Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 256 total)
  • Fat people in France…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Having just got back from France it’s hit me how there are far less fat people over there.

There abscence wasn’t obvious until I looked around this morning to see all the chubby cheeks of the car caged commuters.

Could there be something in their diet, or was it because I was in an area where people are generally more active?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Nah … It’s just that Onions aren’t that fattening.

Edit… Or garlic come to think of it

jota180
    Free Member

They don’t eat bread, fruit or any other carb based food

FACT

donsimon
    Free Member

They were all on holiday in Skegness.

FACT.

rkk01
    Free Member

Noticed the same in France on previous visits.

Was even more striking on a recent trip to Holland – I was actually surprised when I saw a larger person, which tuned my eyes in to the fact that there were, indeed, very few…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where were you? Somewhere different in demographic to your commute route?

Probably a FACTOR, THOUGH THEY DO SEEM A BIT LESS TUBBY. Damn CL.

EDIT 23% UK obesity vs 9% France

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

welcome back! how was your hols, and how did mrs yeti get on with her ride?

rkk01
    Free Member

They don’t eat bread, fruit or any other carb based food

err – I think bread, cheese, veg and red wine are far more significant diet components than meat…

Main difference I have noticed is the relative contempt for US style food outlets

ohnohesback
    Free Member

They don’t eat so much fast food in france? There they call McDonalds’ “Le Mal Boeuf”

IanMunro
    Free Member

French food tastes rubbish, so no one wants to eat it.
    That’s why they’re skinny.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Al – I was in the mountains in France. I live in Oxfordshire.

Does altitude make you skinny?

{Dirty – great on both accounts. She wants to go on another road tour already. I made it back from LG with just 7 stitches}

jota180
    Free Member

err – I think bread, cheese, veg and red wine are far more significant diet components than meat…

Wwwwhoooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ……………………….

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

They don’t eat so much fast food in france? There they call McDonalds’ “Le Mal Boeuf”

^this^

Plus far less processed food in general, more real cooking.

rkk01
    Free Member

Wwwwhoooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ……………………….

nope

oh, and
    😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

The French are generally thinner than us here in the UK. They eat more healthily and prepare more of their own food vs buying pre-prepared.

Less healthily, they are also obsessed with weight (and cellulite), particularly women.

donsimon
    Free Member

Interesting fact.
    I do believe that the quarter pounder with cheese is called a Royale with Cheese and a Big Mac is called Le Big Mac.
    Those crazy French.

rkk01
    Free Member

Always been very impressed with the supermarche in France*.

Emphasis is on fresh meat, fresh seafood, fresh veg and the obvious link to home cooking

*3-4 aisles of wines helps…

binners

Its because they just kill all the fatties. Then they turn them into animal feed which they give to horses. Which they then go on to kill and eat. Sustainability innit?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think the American fast food thing is very true… couldn’t get a KFC for love or money.

LenHankie

60 Gauloises a day tends to take the edge off one’s appetite.

philconsequence
    Free Member

how did you get the stitches? good fun?

RustySpanner

Running away & building roadblocks takes a lot of energy. 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Please avoid mentioning Montiac (from when I lived in France) – ooops!

randomjeremy
    Free Member

French people survive on cigarettes and coffee, the women especially.

DaveRambo

I think it’s as rkk says above – they appreciate good food, hence don’t eat a lot of junk, why would you when home cooked food is nicer, it also tends to be healthier.

You don’t get ready meals in french supermarkets and the fresh veg/meat is so much better than in the UK.

I love France – some things they have got right – food/drink being 2 of them.

justatheory
    Free Member

It’s a known phenomenon – The French Paradox (sounds like a film) – they eat lots of cheese, bread, cook with cream and butter etc. Maybe they’re more active, but I think we eat a lot more convenience foods in the UK, which contain lots of added sugar and fat*

I have no data or evidence to back any of this up, pure conjecture so essentially meaningless 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lived in Paris for two years. Convinced that buying fresh food every day as required was important. Never visited a supermarket the whole time I lived there – oh, apart from a very small codec once!

Frustrated by lack of vegetables though!

binners

If the food in Tesco looked in any way comparible to an average French supermarket, I’d be the size of a house! Is it possible to physically overdose on crusty bread, cooked meats and Camembert?

scaled
    Free Member

Doctor the other day pointed out that there’s nothing inherently wrong with eating bread, however, anything that lasts more than a day he doesn’t count as “bread”.

I’m trying to reduce the regularity of my HFCS/sucrose rants but after my niece was sat there drinking a can of pop with 78g of sugar in it (500ml)I started up again on Sunday.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

it must also have somthing to do with the weather as well…they get decent weather i.e 4 proper seasons so they kids are out running about and the adults are out…cycling…walking…working in the garden etc

but yes the food is the main cause look at the italians…great weather but loads of high carb food = lots of fat folk

Dr_Bakes

I just got back from the Alps too. I saw lots of fat people; mostly on Oranges and with odd French accents, “Bon Jor”, “Mercey”.

ton

french supermarche’s are ace.
    i like the fact that they push the produce local to the region as offers.
    i was drinking red wine that cost 1.40 euro a bottle the other week when i was in the Vosges.

allthepies
    Free Member

They may be thin but geeez they’re smelly.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Because they live in a civilised developed world country.We,on the other hand live in a post Thatcherite Third World shit hole.A shit hole dominated in its culture by all that is bad from the good old USA.Anybody remember high levels of obesity in the 60s and 70s.I don,t.

sobriety
    Free Member

What ticks me off is that every single box of pre-cooked chicken in tesco has sugar added to it, even the ‘healthy’ stuff. Grrr.

ElShalimo

young people in France do use fast food outlets as much as the Brits do but they tend to be located in urban populated areas i.e. the bits the tourists don’t go to
    A walk around Paris will confirm this but as with all things it’s dependent on demographics – nice middle class families discourage their kids whereas in the large French cities there are lots of poor suburbs with the same problems we have here and fast food customers

oliverd1981
    Free Member

could it be cause it’s downright impossible to get brown bread?

I think it’s ’cause they don’t have family packs of crisps.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

monkeycmonkeydo – Member
    Because they live in a civilised developed world country.We,on the other hand live in a post Thatcherite Third World shit hole

Ah, Ernie’s Law (or was it Cecil’s Law?) that didn’t take too long!! This mystical woman got everywhere!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

they give to horses. Which they then go on to kill and eat

Have you ever tried eating horse? It takes forever, you probably spend more calories chewing the stuff than it contains

jambalaya
    Free Member

don simon – Member
    Interesting fact.
    I do believe that the quarter pounder with cheese is called a Royale with Cheese and a Big Mac is called Le Big Mac.
    Those crazy French.

One of my favourite scenes from Pulp Fiction.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 256 total)

The topic ‘Fat people in France…’ is closed to new replies.