Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fat front tyre for rigid 29er
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Just about to fit rigid forks to my 29er and fancy a wider and chunkier front tyre than my current 2.1 Ignitors.

Like the look of the Hans Dampf 2.35, but concerned might be a bit wide and squirmy on my TN719 rims? Would this combination work OK?

Any other recommendations for tyres appreciated.

FuzzyWuzzy

Running a HD on mine (Genesis Fortitude SS) and it’s a lot nicer than the Conti X-King the bike came with. Not sure on the rim width on mine but they’re def more XC than AM and the HD is fine, running it at 35psi atm as not converted to tubeless and don’t want to risk pinch flats. The grip is really good to (already a fan from running them on my 26″ FS), I wasn’t originally planning on changing the X-King rear to an HD as it works fairly well but tempted to now conditions are getting slimier as it’s a lot less predictable than the HD.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have a RR 2.4″ on a 35mm salsa gordo rim.

Gives me a 61mm tyre width (nobble to nobble)

Was considering trying a fatterish tyre (see jones thread) but my my calcs it wont fit in my Jones truss forks because of the extra height even if the width would go. I think my set up is close to the limit for a standard 29er fork. I have some pics somewhere, hang on

EDIT:
    RR2.4″ on 35mm rim in Jone’s truss fork (100mm QR, 29er)

same wheel in 2007ish Reba 29ers
    (coming, just got to kick this crappy work computer…)
    here we go

mattjg
    Free Member

Hans Dampf 29×2.35 tubeless at about 16psi front on my rigid Swift and about 20psi rear. Goes well. (I weigh 80kg in my birthday suit). Rim is a Crest.

It’s squirmy on tarmac but spot on on the current soft-going off road. More pressure would firm them up of course. I am surprised at the higher pressures many folks run, I don’t see why really.

HD is perhaps a tad overkill for where/what I do, but to my mind I’m banking a bit of the rigid fork dividend and it works out. I’d likely run something a bit lighter (I have RoRos) in the ‘summer’.

Want me to measure the HDs?

Clobber
    Free Member

2.4 Ardents are about as big and comfy as you can go I think… They are really nice and fast but not a mud tyre…

EDIT: I see on-one have released their 29×2.4 chunky monkey, could be worth a try…?

Stoner
    Free Member

where have you seen the chunky monkey>? Im special needs. Ignore me.

EDIT AGAIN

Weights TBA, but if you’re concerned, it’s probably the wrong tyre for you.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOCM29X24/on_one_chunky_monkey_29x24_tyre
    oh yeah? 😀

its 800g isnt it?…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m running 2.35 panaracer rampage tyres on my 719’s, not been a problem.

Bregante

I’m pretty impressed with these bargainous luvvlies so far!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/geax-gato-29er-mtb-folding-tyre/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fat front tyre for rigid 29er’ is closed to new replies.