Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fat Curious
  • adsh
    Free Member

Always behind the curve me but I do wonder about this.

Please tell me that a Fat Bike would be a very bad choice for muddy Chilterns double track. I like to do long XC rides and possibly the odd winter race and I’m a bit bored.

Work is bad, I could make some space

If it does work in mud how much give is there in a fat front with rigid as I’ve got pretty crap wrists.

wwaswas

If it’s ‘sticky’ mud then it’s bad.

If your current tyres get gummed up with mud during a normal winter ride then the same will happen with fat tyres. Only worserer.

I stop riding my fatty round here (South Downs near Brighton) during the worst of the muddy season as the wheels end up weight 10kg each once you ride on anything with a clay based soil and even on the chalky bits they’re not great.

also, wider tyres tend to skate across sticky/slick mud where as narrow tyres dig in a bit more. Obviously on boggy ground this behaviour is a good thing – you float oer stuff but there’s not much like that round here.

I’d still try and get a go on one but they’re actually better as bikes for the months when the ground is wet rather than sodden, ime, at the moment we’ve not really hit ‘mud’ it’s more just wet earth and fat tyres still give an advantage.

zippykona

Sounds like you want a fat bike with thin wheels for maximum mud clearance and a pair of chewy bars.
    In fact has anyone got a picture of those fat not fat wheels on a fatty?
    Ps fatties are great. It certainly made me ride more last winter.

epicyclo

I love my fatbikes. They go where no other bike would have a chance.

But there’s some conditions where a skinnier tyre is better. If you’re never going to venture into true fatbike territory, you’re probably better off with on of the plus sizes which fall between both worlds.

Nothing gets heavier than a fatbike being ridden in claggy mud….

whitestone
    Free Member

Had some comedy dismounts on Sunday as I dropped down out of the snow into the bit where the snow was melting and the underlying ground was soft and waterlogged. I do have “summer” tyres on ATM so new it was likely to happen.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fat Curious’ is closed to new replies.