Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fat Bikers – trouble seating tyres
  • 40mpg

Sorry that should read fat-bikers. But at least it’ll get EVERYONES interest on here 😉

I can’t get my On-One Floater tyres to sit properly on the rims. There’s a real dip in one spot. I’ve tried lower pressures, squeezing and pressing, higher pressures, even tried prising the bead up a bit with tyre levers with the tyre half inflated, but no luck.

I think the dip is where the tyre was folded in storage as there’s a white fold mark running across the tyre here. Could this have damaged the bead making it ‘baggy’ so it doesn’t grip the rim in this spot?

Anyone got any tips how to sort this?

big_scot_nanny

Sorry to post that I am not going to be able to answer the question specifically, however…

Does it matter? I would just pump it to normal usual fat bike low pressure and go riding.

From memory I had this on a Dissent 29er tire many moons ago, just went out and used it and over time it sorted itself enough that I didn’t worry about it any more.

YMMV etc etc

40mpg

Its giving a noticeable ‘bump’ when riding on smoother stuff even at 10psi. Only had one ride so far so maybe it’ll sort itself out if there’s nothing else I can do.

big_scot_nanny

Hmm, does sound a bit like the tire might be buggered. Can you pump it up to 30psi or so and it still doesn’t get the kink out?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

The tyres ok, it happens quite a lot.

Easy to cure, let the tyres down so you can rub hot soapy water around both sides of the rims with a brush.

Start pumping.

Go up to around 30 to 40psi

Leave it over night

In the morning lower the pressure to what you want.

Problem cured

tazzymtb

yep as JC has said, bit of lube and lots of pumping and your fat one will be all glorious in its bulbosity

JohnClimber
    Free Member

If you have a smaller inner tube it is more prone to it.

But with a heavy Surly Fat Bike tube in it’s never an issue apart from the extra weight

singlespeedstu

Are you using tubes?
    Make sure the kink in the tyre is not by the valve as the valve bonding can often stop the tube expanding as it should.

brant
    Free Member

If the tyre is screwed, send it back and we will change. We had lots of tyres turn up today, including those new coloured Fatty ones.

The night before the Rovaniemi race last year, me and Oxley were lubing up his rim a lot to get the bead seated properly.

Oooh. Err.

cozz
    Free Member

i got some wd40 silicon spray (not normal wd40) and a blast of that round the beads, then bang 25 psi in and leave over night, then drop to correct pressure, job done

monkeyp

Whoa – hang on, did you just say COLOURED fatty tyres?

40mpg

Cheers Brant. I sent a message to your new ‘contact-us’ system and had a response later the same day asking to send pics to your warranty dept, which I’ll do.

In the mean time I’ll take your advice and lube my rim 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bikers – trouble seating tyres’ is closed to new replies.