Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Fat Bike Fail!!
  • summittoppler
    Free Member

Had a cracking 35 mile fat bike ride down the Gower, S Wales on Saturday. However 20 yards, yes 20 yards from the car I go and do this, O the shame 😳 :

Anyway the day’s ride leading up to the big spill are here:

Wookster

Blimey! Glad you’re ( relatively) ok fella!!

Looks like you almost hydroplaned!!

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

Apologies, but that was brilliant!

wwaswas

Ouch.

Stoner
    Free Member

hydroplaned

wide tyres, big contact area? Whoda thunk it? 😆

sorry! great vid, hope it didnt sting too much.

ticsmon

Looks a lot worse in slow motion. Hope your ok. Great camera work though

bruneep

rider fail, not bike fail

m0rk
    Free Member

Could have been worse, you could have washed out a couple of metres earlier & got a good soaking as well

tomhoward

Someone needs to put that in the ‘gifs you could watch all day’ thread

ampthill

I wonder of anyone will link back to that when some tells us about the great traction of those huge tyres 😕

Stoner
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wonder of anyone will link back to that when some tells us about the great traction of those huge tyres

I bought a fatbike after this crash (well, actually I broke it a 3rd time, then bought one)

[video]https://youtu.be/1twoWkOwEbY[/video]

summittoppler
    Free Member

Cheers fella’s. You can’t beat watching a good spill!!! It was a schoolboy error on my behalf. Way to fast for the conditions/terrain. Nothing to do with the bike/tyres. We’ve all done it, and that gif is awesome Stoner!!
    There’s more ‘normal’ fat bike video’s on my channel without the spills though 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

That bell would do my head in TINAS.. 😕

scotroutes

That bell is to keep the bears away.

Did you see any bears in that video?

No.

Which proves it works.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That bell would do my head in TINAS..

I’m trying to remember, I’m sure it eventually died in a crash, but the only big crash on that bike was before that day.

Weirdly I really like quiet bikes but that bell didn’t bother me at all.

rene59
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdOPBP9vuZA[/video]

i_like_food

Ouch, I just think ‘algae’.

oxym0r0n

I know that ford very well – just down the road from the ‘famous’ Shepherd’s shop. One Swansea Uni club ride BITD about 8 riders went down in unison in the same place! Hope you enjoyed the ‘Bryn though

zbonty

Ouch. Got some air off that ford!

NormalMan

Thanks for sharing. Lovely views. Brings back memories from childhood holidays.

Although as I’ve mentioned a fair on here recently I’m having a real n+1 moment and keep looking at fat bikes. So in that sense I shouldn’t thank you!

Hope you didn’t hurt yourself btw.

boltonjon

Great filming fella!!!

Fat bikes do aquaplane like a bugger – not stacked mine yet but always careful in standing water 🙂

SaxonRider

Great vids! At risk of starting a helmet argument, it does look like yours saved you there.

From the back, it looks like you hit your head pretty hard. Did you?

beano68
    Free Member

Nice vid matey, cracking place as thats where I grew up but moved away 35 years ago ! 🙂 lost of memories , thanks for posting

40mpg

I would had stopped at the first one, but going back and doing it another 5 times to get the different speeds and shot angles, well that’s just nuts.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I bet that there was a sign “Cyclist dismount before ford” 😀

Cheers!
    I.

summittoppler
    Free Member

From the back, it looks like you hit your head pretty hard. Did you?

After looking at the clip the next morning I was pretty shocked to see how hard my bonce hit the deck. I dread to think where I would be now if I weren’t wearing one 😕
    Atm, I’ve got no whiplash, just pain in the ribs. A&E says I’ve probably fractured something in there and gave me a load of painkillers (which are needed!). I’ve also got some road rash.

Thanks for all the concern guys, kudos to all I’m glad it’s been entertaining!! 🙂

IdleJon

wide tyres, big contact area? Whoda thunk it?

Nothing to do with that, it’s because of green slippy stuff, probably algae.

How do I know?

I’ve done exactly that, in exactly the same ford, and stupidly have done it in both directions. I once picked myself up off the ground to find a coachload of grannies hands over mouths, muttering, “Ooooh, I think he just fell off his bike?” These days I ride over the little bridge to the left of the guy with the camera. 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at the amateur science here.

Aquaplane 4″ knobby tyre at <20mph LOL

I have heard that concrete and stone under water can have slidey stuff called algae growing on it LOL

jambalaya
    Free Member

@summit that’s so close to the perfect slide, one leg out and some opposite lock and your golden. Even if you crash and burn after the camera you could have cut it together like you meant it 8)

@thisisnot I can’t ride flat corners either, fell off at @jedi too 😳

benp1

That looked painful, good job you were wearing the helmet

I like the fact that so much effort went in to filming it!

MrNice
    Free Member

Aquaplane 4″ knobby tyre at <20mph LOL

we’ll have none of your pointy head reality-based science stuff here! it’s a fat bike, it can ride on water (maybe)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ouchies! Looks painful. Thanks for posting. I did laugh. 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have heard that locking the front wheel is a good way to scrub speed.

Seems not here.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

quality vid. Arse about the ribs, hope they’re not too painful.

I cracked some once, and only realised half-way through a snowboard holiday the following week as every time I stacked it I felt a grinding sensation in my chest 😯

summittoppler
    Free Member

Thanks for everyones comments folks. The filming was all part of me capturing the days ride which can be seen on the link on my first post.
    And if you like that then check out my other films on my youtube channel. Unfortunately there are no clips of me spilling it!!
    Cheers 🙂

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have done the exact same thing, nothing to do with bike it’s about turning on a slippery surface.

Twodogs

Yep…that ford is always like that 🙂

cheekyget
    Free Member

Ooooooooh nasty……..still a tale to tell the grandkids…ha ha ha

Glad there is no lasting damage…..and the fatty is ok ……proper built them bikes 😀

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Fat Bike Fail!!’ is closed to new replies.