would sooner starve than live on
    brown bread and raw carrots. And the peculiar evil is this, that the less
    money you have, the less inclined you feel to spend it on wholesome food. A
    millionaire may enjoy breakfasting off orange juice and Ryvita biscuits; an
    unemployed man doesn’t. Here the tendency of which I spoke at the end of
    the last chapter comes into play. When you are unemployed, which is to say
    when you are underfed, harassed, bored, and miserable, you don’t want to
    eat dull wholesome food. You want something a little bit ‘tasty’. There is
    always some cheaply pleasant thing to tempt you. Let’s have three pennorth
    of chips! Run out and buy us a twopenny ice-cream! Put the kettle on and
    we’ll all have a nice cup of tea! That is how your mind works when you are
    at the P.A.C. level. White bread-and-marg and sugared tea don’t nourish you
    to any extent, but they are nicer (at least most people think so) than
    brown bread-and-dripping and cold water. Unemployment is an endless misery
    that has got to be constantly palliated, and especially with tea, the
    English-man’s opium. A cup of tea or even an aspirin is much better as a
    temporary stimulant than a crust of brown bread.

RustySpanner

OMITN, sorry to hear that.
    Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help – we’re not far away.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    emsz
    Free Member

Junky trouble with saying stuff like “veg cost less than maccyd” is that buying the veg is only one part of it, what if your on a pre paid meter on your gas and the choice that night is gas for cooker or gas for heat? What if your oven doesn’t work, what if your kids won’t eat the food you’ve bought, what if you don’t know what to do with it? What if you don’t have time?

At maccyD its warm, the foods hot, kids will eat it. I can see how it starts looking like an option

Steve77
    Free Member

I’d happily see a substantial tax on sugar and a corresponding subsidy on vegetables. It’s going to happen sooner or later and in decades to come we’ll look back on this period and be amazed that we allowed a bottle of coke to be sold so recklessly cheaply, and to children too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think that scenario explains a tiny percentage [ if any] of the customers within a macy D’s

Like many things the solution is easy but ,you are right, the implementation is the issue.

what if your kids won’t eat the food you’ve bought

IME hugngry folk will eat.

Of course they wont if a protest leads to McD’s.

Its complicated in how you get folk to eat healthily but , in general, healthy food is not actually expensive.

GrahamS

Junky trouble with saying stuff like “veg cost less than maccyd” is that buying the veg is only one art of it, what if your on a pre paid meter on your gas and the choice that night is gas for cooker or gas for heat? What if your oven doesn’t work, what if your kids won’t eat the food you’ve bought, what if you don’t know what to do with it? What if you don’t have time?

Buy fruit and veg that don’t need cooked?
    Apples, orange, bananas, melons, lettuce, peppers, onions, peas, etc etc?

Even considering cooking cost a 1kg bag of ASDA SmartPrice potatoes is 69p. I reckon you could easily cook that and still be paying less than the equivalent volume of french fries at McDs.

But as I said above, poverty is a not the biggest factor here, the whole population is slowly wheezing towards obesity.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    I’m fat(about 5 stone +) because I enjoy food and I’m greedy too, no other reason!

I’m happy in life!Out of interest, how old are you?

I used to be a fat knacker (coincidentally about 5 stone +) and for the same reason as you. I managed OK health-wise in my 20s and early 30s but it eventually took its toll with the classic ‘bad back’ 🙄

You may be happy now, you may not later in life when the heath complications kick in!

ourmaninthenorth

OMITN, sorry to hear that.
    Let us know if there’s anything we can do to help – we’re not far away.

Not much you can do, but thank you for the offer.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Junky trouble with saying stuff like “veg cost less than maccyd” is that buying the veg is only one part of it, what if your on a pre paid meter on your gas and the choice that night is gas for cooker or gas for heat? What if your oven doesn’t work, what if your kids won’t eat the food you’ve bought, what if you don’t know what to do with it? What if you don’t have time?

Come on…you’re talking about the extreme and of the scale; the majority of overweight people have it within their power to do something about their situation.

binners

Steve77 – Member

I’d happily see a substantial tax on sugar and a corresponding subsidy on vegetables. It’s going to happen sooner or later

I wish I shared your confidence. Theres absolutely no sign that it will ever happen at all. Quite the reverse. The food industry is a vastly profitable corporate juggernaut, with a massive lobbying budget. And it wants things left exactly as they are, thank you very much.

When the government wanted to bring in nutritional labelling on food last year, it got in such champions of public health as Mars, Nestle, PepsiCo, Premier Foods, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda, and Morrisons to basically write the policy for them. As a result, nothing has changed.

Do you see that changing any time soon? I certainly don’t

jambourgie
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    I’m fat(about 5 stone +)

Unless you’re a baby, 5 stone isn’t fat. I’m 13.5 stone and I’m not fat. Are you a baby? If so you’re a very very clever little fat baby, posting on an internet forum, oh yes you are!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Jambourgie – Member
    I’m fat(about 5 stone +)
    Unless you’re a baby, 5 stone isn’t fat. I’m 13.5 stone and I’m not fat. Are you a baby? If so you’re a very very clever little fat baby, posting on an internet forum, oh yes you are!

😆 I’m guessing I don’t have to explain!

iolo
    Free Member

What happens if the government makes you fat?
    I’ve put on 5.5 stone due to shitty medication handed out by the nhs. It does help me mind.
    Do I have to pay per ounce gained?

bigblackshed

I’m so glad the monthly fat thread has reared its judgemental head. For the full house we still need “aeroplane seats”, “eat less, move more”, and “fatties smell”.

So, knock yourselves out. 🙄

DT78
    Free Member

Not entirely sure where this thread has twisted and turned to in usual fashion.

The point wasn’t to be a fatty bashing thread, it was more about surely there are better ways to spend money to improve health of everybody (not just fat people) than give it to people when they drop a stone or two.

Don’t HR constantly hold the line that financial rewards aren’t a long term incentive?

So once said person has lost sufficient weight they don’t get any more ‘rewards’ what happens? Likely they will get annoyed, depressed and eat more.

Vat free gyms/bikes and sugar tax make much more sense.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

what is the difference between a homosexual* and a gay ? Just curious.

I think the first includes the first and the third is kinds of it’s own category.

*that is of course if you buy into the dichotomous model of gender and orientation

cloudnine
    Free Member

Gawd.. Im suprised they dont charge smelly fatties more on the airplane seats.. must cost a fortune in extra fuel. Or maybe get them running on treadmills to help the plane takeoff

GrahamS

surely there are better ways to spend money to improve health of everybody (not just fat people) than give it to people when they drop a stone or two.

I’m not sure – might be quite an effective approach – maybe they should do a study.

Oh they did. And you moaned about it.

binners

Oh… how opportunely timed. Does anyone want a pork pie? Due to the usual over ordering of food for client meetings, there has now a whole tray of them got plonked on the desk next to me. They’re the really nice ones from the local bakery. And a load of really nice buttes too

Bacon and brie?

Anyone?

I’ll have to eat the lot otherwise?

Then I’ll never fit in an airline sea.

And more Africans will die.

😥

hels
    Free Member

Nothing like a nice dichotomy with your coffee in the morning CharlieMungus.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m not moaning, I’m debating the merits of the report, which somehow appears to have been deemed I’m fat bashing?

If you think that’s moaning you should probably stop reading 90% of the chat threads on here….

binners

Theres some quiche too. And chicken wings

Anyone?…

Cougar

Regarding the ‘fat-bashing’,

The problem here is, whilst it may be relatively straight forward to analyse obesity as a trend, you cannot then just automatically apply any findings to every overweight person you meet.

People are different, and may be overweight for different reasons. And yes of course, being a lazy fat knacker with a cake habit is probably very common. I have no doubts that the prevalence of increasingly sedentary lifestyles along with widespread availability of cheap convenience foods is a major contributor to the current obesity “epidemic”.

But that’s not the whole story. As a couple of random examples: I know someone who’s gained weight recently after sustaining a knee injury which prevented them from getting their regular exercise; and I’ve recently watched a friend turn alarmingly rapidly from being a triathlon-bagging racing snake into a blimp of a man due to contracting a potentially terminal illness. So next time you’re thinking of trotting out the “too many pies, mate?” trope, don’t be too shocked if you get an answer of “no, steroids and chemotherapy.”

As with many things, it’s Not That Simple and the solution isn’t a one-XL-size-fits-all Daily Mail headline.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no veg at all then Binners?
    Why can I never eat the free pile of food?
    Cries into his hummus

binners

Unfortunately, vegetarianism hasn’t reached this area of East Lancs yet JY. They may eat you if you tried to explain it as a concept

Sausage roll?

No?

I won’t tell anyone

They’re very nice

zilog6128

no veg at all then Binners?
    Why can I never eat the free pile of food?
    Cries into his hummus

Ah, ok, this solves the mystery of why you’re so uptight 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve just eaten a delicious Portuguese custard tart.

As you were.

binners

The pork pies are now all gone.

Sorry 😳

*burps*

mudshark
    Free Member

Unhealthy food/cheap. I think this is really about buying the family sized ready made foods from supermarket budget labels – fatty/salty/tasty (to some).

I have wondered why those poorer people with gardens don’t grow veg more – some do but many don’t. Would education help or would this just be another chore to make them hate life? Growing veg isn’t a middle class thing but many grow veg not due to financial reasons so what’s the motivation?

emsz
    Free Member

Charlie mungus I think you’re right 🙂

So it’s people who have the same bits and like to rub them against people with same bits

And

Happy people

Cool

Edit must learn to type…

seosamh77
    Free Member

mudshark – Member
    I have wondered why those poorer people with gardens don’t grow veg more – some do but many don’t.

I reckon that’s my fault! Used to go plundering in the late 80’s as a kid, seemed to be a correlation in the drop in people growing their own produce in the 90s! 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah, ok, this solves the mystery of why you’re so uptight

What the **** do you mean by that eh well WELLLLL…growls

seosamh77
    Free Member

Could also be the reason for the child obesity epidemic mind, no produce for the weans to plunder! 😆

I wasn’t a fat kid! 😀

binners

I have wondered why those poorer people with gardens don’t grow veg more – some do but many don’t.

Its because of the wabbits

Steve77
    Free Member

I wish I shared your confidence. Theres absolutely no sign that it will ever happen at all. Quite the reverse. The food industry is a vastly profitable corporate juggernaut, with a massive lobbying budget. And it wants things left exactly as they are, thank you very much.

When the government wanted to bring in nutritional labelling on food last year, it got in such champions of public health as Mars, Nestle, PepsiCo, Premier Foods, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda, and Morrisons to basically write the policy for them. As a result, nothing has changed.

Do you see that changing any time soon? I certainly don’t

With no prospect of the budget deficit going away and the government running out of things to cut, taxes will have to keep going up, and ‘sin taxes’ are the easiest to raise. We’ll get a tax on unhealthy food because it’ll raise so much money. At the very least we’ll see VAT extended to more foods.

binners

I wish you were right fella. But I think you’re massively underestimating the influence of corporate lobbyists. When I say that the government basically asked these people to write their own policy, this is literally what happened. Hence nothing at all changed

Same thing with the proposal for a minimum unit price for alcohol. It’ll never happen. Too many corporate vested interests paying too much money into politicians pockets, to preserve the status quo

Junkyard
    Free Member

binners is correct the industry did write the code and decided that a traffic light system of
    red = bad
    Amber = careful now
    Green = as much as you like

was both too simplistic and confusing for the general public to grasp.

vickypea
    Free Member

Part of the link between mental illness and being overweight is the medications that some people have to take – they really bang on the weight. There are obviously also other medical reasons for becoming overweight, and there’s poverty, but all of those can’t explain away the size of the obesity problem in the developed world, and the toll it’s taking on people’s health.
    I must admit that I don’t fully understand the “junk food is cheaper” argument. I suspect that junk food is less satisfying despite being high in calories, and so some people may eat more of it to get satisfied, which then costs more.

jekkyl

I think this is a great idea, incentivising fatties to lose weight… crisps are getting expensive.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Fat people to be incentivised to loose weight’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts