Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fat bike tyres
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve currently go Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 4.0″ TLE Snakeskin on my fattie, but having ripped an inch long hole in the rear one this week and the price of the bloody things, are there any viable alternatives?

I’m happy with the grip and the rolling of them for where I ride my fattie, and really like the fact they they’re pretty light too.

I’ve seen these Maxxis Mammoth ones going pretty cheap on Planet X, what are they like?

zippykona

Most people think mammoths are crap,I’ve never tried them.
    I have tried, Nates,Knards ,Floaters and Bontrager Hodags.
    Hodags are the best. The rest steer like shit.
    When I had knards front and rear I honestly thought that I’d finally snapped my Fatty frame it was steering so bad.
    I nursed it home fully prepared to build my emergency Trail frame up and checked it over for cracks. Couldn’t find any so put my Hodags back on and it was business as normal.
    I have mused on here about 120 tpi tyres and self steer. Really can’t see how a pliable side wall can help accurate steering.

postierich
    Free Member

nates and floaters for me on 52mm rims

wwaswas

Nates work best for me on wooded singletrack – 65 and 52mm rims.

oink1
    Free Member

No issues with Mammoths 🙂

scotroutes

Nates for winters (120tpi) and HuDus for summer.

flashes
    Free Member

I have either Mammouth or a Larry up front, Endomorph rear. The Mammouth is fine, except in slippy mud…..

Goldigger
    Free Member

Jumbo Jim’s for me…but then I’ve not tried any other tyre.

Bike-discount £44

whitestone
    Free Member

HuDus for summer, VanHelgas for winter.

NormalMan

Another Nates user here.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Bud and Lou, year round. I’m on my 3rd Lou and 2nd Bud after 3 years.

Tried knards and also thought I’d broken my frame like the poster above. Horrible horrible tyres.

austy
    Free Member

If you are after a good value tyre rather rolls pretty quickly and decent side walls have you looked at the specialized fast track fat.
    Haven’t had one but will be looking at the them when my tyres wear out, I have floaters on attending the mo.
    Don’t just take my word have attached search for rolling resistance website. Measures tyres rolling resistance and other aspect too.

chrisdavids

Early days with a specialized fast trak on the rear but it seems pretty good and has stood up well to lakes riding thus far. They weren’t expensive either.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hodags are amazing in mud but then again I only used my Fattie in mud they have gone up even more £110 a tyre crazy.

accu
    Free Member

mammoths for summer
    van helgas or nates for winter..

keefmac

mammoths are fine when its dry, a tendency to slide in the mud. ok in snow

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike tyres’ is closed to new replies.