Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fat bike cranks, anything I should know?
  • goodlemon442
    Free Member

My frame has a 135mm offset rear end, by 17.5mm, the same as a pugsley. Can I slap any old 100mm axled cranks on there or do I need to choose wisely?
    So options mention the arm length and some other number i.e. 175/190 on a set of raceface rides. Was ist das?
    Do enlighten me.

Goldigger
    Free Member

190 is the dropout spacing

takisawa2

It’s a bloody minefield, but I’m really impressed by the e-Thirteen ones I put on the Puffin, with a Hope BB.

nedrapier

Rear hub spacing.

I’d find low numbers for your same-as-a-Pugsley. I’ve got some slightly tatty but serviceable SRAM x5 cranks you can have for not much?

Came off a Puffin, 175mm crank length, 170mm hub, 100mm spindle.

Lester
    Free Member

ned
    if takisawa isnt interested, how much do you want for your cranks? i stripped the drive side my current x5, so could do with a cheap set
    thanks

nedrapier

Do you need 2x, or 1x, Lester?

goodlemon442
    Free Member

Interesting, so hopefully with my skinny ass back end I needn’t worry about the extra guff and can just run the fat cranks of my choice.
    May I have a picture of these cranks? Could be interested!

nedrapier

Will take some tonight and send to you both. They came on a bike I bought s/h and they’ve had the inner ring bolts ground off. Nothing wrong with them (unless you want to run a double!), but my knees prefer a 170mm crank.

Lester
    Free Member

1 x is what im running , no pictures just a price please:-)

nedrapier

£35 posted 1st class?

Or can handover and save the ballache if you’re in London any time soon?

nedrapier

goodlemon, it’s to make sure the crank arms are wide enough to clear the stays. wider hub needs wider stays which need wider spaced cranks. But it’s advisable to have cranks no wider than necessary, for the sake of your knees and your pedal/ground clearance in corners.

goodlemon442
    Free Member

Noted.
    Thanks 🙂

clubby

Just went through same minefield buying cranks for my Pugsley.
    Go for cranks listed for 170mm rear end. They are the ones that work with 4″ tyres.
    190mm spacing tends to be for 5″ tyres and wider frame clearance. Cranks for this may work but you won’t get a great chainline.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

190mm spacing tends to be for 5″ tyres and wider frame clearance. Cranks for this may work but you won’t get a great chainline.

You can clear 4.8″ tyres on <80mm rims with normal ‘170’ cranks and 1x, plenty of people on the O-One fatty facebook group run that combination.

clubby

On one fatty is 170mm hub though is it not?
    And I did say “tends to be” 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike cranks, anything I should know?’ is closed to new replies.