Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fat bike test ride
  • Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

After all the recent talk on here and watching a few of coastkids videos I decided I needed to give fat biking a go, luckily a friend of mine was over from Alaska with his very nice ti fatback and i’ve borrowed it for a few weeks.

Rode down to the beach on Sunday and was pretty impressed with how it went on the road, the tyres were a bit hard for the really soft dry sand at the beach ( I live in Perth, Australia) but I didn’t have a pump so didn’t want to let them down. Went pretty well on the harder sand near the waters edge though.

Needs more experimenting with tyre pressures before i’m convinced but for now i’ve sent a speculative email off to Alaska to see how much a aluminum fatback will sent me back landed.

And the seat bag is mine, feel a bit guilty for leaving it on for the photos now…..

epicyclo

It is cruel and vicious of you to be posting pics of Oz sun & beaches when we are suffering.

Is this revenge for the Oz Great Cricket Debacle? 🙂

You can’t go wrong with a fat bike in Oz IMO. Probably ideal for many of the riding conditions there. I wish I had one when I lived out west because it probably would have coped with the loose bulldust and sandy going better.

I’m taking a fork and fatwheel out with me next trip over to stick on my 29er. Almost as good as the real thing.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Haha, I’m a pom so I get to win the cricket AND live here…, flippin hot today though.

Doesn’t seem to be very many fat curious over here despite the conditions though i have seen a few posts on the mtbr fat forum about the Simpson desert race, looks interesting.

takisawa2

Fancy living in a dump like that.

Jammy begger. 😕
    Did you emigrate or just passing through?
    Like it?

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Sort of meant to be passing through, allthough I do love it here and now have a local missus and little boy so it may be more permanent….

Which brings me onto another question, anyone tried fitting a child seat on a fat bike?

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Just back from second attempt tonight, went better with the tyres a bit softer, email back from speedway in Alaska too, prices are pretty reasonable…….getting very tempted

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Final test ride on some normal trails and i’m sold, just rides over the top of anything, which is great when you’re a bit of a uncoordinated fool with poor balance like myself…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

If you don’t mind me asking, what price did Speedway come up with for the alloy frame?

Ta

singlespeedstu

All the Fatback prices here

Not sure about shipping though.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Cheers Stu … not as bad as I first thought.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Surely, once you add P&P you might just as well get a Surly or a Salsa from Charlie.
    epicyclo, with a fork that takes a 29er wheel easily and is 87mm wide at the 26″ rim, is there a tyre worth considering on a 60-ish mm rim? The rear would be a 26″ adVantage, just about enough space by the looks of things on my Kinesis.

singlespeedstu

The only way to get a salsa ATM is to do what myself and a couple of others did and import it yourself.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Says they do steel but no prices 🙁 Pugsley.still looks best value to me.

HC I’ve been looking at tyres and there’s nothing in between 3″ Gaza and Leopard and 4″ Endo and Larry so 3″ is as big as you will get in your fork. If you are after a Gaza let me know.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I will be at some point. Will make sure it’s known 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That’s a Jones fat fork I believe.

daveells
    Free Member

Who wanted my endo, it’s ready to be re homed now £45

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ll have it, my email on my profile and I’ll look for yours.

Woody
    Free Member

Al – if your looking for other parts, I have a whole front end ie. Pug fork, endo on Koxx 46m rim 135mm Hope hub. PM me if you’re interested.

Mantastic
    Free Member

@woody, what condition is the endo in? And how much you looking for?

rOcKeTdOg

funnel webs hate the fat tyre, looks awesome

rOcKeTdOg

Hubba

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

What happened Woody – you didn’t dig the Fatty thing?

Woody
    Free Member

Nah – quite the opposite Futon, I’m looking at getting a Sandman and need to get some funds in for the build 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Cool 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike test ride’ is closed to new replies.