• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by WEJ.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Fat bike curious and only £349.81 to spend????
  • timbur
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-indulgence-2015/

Might be ideal for sticking (a cheap) toe in the water.

Tis all.
    tim

Notter
    Free Member

43lbs 😯

No idea what a typical weight is but crikey!

drovercycles
    Free Member

Doesn’t actually look too bad at all for the money although not sure it’s worth £650 originally.

Certainly a weighty beast but then when you think a basic entry-level “normal” MTB could be 14.5kg it doesn’t seem too unreasonable.

I’d not want to be riding it up anything steep with a 42/32 bottom gear, mind. Why on earth would they spec a 42T chainring?

timbur
    Free Member

😆

I guess it’s cheap for a reason

Matt24k
    Free Member

43lbs and a single 42t chain ring to go with 11-32 on the back? That adds up to a lot of pushing on steep hills.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No idea what a typical weight is but crikey!

My Fatty is <30lb (haven’t weighed it in a while), with carbon bars and forks and 1×10, so nothing fancy. Just added a reverb though so it’s probably snuck up again.

timbur
    Free Member

Nothing fancy Spoon? I bet your fork is close to the price of this entire bike 😈

sailor74
    Free Member

If anyone is considering it don’t bother, it will be awful and completely put you off fat bikes!
    Even with summer tyres fat bikes roll slower and take longer to get up to speed than a skinny tyre bike, and with 43lbs of bike to heft along you will need an uplift to even begin to have fun!
    My fat bike weight in at 33lbs, I’m considering an upgrade to a carbon model to get the weight right down as even 33lbs is an effort due to the big tyres.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nothing fancy Spoon? I bet your fork is close to the price of this entire bike

Good point, it was only £800 in total though, so still cheap by fat standards.

epicyclo

The frame looks ok and 520 isn’t gaspipe.

It doesn’t mention what the tyre specs and tyres are what make a fatbike, 120tpi for preference. Anything less rolls like a slug in comparison.

So replace the tyres and the chainring and it looks a lot better at an all up cost of around £500.

mcnultycop

42t chainring because they haven’t designed the chainstays for anything smaller?

cupra
    Free Member

42t chainring because they haven’t designed the chainstays for anything smaller?

In the reviews one of the owners says he changed to a smaller chain ring.

cupra
    Free Member

Never mind the fat bike, just spotted the ss Movement model available as either 29 or 650b!

timbur
    Free Member

Thats nice Cupra. Ideal cheap entry level singletrack weapon.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – can I ask what you’ve got for £800? would love a fat bike and that sort of spend would eb reasonable!

letmetalktomark

The 29er SS does indeed look to be a bargain ….. I don’t need a winder bike, I don’t need a winter bike …..

Edit: pretty short in the TT 🙁

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Looks good for the money . Sure you could mod it quite easily to shave some weight . Don’t buy expensive and regret it . You could at least throw it on eBay if you didn’t like it and probably break even .

m360
    Free Member

If you swapped the wheels and tyres I reckon you could easily save 10kg in weight…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

groundskeeperwilly – Member
    thisisnotaspoon – can I ask what you’ve got for £800? would love a fat bike and that sort of spend would eb reasonable!

On one fatty in the sale, plus a couple of upgrades/swaps for stuff i had in the shed (chainring, foam grips and SLX instead of X5) and the carbon bar was from O-O as an appology after they messed up. So not £800 off the shelf but if you waited long enough for another sale or could live without carbon bars it’s only £1k full price now with the carbon fork.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

My 29er SS verenti just arrived, its quite nice the frame is very nice 725. I put about 27 miles on it yesterday during a group ride and it rode lovely.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Pretty sure the 42t means this is intended for the road, to beat the big brands to the fat gnarmac or “fnarmac” niche.

cheekyget
    Free Member

There is a on one fatty on E £700 inc carbon forks…..and finished in anti theft green paint

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Wait for voodoo Wazoo to come back in stock at Halfords. 500 quid, far better than the verenti and other ghetto fatties. Sold out within a few weeks but due a re stock.

epicyclo

Just to repeat myself seeing as other cheap options are being mentioned.

Fatbikes are their tyres. Everything else is incidental. Without good tyres, the bike is a slug.

Buy cheap by all means, but be prepared to upgrade the tyres (and probably save some weight).

officerfriendly
    Free Member

@epicyclo Is the difference between 27tpi and 120tpi really that much? I thought they were just lighter. Genuinely curious, I’ve got a couple of both (:

epicyclo

officerfriendly – Member

@epicyclo
    Is the difference between 27tpi and 120tpi really that much? I thought they were just lighter. Genuinely curious, I’ve got a couple of both (:

Depends on the make of the tyre, but generally more tpi is more supple for a given pressure.

backmarker
    Free Member

Could anyone recommend some lighter fat bike tyres, I’ve just bought a verenti and all your posts really interest me. I’m totally new to fat bikes, and haven’t riden a mountain bike for 10 years, just got back into cycling last year with a road bike!

sailor74
    Free Member

Schawlow jumbo Jim if you can find any.
    I’m currently running a surly Nate up front with a surly Knard out back

WEJ

Anyone any experience or opinions on Sand Seeker bikes? ebay link

The Verenti is only available up to 17″, suitable for up to 5’10”. I’m 6′

lightman
    Free Member

I was looking at that before I got my OOF.
    Im not sure if I believe the weight and the screw on block put me right off because of the limited/poor choice of gearing.

At least with the Wiggle bike, you can easily upgrade small parts without having to buy bigger things like wheels if you need better gearing.

Second hand Fattys are not much more and well worth the wee bit extra.

WEJ

Thanks lightman, I’ll keep an eye out for a used OOF.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike curious and only £349.81 to spend????’ is closed to new replies.