Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fat bike or singlespeed??
  • nellycrosscheck
    Free Member

I ‘need’ a new bike. I can’t decide. What do you reckon??

5thElefant
    Free Member

Combine the two.

postierich
    Free Member

where do you live? are you quite fit? most fat blokes ride fat bikes in the Midlands were its nice and flat only Tazzy rides fat and SS

m0rk
    Free Member

Shirley the answer is ‘yes’

And just get both (or use man maths to re-purpose an old frame into the singlespeed)

zippykona

Buy a fat bike and don’t change gear.

johnnystorm

Singlespeed Fatbike, you get both then.

Pugsley SS @ CTBM sale

johnnystorm

Ah, great minds and all that… 😉

verbboy
    Free Member
    nedrapier

SS and fat here, (positerich – on Taz’s old puffin) Loving it. Fat suits SS too, stand up and gurn, the back just grips, front’s less prone to lifting, being a little heavier, and tyres at both ends are much less likely to get knocked off line or hang up on bits of thing, they just conform and roll up.

Get a fatbike with tensioner/s, EBB or slidey swingy dropouts, then you can start SS and put a cassette on when you realise that there’s some good reasons most people have got a range of gears.

I’ve got some ready to fit. not relented. yet.

breadcrumb

I do a bit of SSing, I can imagine SS fat bike being hard work.

Guess it depends on your terrain but I wouldn’t entertain SS fatty in the Lakes.

postierich
    Free Member

I would never ride an old bird of Tazzys!

nedrapier

Ha!

benji
    Free Member

Plus and single speed makes more sense than full fat.

takisawa2

Did someone say Midlands fat bloke ?

Singlespeed & semi fat.

Northwind

Go even further, get a geared fatbike but ride it in the wrong gear at all times. On a singlespeed, occasionally the one gear you have is actually the ideal gear, which immediately spoils it. But with gears, you don’t have that problem, you can just shift into a different, wrong gear.

Wronggearing is the new black.

tazzymtb

The answer is a jones, single speed, with a fat front. *waves at postie, ned, taki and benji*

dovebiker

Really depends on what type of riding / where you ride. I’m running my 29+ SS at the moment and whilst an SS Fatty kind of appeals, it would be more for summer use rather than winter – I like the fact that I can ride stuff on my fatbike – really steep, soft, rooty, sandy – that you can’t on anything else. The fatbike opens up a different type of riding whereas the SS probably just makes your existing rides different.

flashes
    Free Member

Yep SS Pugsley, ridden it for 6 (?) years, v pleasant. If you decide to go mad my Fixed gear Pugsley will possibly up for sale….

pictonroad

singlespeed rigid with a fat/semi-fat front.

nickgti
    Free Member

fatty, their more grateful and try harder!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What gearing for a SS fat bike?

Assuming 52″, and a 4″ tyre is about 30″, then about 32- 18 or 19? Probably 19 as IIRC fat tyres are slightly over 30″?

nedrapier

32/19 here on 4.7

I think it’s slightly more complicated, because the circumference at the ground is compressed due to the low pressure tyre.

tazzymtb

cheerfully bombed all over the peak district and north wales on an ss fatbike, the only bit thats grim is steep tarmac on linking sections

rOcKeTdOg

only Tazzy rides fat and SS

Last I heard he’d given up fat as they’d become too common & had gone semi-ss

tazzymtb

Last I heard he’d given up fat as they’d become too common & had gone semi-ss

not quite, more of a case of the new born again fat bikers and their “fat bikes are the best bike in world OMG, its like amazeballs etc… “as they trundle around with more **** frame bags and mud guards than an arrowhead competitor, just make me want to peel their faces off with hammer drill and smash the remaining bloody mess of their face repeatedly into broken glass.

Still love fat bikes in the right application, and will have another one day, but for general riding all my other bikes are better and much more fun for me.

My better half loves her fatty to bits so I still get to play with fat, just not mine 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike or singlespeed??’ is closed to new replies.