Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Fat bike for only MTB – would I be mad to?
  • prawny

Yeah fortunately the loaner has a high rise stem and old skool high rise bars so was fine in the cul de sac test last night, I just don’t think I’d be happy keeping it. (It is for sale if anyone is looking for one)

prawny

Righto, went for a quick ride on it this morning, it was dark, fair bit of snow and where there was no snow there were deep Cannock puddles and a bit of sludge.

Not sure what to made of it, riding on the fire roads was lovely and comfy, tons of grip in the snow, only lost traction twice in the snow but never stopped going forwards, I think I’d have lost a shoe on my normal MTB.

But on the short section of the dog I road it felt a bit clumsy, front end was a bit heavy and my hands were tingling after half an hour. I missed the pop of normal wheels, but then it was different conditions to anything I’ve ridden my current MTB in.

So I’m still undecided, will give it another couple of runs over the next couple of weeks, hopefully will have a bit of dry weather at some point, maybe some light too would be nice.

I can see why blutos are so popular.

I did enjoy just hosing the muck off on the drive and putting it away.

Goldigger
    Free Member

What does the fatty trail weigh?

Andy

my hands were tingling after half an hour.

Maybe play with tyre pressure a bit. It’s a fine line sometimes between being soft enough that the tyres aren’t bouncing and pinging off things and pinch punctures if tubed. Fat bikes really benefit from tubeless for this reason.

In answer to original question I went fat 3 years ago and my lovely Turner Sultan has hardly been ridden since.

philtricklebank

What does the fatty trail weigh? 

Website claims 28.2lb

prawny

It’s rigid this one, don’t know what t weighs but it’s light in the hand, surpringly so to me.

Mugboo

My first few rides on my Dune I thought I needed a Bluto. After a month I realised it doesn’t need one. Once you drop the pressure and start to relax it works beautifully.

Apart from proper rocky stuff, which blurs my vision

dovebiker

Fatty Trail 28lb – probably without tyres – complete bollox. My titanium framed fatbike with 65mm carbon rims, carbon fork etc is just a little under that. Heavy frame, heavy rims and tyres plus Blutos, more like mid-30s

cozz
    Free Member

yeah no way its 28lbs

I’ve got a cannodale caad fat 1 with HED carbon rims at its 30lb, although a % of that is the lefty

Goldigger
    Free Member

I thought that my 5 was heavy, but heavier than a fatbike that cost a 3rd of its price?
    So can we assume it’s heavier than the Trek Farley 9 at 13.98 kg / 30.82 lbs?

Cheezpleez

I have a pretty much stock Fatty Trail and it’s definitely not 28lb. The original inner tubes weighed that on their own.

It is a great bike, though.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike for only MTB – would I be mad to?’ is closed to new replies.