Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fat Bike Tubes and / or mudguards?
  • perchypanther
    Free Member

As a new Fat Bike-ist I require a bit of education in the Way of the Fatty

Question the first – What inner tubes for fat tires? Any bargains out there?

*Awaits responses advocating tubeless. Can’t be arsed with the faff.

Question the second – Bestest Mudguards for the avoidance of dogshit splashery?

onandon
    Free Member

Schwalbe sv13f lightweight free ride tube. Not the cheapest but easily the lightest.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sv13f Schwalbe tubes for less weight, sv13j for more robust.

For guards, I use SKS Fatboards. I also bought a Grand Dad fork guard, but I only got around to thinking about fitting it just before finally fitting the On One Carbon fork, which does not have the steerer void like the default Wazoo has by the fork crown, so it has never come out of the packaging!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnnyboy666
    Free Member

What fatbike is it that you have?

John

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wazoo innit!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run one of those RRP fat front fenders and it does the job, also have a BB fat front for when it’s properly rubbish.

As for inner tubes, don’t know as I’m set up tubeless

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I think for tubes just any 2.5-3.0 tube should work although it never felt quite right to me. Sorry but tubeless it was for me. I have some PDW Dave’s mud shovels. They have a pretty big coverage so work very well and stay put.

John

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

Go tubeless, carry spare inner tube from PX/O-O. You can not go much cheaper than 2.99 a piece 🙂

PX/O-O inner tubes

Cheers!
    I.

big_scot_nanny

Sorry, but tubeless with fattystripper. Its worth the faff, and really quite easy. (the 2.5 tubes always failed a the seems for me, and with big tubes one still gets flats)

PDW front and back as well for me when its really wet and sloppy, always have a mudhugger thing on the forks. Without it, trail detritus and spray is constantly being chucked into my face.

NormalMan

For me it’s these: Schwalbe sv13j and mucky nutz mudguards.

Northwind

I tried the Sv13f but one split outright, stretched too thin. The others just didn’t seem to fill th tyre properly, it sounds daft but at riding rpessure I could feel a difference in the sidewall, like the tube was pushing unequally on the outer. That might not be what was actually happening but it was weird. So I kept them for emergency spares. Same with DH tubes.

Tubeless is seriously worth looking into. Yes it’s a faff but it’s a faff on your terms, in the garage or the garden with tunes on and a beer, tubes are a faff up a hill in a rainstorm. And inflating tubeless tyres with any sort of portable pump is crap. Fatbikes live and die on getting the pressures right so the less compromise the better.

Mudguards, I have a mudhugger fat front and 29er rear. They are hideous and the front didn’t fit my bike at all (it’s got a square crown design, rigid fatties tend to have rounded crowns) so I had to heatgun it right out of shape, not impressed at that. But they do work. And nothing throws mud like a fat tyre.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Expanding foam

And only ride when the weather is grand.

epicyclo

I’m another SV13f user, but not on a tyre bigger that 4″.

I found on the bigger tyres where you have to use low pressures you get tube creep and next thing is you have a micro hole at the valve stem. When the tyre goes soft the tube realigns and you can pump it up again and all seems well for a few miles, then…. it all starts again.

As for mudguards, I reckon more is better. Especially in winter when it’s slushy because the longer you can avoid getting damp, the longer you can avoid the start of hypothermia.

I use motorbike trials mudguards and make my own stays, but I have recently discovered these at Classic Cycles in Germany.

I have bought a set but have yet to fit them. They seem well made, but are heavier that my DIY ones.

bedmaker

Tubeless 😀

Seriously – I’d rather faff in the shed for a couple of hours and then ride faff free happily ever after than change punctures out in the wet cold.

Mudguards – what Epi said.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I can help you out on the mudguard front, check out the BBB front and rear, seriously the best mudguards I’ve ever had!

They pop on and off easily should you wish to get to and from ride in car and not use roof rack sail power, plus they are a semi rigid plastic so excessive winter grunge doesn’t stick to badly.

Tried a few and ended up with BBB front and rear and a muckynutz fork mounted fat bike one to (watch out when you order for FS versus rigid fork options – I didn’t).

James

whitestone
    Free Member

Mucky Nutz on the front, PDW Daves Mud Shovel Fender at the back. Run tubeless.

scotroutes

I’ve been using the Specialized 2.5-3.0 tubes on my 4″ fatbike for almost 5 years now. I’ve had two punctures in that time.

SKS Grand DAD and MOM are pretty wide and easily removed. I’d try the Mudhuggers too.

dahedd
    Free Member

I have a Voodoo Wazoo (£400 in Halfords now apparently) & love it, my bike of choice right now, my full sus feeling very neglected.

Tried going tubeless with a Fatty Stripper kit & failed miserably. I’m thinking cheap rims & warped Floater tyres.

I’m using a 29er Mudhugger on the rear (bloody expensive but works wonderfully) & a Zefal lite XL on the front (less than a tenner)

Upgraded the bike with new tyres, stem, bars, saddle & dropper since getting it. Suspension & new front wheel next perhaps.

motozulu
    Free Member

Tubeless is seriously worth looking into. Yes it’s a faff but it’s a faff on your terms, in the garage or the garden with tunes on and a beer, tubes are a faff up a hill in a rainstorm. And inflating tubeless tyres with any sort of portable pump is crap. Fatbikes live and die on getting the pressures right so the less compromise the better

This, this and this again ^^

You do NOT want to be wrestling with fatbike tyres and rims, trailside, mid winter.

Best thing I ever did was go tubeless on the fatty – even more so than ‘normal’ bikes.

rickmeister

The tyre lever trick to seat fatbike beads is simple and brilliant. Makes fatbike tyre inflation with a trackpump very very easy.

Go tubeless and save weight, faff, rotating mass….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bike Tubes and / or mudguards?’ is closed to new replies.