Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Fat bike, can they be used as an everyday bike??
  • andyv
    Free Member

On one pink tyred fatty owner of 4weeks after taking advantage of the 20% off code.

Has been ragged all round my local trails and done the Brecon Beacons gap including riding/pushing up to the summit.

Have very much enjoyed it and the smile from everybody seeing it is worth the effort alone. Grip across loose rocks is Dougie Lampkin joy.

But, it’s slow.

You can ride anything but expect to add 20% plus to your riding times.

And you will definitely get fitter riding it.

takisawa2

for having fun on and having a good time then after 20yrs riding off road i have found the perfect style for me

Put a 29+ on the front of mine last year, & this sums up pretty much where I am.
    Tried a Krampus & it was ok, but preffered my Niner.
    Thinking about having the back of my Niner adapted to run a 29+ both ends.

Not tried a full fat.
    I’d buy a Beargrease tomorrow, as the latest one can run 29+.
    They’re not cheap are they… 😯

Sanny
    Free Member

I reckon my fat bike is the best bike I have ever ridden for rocky, technical and super steep climbs. It just finds traction where even my 29er full sus struggles. On the downs, it takes more concentration than my full Susser but that is to be expected. After all, it is still a rigid bike.

I don’t get the fixation with them being perceived as slow. Mine will shift when I want it to. I have a notion for a full sus fat bike as I reckon it really could be the ultimate, do it all bike for big days out in the mountains and multi day adventures…… 😀

lightman
    Free Member

Ive had my Fatty for 6 weeks now and put just over 700 miles on it, not touched any of my other bikes since I got it.
    I regularly look at the 2.4″ tyres Ive got on my 29’er and think they’re really skinny!

I have now got a rear rack and my full length carbon mudguards on it, and it just does everything I ask of it.

Only thing with fat bikes, big fat tyres do NOT like thick mud, for obvious reasons.
    While it can be a pain trying to get grip climbing on mud, when you start to go downhill on mud, its like you’ve just had 40 pints and jumped straight on the bike for a ride, but its so uncontrollable, it is actually very funny trying to stay upright, well I find it funny anyway!

But, as others have said, you can just get a spare set of 29’er wheels made up if you wanted an easier day of riding.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike, can they be used as an everyday bike??’ is closed to new replies.