Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Fat bike wheel & tyre size options
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Interested to see what other wheel sizes and tyre options people are using on their fatbikes.
    Seems to be a lot of people putting 29er wheels on with + tyres.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=955584&page=1

I was thinking of 27.5+ for another set of wheels. At least that would allow my Mrs to use it, 29er + would probably raise the bottom bracket?

Do we have to get custom builds because of the hubs needed?

trout
    Free Member

I have just built up couple of 27.5 plus wheels onto my hope Fatsno hubs
    only had a couple of rides on the Puffin with the new wheels I like them lots .

I am not sure If i will go back to full fat

otsdr
    Free Member
    Goldigger
    Free Member

Trout,
    Talk about put the dampners on the fatbike I’ve just bought.. 🙁

trout
    Free Member

Golddigger
    been enjoying the Fatty for 4 years and still like em
    but getting to be an old bastardo and pushing those fat tyres gets harder
    the semiskimmed works for me
    and you did ask about thinner tyres

are you still doing lights

Goldigger
    Free Member

Haha I know what you mean about getting older and cycling not getting any easier.

I attempted to finish a light during the summer that I started about 3 years ago.
    Needless to say it’s still not finished.
    I broke another DTI and never got round to replacing it so I could finish it.

lustyd
    Free Member

I’m using 26×4.8 Jumbo Jims on mine and it’s about as fun as it gets 🙂

Mugboo

Trout, you’ll be back on a fatty, it’ll be electric that’s all…

dovebiker

I have a 29plus anyway, but having originally started with 65mm rims on my fatbike with 3.8″ and 4.5″ tyres, I’ve now gone the whole hog and built some wheels with 90mm carbon rims and running 5.05″ Snowshoe 2XLs, biggest tyres available for a trip to the arctic in 2 weeks. Hopefully the difference between riding in walking- complete overkill for normal UK conditions, bit draggy but mad levels of grip.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Trout, have you got a pic of your fatbike with the 27.5+ wheels on?
    Which rims did you use?

I always had a suspicion that a fatbike might look a bit odd with say 2.8/3.0 tyres because of the width of the fork/rear stays.

Are you still fettling with lights for your own use?

trout
    Free Member

Golddigger yes piccy

not at the moment I am using old proto`s for riding

Jason already gone E with a Trek Powerfly 42 years fitting flooring so am trying to get a few more years out of the old knees

Mugboo

I know Chris, spotted it on Facebook, I can see your next one being a Fat one.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

For 29plus duties I use my Krampus, fat bike wise my favourite one is my Borealis running full fat on 90mm carbon rims with double Surly Buds tubeless. The speed and weight of the bike make it a joy to ride and almost effortless, just ask coastkid about when I was freewheeling behind him when we were honking through yellowcraigs last year 😀

For me fatbikes are about full fat, and I’ve upsized my regular bike so that I now run 50mm rims/2.75 tyres off a Surly Instigator on my full suss Cotic Rocket, now that bike is an absolute hoonigan or a ride and I fully recommend it 😆

rickmeister

Dove biker, are you on the 2xl’s both ends?

There are only a few frames that can take them…

dovebiker

My frame is custom – I specc’d clearance for 5″ tyres before the 2XLs were available. Whilst a 2XL fits on a 65mm rim, its too tight for a 90mm so have fitted a 4.8″ as I want to run the wider rim for float on soft snow. Probably means I’ll have to get another frame built!

rocketman
    Free Member

29×3 Scott Big John

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m just looking at the options I have if I get rid of one of my other bikes.

It makes sense that a fat bike is a bike sold with 4-5″ tyres on wide rims..
    So I can’t see why I can’t have the HT do more than just be a fatbike, by putting on different size rims and tyres..

If I get rid of my anthem my Mrs will have to walk as she thinks the fat bike looks ridiculous and won’t ride it.

But if I can add some normal size wheels/tyres I can have more than a fatbike.. 27.5+ 29+ and a bike she can use..

Hell I might even swap the bluto for a pike 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike wheel & tyre size options’ is closed to new replies.