Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fat bikes with 29+ wheels – anyone doing/tried it?
  • singletracksurfer

I’ve got a Surley Krampus which I really like but would like to be lighter. There is a new carbon Trek Stache 9.6 coming out but I quite enjoy riding a fat bike too so wondering if I get 2 in 1. Or is it too much of a compromise?

So far I’m looking at the Salsa Beargrease (which Charlie the Bikemonger has just built one up as 29+), Trek Farley, Lamere from the US of A, and Travers Ti fat bastard.

Thanks.

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve got a Kermode carbon fattie with 5″ studded tyres for winter use and with Jumbo Jim’s for summer trails.
    It weighs less than my Tallboy and is so much fun to ride.

http://www.kermodebikes.com/

STATO
    Free Member

Got an ICT with 5″fat and 29+ wheels, rides fine with both as same outer diameter. Only thing you might consider an issue is the wider cranks when running the 29+, doesn’t bother me though.

rOcKeTdOg

29×3″ fits on an on one fatty easily

singletracksurfer

Yeah I think I can live with the wider cranks so reckon if there isn’t much else to worry about I’ll go down that route.

The Kermode looks very interesting. Did you get it from overseas – is there duty etc to pay on top?

The Scott Big John looks very nice too.

I like the sound of the V2 Puffin, but it’s another (heavy) steel frame.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fat bikes with 29+ wheels – anyone doing/tried it?’ is closed to new replies.