Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Fat ex footballers
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just saw a pic of present day Neville Southall. Bloody hell!!

Anyone else match him in the fat stakes?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Diego Maradona

steve-g
    Free Member

John Barnes, while not as big, surely represents a larger %age increase. Southall was almost that big when he was playing

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thomas Brolin is very chinny these days

binners

Steve Bruce. Though he was never exactly svelte

More worryingly, his nose seem to have taken on a life of its own

dooosuk
    Free Member

Ronaldo got a little weighty very quickly after retiring:

theotherjonv

**** me.

Neville was big without ever being fat in his prime. He did put on weight in his later career, but compared to Nev in his prime

that must be the biggest % gain.

Although Steve Bruce……..

And as for Maradona. He’d need a stepladder to be able to get his hand of god above Shilton now. And a bloody strong one at that.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Ronaldo got a little weighty very quickly after retiring:

his weight always yoyo’d during his career

Neil Ruddock, although he was never skinny

nice tits Bosnich

muggomagic

Saw Neil Shipperley managing a team against my local county league side in the FA Cup qualifiers a few years ago. He’s put on a few pounds.

muggomagic

Jamie Pollock is another that likes a pie or 10

steve-g
    Free Member

I stand corrected, Southall as I remember him was far chunkier than that.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

But he was a fat bstrd of a player too, so probably doesn’t count.

Pigface
    Free Member

Nev the adulterer, wow he is mahoosive. Was a fine keeper in his day.

ElShalimo

Jan Molby, much like Ronald Koeman, was never an athletic specimen but they could play sublime football.

retro83
    Free Member

dirtyrider – Member

his weight always yoyo’d during his career

Neil Ruddock, although he was never skinny

Saw him on one of those debt collector programs, both his wife girlfriend and him came across as deeply unpleasant characters!

ETA:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTtD2CMwgQ

😆

ourmaninthenorth

Alan Brazil. Good laugh on the beers but my god you need to make sure you’re not paying his bar bill…!

anagallis_arvensis

What about ex rugby players:

Now

Then:
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZqEayR_-A[/video]

badnewz
    Free Member

The greatest players have always been prone to carrying a bit of dinner. Bill Nicholson described a young Gazza as “barrel chested” in his scouting report which was a polite way of saying overweight.
    Matt Le Tissier has also put on some timber. I can still remember watching two waif-life bambi’s floating around White Hart Lane, Hoddle and Waddle – both prefer the cafe to the training pitch these days.

Cougar

At the risk of being a killjoy, I think this thread is a bit sad. Distasteful, even.

I’ve no love of football personally, but. It seems to me that we all too fleetingly idolise those who smash their bodies to extremes in the name of sport and entertainment, and then when their careers are over and they don’t adjust particularly well to no longer having to inhale 3,000 calories a day any more, we then have a thread going “look at the fatties!”

It’s all a bit… wrong. They’re fat now because they wanted to please you then, and to be the best at what they could do. Not because lazy bastards cake pies insert cliché here.

Should I look forward to the “Wiggo and Cav, Pair of Fat Knackers” thread in ten years, then?

bearnecessities

binners

I don’t think anyone’s begrudging them a few pies when they’ve put themselves through pubishing fitness regimes for years to provide us withe quality sport and entertainment.

I’ve posted a picture up of a rotund Steve Bruce. Well bloody good luck to him. I’m not mocking him. It’d be a bit rich coming from me. Be in no doubt…. I personally think Steve Bruce is a ****ing Legend!!

MoreCashThanDash

I saw Le Tissier on the telly recently and he seemed slimmer than when he was playing!

rene59
    Free Member

It’s like a woman’s weekly in here.

bearnecessities

I’ve not seen a thread asking how to knit an orgasm.

joat

pubishing fitness regimes

This is probably the cause.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s like a woman’s weekly in here.

Hardly.

choppersquad
    Free Member

??? That is so funny.

brakes
    Free Member

Jamie Pollock is another that likes a pie or 10

just reverting to the standard size of a Boro lad.

muggomagic

Jamie Pollock is the scorer of one of the greatest own goals EVER!

[video]http://youtu.be/eWNjWfIHXL4[/video]

martinhutch

DezB
    Free Member

I wonder if pro athletes are prone to this weight gain because of the more extreme amount of training they did when in sport. If, when they retire, they stop training completely, it must be easy to bulk up.

brakes
    Free Member

I don’t think you even have to be a pro. I played football 3 times a week for about 12 years through my teens and early 20s – when I stopped playing altogether I put on weight (albeit that was combined with boozing and a sedentary job).

toys19
    Free Member

At the risk of being a killjoy, I think this thread is a bit sad. Distasteful, even.

this ^^^

theotherjonv

Possibly; but it is a typically sportsman / laddish pisstake. When I meet up with my university mates, and we’re fairly self selecting I’ll admit because a lot of my university social life was based around football, it’s all pisstaking – who’s gained timber, who’s got a stupid beard, wtf did you get that shirt from, etc. When Steve Bruce meets up with his ex colleagues for sure Roy Keane will be giving it out 10x what we’re doing which is really pointing it out. Doesn’t make it ‘right’ but in the grand scheme of world ills, I’ve others to sort first.

As for the how. I don’t care what people say about food in vs energy burned, some people have slower burn rates than others; we all know someone who can’t walk past a bakers without gaining weight, other who can say the contents of it with no effect. Some players clearly are the same and have to work hard to keep themselves at weight all through their careers. Luke Shaw seems to be one of the current crop, Gazza, big Nev, etc. When they played they’d have put most of us on here to shame physically, but once they don’t need to take care any more, if they want to enjoy life without running 7 miles a day, who’s to say they can’t. Others enjoy being supremely fit and will cling to a version of that as long as they can. I wish id stayed slim and fit, coming back to sport and reversing 15 years of rich living is far harder.

Just expect Keano to pat your belly next time you meet rather than ignore it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

this ^^^

yet here you both are, after clicking a link saying “Fat ex Footballers” 😆

boblo
    Free Member

Classic deflection; ‘fat STW posters…’ 😀

Cougar

yet here you both are, after clicking a link saying “Fat ex Footballers”

Yeah, ordinarily I’d usually be of the opinion “don’t like it, don’t read it.” However, as a Moderator I’m compelled to read things which the title suggests could be a problematic thread.

toys19
    Free Member

I disagree, if you were not a mod and you see racism do you not feel compelled to challenge it?
    Gotta have the courage of your convictions. This thread is distinctly fattist and not helpful to people trying to make or keep themselves healthy.
    This is not the daily mail is it? Or the mirror?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Fat ex footballers’ is closed to new replies.