Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fat Bikes and tyre pressures
  • letmetalktomark

I have a Singular Puffing running Nates om Marge Lites and a Genesis Fortitude running a Knard on a Dually.

For both set ups I’ve found I’ve needed more than I thought to prevent squirm on the 29er+ set up and to protect the rims on the fat set up.

Just me or have other found this?

I’m reasonably heavy at 90ish kg but am light on the wheels (never pranged one) and the salt flats of Suffolk are hardly a testing environment.

Just curious.

wwaswas

My problem has been working out what pressure I’m actually running mine at.

My track pump says about 15psi and my super duper electrical one says 7psi. In terms of finger test they’ve got a fair amount of give but more over ripe tangerine than cushion off the sofa. Any less and the drag does me in on climbs.

hot_fiat

Running between 10 and 20 on mine (ghetto tubeless). 10 is really quite squirmy – you can actually hear tarmac tearing at the rubber when you turn the bar from side to side. 20 is HARD! with 15 generally the place to be. The gauges on anything sold by a bicycle shop are very inaccurate.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m a heavy guy and the pressure for a Knard on a dually for me is around 12/13 psi but I use a seperate gauge rather than that lying git of a dial on my trackpump.

drofluf
    Free Member

11st and running Nate (f) Floater (r) at about 11psi

Fudd
    Free Member

I’m 64kg with Nates / Rolling Darryl tubeless and run them at around 6psi. Above 7psi and the bike is too bouncy and below 5psi the tyres fart air. I did run as low as 4.5psi when I had tubes in but the extra drag was noticeable.

big_scot_nanny

All 3 of my pressure gauges are useless for fat tires.

I ride nate back, Bud front. I ride them too hard and let pressure out until they are deforming and gripping nicely, but if get too squirmy offroad, or rocks really whack of the rims when at speed, put a bit more pressure in.

I would say the pressure feels like the entry ramp to a big bouncy castle.

Twodogs

I’ve got rolling Darryl and Dillingers…running at 7psi at the moment, having just converted to tubeless but with tubes went down to between 5 and 6

igm

Anyone found a decent pressure gauge for (say) 6-22 psi?

bedmaker

Measured with a trials bike guage, I’m on 4-5 psi front and 6-7 rear. Buds ghetto tubeless

40mpg

12st, floaters with Spesh DH tubes, 8 psi on sand, 9-10 for general trail duties.

Measured with a Halfords digital pressure gauge which was about £14 and seems pretty accurate at low pressures.

john_l
    Free Member

9psi on a Knard according to my SKS gauge. On a Blunt 35. 60kg

nedrapier

just emailed this trials bike shop about this gauge:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/apico-low-pressure-gauge.html

Reply:

Yes, it has a button to release pressure, please note this gauge only goes up to 15psi. They are very good gauges, we personally use them at trials and in the workshop.

blurb from site: Tyre pressure gauge reads from 0 to 15 psi with 0.2 increments giving very accurate readings on a large easy to read dial, perfect for trials fat bikes.

This product is not designed to be used over 15psi as it can be damaged leading to inaccurate readings. Please ensure your tyre is at a low pressure before using the gauge.

tomhoward

/\ ordered! will report back!

fwiw im running Ground Control 4.6s somewhere around 8 and 10 psi, based on a compressor then track pump guage. seems ok for general riding so far.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Bud and Lou at 0.5 bar, 7.5psi tubeless, on clown shoe rims. 92kg rider.

Reduced to approx 5 psi in proper snow (mountains)

tomhoward

too late for edit, thats wih tubes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bikes and tyre pressures’ is closed to new replies.