Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • fat lover or hater, this looks good!
  • hot_fiat

Gibber. Now where do I hide one of these?

boxelder

Not really understanding the need for suspension, but it does look pretty

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

boxelder – Member

Not really understanding the need for suspension, but it does look pretty

i see what you are saying, suspension stops the “bounce” of the fat tyre over rough trails, such as cornering on brake bump riddled trail centre berms and rocky natural stuff. probably better off with a standard size tyre but then the amazing traction in the slop/snow etc would be lost

wwaswas

I can see a lot of advantages combined with runnign the new lighter fat tyres – the Schwalbes are about 1kg which is about the same as a magic mary I think?

The best thing about the fat bike tyres, ime, is that there’s no ‘stiction’ when it comes to absorbing small stuff. On the sort of stuff where the suspension doesn’t react the tyres just deform and roll over it. I think combined with the benefits of suspension for faster riding over larger obstacles it makes a lot of sense.

The thing is with fat bike tyres you do only have, at best, a couple of inches of undamped travel available on a fully rigid bike and when things get fast, steep and rooty they can tend to just start bouncing their way down things rather than sticking to the ground the way an FS bike would.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Surely just a bit of front travel – 100mm say – is the best option for these Fat bike things

soma_rich
    Free Member

Lifer
    Free Member

Rich wins

bigwill
    Free Member

ive only had my fat bike a couple of weeks and now it’s total useless, damn you turner bikes.

more travel the better on a fat bike imo. you run into a rock garden fast with only 100mm of travel on a fatty and you know about it. its great to see fat bikes evolving so quickly. only a few years ago they were the domain of the pipe smoking, sowester wearing beach bunch. now they are becoming full sus monster trucks capable of destroying any trail at any time of year, and in any condition. bring it on.

hot_fiat

I reckon something big and gnarly with slack angles would make a superb fat bike. Like an Alpine 160 but with a wider chassis.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I want the tyre naming job at Schwalbe.

faustus

Surely they can’t employ a person for that? They must have a very simple/lazy alliteration generator machine that spits one out every time they have a new model.

I wish their name pool wasn’t so safe…what would be wrong with a ‘Jumbo Jesus’ or ‘Racing Rasputin’?

Northwind

That’s really nice- funny, seeing that, makes me realise why I don’t like how Turners look, they always seem a bit under-wheeled. Somehow that one makes the fat tyres look small.

What schwalbe for riding on fruit? The Jam Master Jay

bigwill
    Free Member

im with hot fiat on this one, manufacturers need to grow some balls and slacken the angles a bit. my fat bike has a 68.5 % head angle and thats not slack enough, you can really feel the difference compared to the FS. might have a look for an angle set if i can find one for the bluto.

STATO
    Free Member

might have a look for an angle set if i can find one for the bluto.

Try works components, my mukluk has a 44mm headtube so best i can do is 1 degree. If you have a taper headtube you can go upto 1.5 degree (even with taper steerer).

bikebouy
    Free Member

I quite like em, but only rigid. Something simple, clean, pure and dare I say it lythe. Then add some fat wheels and I think it looks all good. Puffins and the like I think are possibly the better looking fatties, this full suss fatties just look to enormous and hefty.

I’m still struggling with my conscience, should I get one or not.

nickc

Not really understanding the need for suspension,

**** it, who the hell cares? its a bike, for having fun. doesn’t need explaining or rationalizing.

scotroutes

Genuine question – have you ridden a fatbike on really rocky terrain?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

capable of destroying any trail at any time of year, and in any condition

I hope the purchase price of one of those Turners includes a sizable levy to be paid to the Benevolent Fund For Overworked Trail Fairies.

swavis

I’d have trouble getting that to blend in with the current fleet 😉

bigwill
    Free Member

without suspension when you ride over rock you just bonce with the big tyres, Mostly Balanced – figure of speech , too be fair they do much less damage than a standard trail bike in wet muddy conditions because the spread the load, it was one of the reasons I bought one, so that I could continue riding my favourite natural trail through the winter without rutting them up, keeping the trail fairies happy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘fat lover or hater, this looks good!’ is closed to new replies.