Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fat bikes again – suspension forks?
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I know you’re meant to enjoy the rigid forks and floaty tyres, but having just done 12 dishes of Xmas Eve I’m left wondering – are there any bouncy forks that will take a fat wheel?
    Epicyclo, will you make one?

Lionheart
    Free Member

The pics of the Sandmans show them with Mavericks, so guess these will take a certain width rim (wonder upto what width?) and then an Endo.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m no expert but Shirley it would have to be an upside down fork and I’ve only seen pics of Mavericks

lipseal
    Free Member

What about the Jones one?

coastkid
    Free Member

Maverick SC32 and there dual crown fork DUC32 will fit a 4″ tyre with a 50mm rim… search through MTBR fatbike forum for posts on these forks,
    Also with a bit fiddling a Lefty fork

firestarter
    Free Member

You got 100mm travel in the tyre 😉

gil_

Set my Pugsley up with a set of SC32’s this year, running a 29er spacer kit in them, to be honest I have only used it in a min 12″ of snow so can’t really confirm dry trail handling/advantage but as a fork they have always been good for me

Clearance is fine with a Larry and wheelbuild is pretty straight forward with the 24mm hub into a Large Marge rim

Seems like the easiest option…

singlespeedstu

lipseal – Member

Jeff has never made a suspension fork.

rOcKeTdOg

..is finding this thread very interesting as i have a spare pair of SC32s in the bike cupboard

firestarter
    Free Member

…is finding this thread depressing as I knocked back a set of mav forks a few months back to keep my monkey rigid, wish I had em now at least I could go half fat. Bah hindsight and all that

epicyclo

Couple of spacers, an old Girvin fork, and you have a fat fork.

Project for New Year.

I think the Downhill lads may have some forks that might work – probably need shortening.

Edit: need longer legs too.

Hairychested
    Free Member

epicyclo, will those forks not only work with a 100mm front hub? Maybe 110mm if 20mm bolt-thru?

lipseal
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

lipseal – Member

Jeff has never made a suspension fork.

But would you say that there must be some because of the design of it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think most folk take suspension to mean having moving parts.

singlespeedstu

lipseal.

There’s no flex at all in a truss fork.

gil_

Still would say the SC is the easiest option or a DUC if you want a bit more travel ~ Happy Christmas 🙂

epicyclo

Hairychested – Member
    epicyclo, will those forks not only work with a 100mm front hub? Maybe 110mm if 20mm bolt-thru?

If you spaced a Girvin out to take a 135 hub it would have enough clearance for the tyre.

Just need to lengthen the legs then.

I’ve taken one apart to check if this is feasible, but it would only be worthwhile if you already had the Girvin.

However seeing as a Maverick SC does the job out of the box…

lipseal
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve never used one but thought they had some bounce in them, every days a skool day.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fat bikes again – suspension forks?’ is closed to new replies.