Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fat bike advice
  • ofeersa
    Free Member

I like the look of these but cant afford to buy a brand new one. Any advice on how to build one on a budget. suitable second hand frame? where to buy new components? e.c.t.
    was looking at some On One Inbred frames, would these be suitable/have sufficent tyre clearance.

druidh
    Free Member

No standard frame will do it. In addition, cranks, rims and tyres are all fat-specific. The occasional 2nd hand bike will pop up on eBay but this is probably the worst time of year to be buying. For the difficulty in sour ing (cheap) parts, an On One Fatty, Mukluk or Pugsley is going to be your most likely entry point. If you’re not in a hurry, I’m sure there will be a number of On Ones available 2nd hand around March…..

Chainline
    Free Member

You could use an Inbred to go half fat, which is still ace fun, buy a Salsa Enabler or Surly/vicous fork and use a rear wheel hub to build a wheel, Surly do rims. Still wont be that cheap. The OnOne is available on cycle to work? at £1k its amazing value to be honest.

cynic-al
    Free Member

tough to do on the cheap IME, there are some cheap rims from Germany, but that’s about it.

I wouldn’t bother with half fat, i found it little like the real thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ace fun in a – none of the benifits but all of the drawbacks sort of way chainline ?

wwaswas

Brant is sourcing wheels, forks etc so they can do a fat front package.

singlespeedstu

And in contrast I love my fatfronted bike. 😛
    I also love my fullfat bike though in a different way. 😀

ofeersa
    Free Member

thanks for the advice, ill just hang off till around march and see if i can pick one up for the last three months of winter 🙂

sangobegger
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for what square wheels in Strathpeffer are up to – they have some on the way, just no price yet, but apparently it will be competitive

stevemakin

http://s436462119.websitehome.co.uk/index.php

Advice here, and lots of fat bike banter

federalski
    Free Member
    Bernaard
    Free Member

Try half fat first. I love it, but can’t justify a full fat, due to living nowhere near any sand/beaches and snow is a rarity.
    Inbred would be a good starter, and strangely enough I have a frame for sale 😛

crocodilian
    Free Member

Bernaard – they’re a hoot over “normal” terrain too! I don’t live anywhere close to sand or snow either but quite happily hoon around regardless!

See if you can try one out and you’ll see. 😀

drofluf
    Free Member

Cheap is a relative term 🙂 your best bet is probably eBay. Fat front on an Inbred will work but you won’t get a tyre in the back.

Bernaard
    Free Member

Croc, I would love to, but the bank managers computer says no 😥

cozz
    Free Member

the on one fat bike at £999 would be the bestbet, sell some old shit on ebay to get bit more cash and order one

bet if any are around in spring they will still fetch good money used, so dont expect a bargain, second hand fatbikes are a rarity

Chainline
    Free Member

@trail rat, not at all, Like singlespeedstu I loved my half fat. Only reason it went is I went back to full suss and can’t afford squillions of bikes for the whole family…

if you like rigid, then fat front adds loads of simple fun and fantastic grip, its just a feeling all of its own..

I am a full fat virgin so very much looking forward to it..

flashes
    Free Member

I love my Pugsley. I was really lucky to pick up a complete used bike for a really good price. I’m planning on a 1/2 fat in the future, and am toying with the idea of another fat…..they can be used anywhere you usually ride and add another dimension, plus it takes ages to get around Ashton Court as everyone wants to chat……….or as the little boy said to his embaressed Mum “Look there’s a man on a clown’s bike”…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike advice’ is closed to new replies.