Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fat, hardy road tyres for retro bike.
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I have a lovely old steel framed road bike. Been out on it a fair bit over the last year. I bought a set of super skinny tyres for it, but find myself on gravel and dirt more than I do on tarmac. Can you recommend a fattish, hard-wearing set of tyres to stop me rattling my teeth out please?

And I can’t afford a cx bike before someone suggests the obvious solution 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

scwalbe marathon racers are nice (i think dureme is the same but skinnier)

panaracer paselas are lighter but slightly more punture prone. (fine for riding not great for glass strewn commuting)

michelin world tour are the budget option – but 2 or three times the weight of the above.

user-removed
    Free Member

Cheers tt – off for a look…

user-removed
    Free Member

Aah, sorry, my title isn’t clear – this is a road bike not an mtb.

igm

Schwalbe Big Apple 29ers at one end if the “fat slick” scale, Conti 4seasons 28mm at the other.

Got both, like both.

Marathons in various sizes in between.

How much clearance does the bike have?

user-removed
    Free Member

Not much clearance – skinny steel tubing leaves a little more than modern road bikes but nowhere near enough for an actual ‘fat’ tyre.

lovewookie

how retro is retro? does it run 27″ or 700c’s?

best bet is to have a look on sjscycles for 27″ if it’s that. How fat you can go will depend on how much frame clearance and clearance through the calipers you have. Give it a measure, tyres can vary from the invert tread type like continental and michelin touring tyres to the semi slick types.

700c’s

27″‘s

user-removed
    Free Member

Thanks all – not that retro, just 700c. Found the Schwalbe marathons mentioned above on CRC. Just have to measure the pinch points in the stays / fork now…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fat, hardy road tyres for retro bike.’ is closed to new replies.