Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Fat bike
  • DaveE

Recommendations for fat bike for general use.

mrbelowski
    Free Member

Yes, recommended. They rock. The On One fatty is ace

bedmaker

Fatty, great bike. The fact it’s so cheap akes it even better

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Defiantly the On One Fatty for general trail and trail centre use.

Any other classic framed Fat Bike (not the fatty) for beach riding and long distance load carrying rides

Sam

Singular Puffins have just landed!!!

Singular Puffin page

sweepy
    Free Member

I am interested in a fat bike, could anyone explain in laymans terms the difference between the on one and the others. Are the forks not compatible?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sweepy – Member

I am interested in a fat bike, could anyone explain in laymans terms the difference between the on one and the others. Are the forks not compatible?

Some (on one, singular) are more ‘trail’, some are more ‘XC-tourer for sand/snow’ (anything form alaska). Although acording to the MTBR thread on it the main difference is in the geometry of On-ones fork making it a bit more maneuverable. Nothing incompatible except the odd tapered steerer.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Nothing incompatible except the odd tapered steerer.

And offset ones…

But yeah, great fun to play on..
    Love mine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nice straight tubed 9 zero 7 ….

i ended up with a kinked top tube 🙁

DaveE

Thanks for all he advice.
    How do you transport fat bikes on the car.
    Have Pendle wheel support rack which could be modified to fit.

BlobOnAStick

Dave Dave Dave,

Please don’t get a fat bike. It’ll make me want one even more 🙁

Unless of course you let me have a go so I can see if I might shrink the family holiday budget a smidge……

Ben

motorman
    Free Member

Another thing to consider is that some frames will fit a 29er+ wheelset with ease, unlike the singular or the one one fatty which only work with 26×4 or smaller.

907, Salsa running alternators drop outs & Surly all work well with dual wheelsets.

Just sayin, so I think it is an important consideration when buying a bike.

lotto
    Free Member

Anyone with first hand experience of the Genesis Caribou? I’m tempted. Like the fact it is 1×10 and uses the Surly tyre/wheel combo.

DaveE

lotto – would also be interested to here of experiences of Caribou.
    On paper looks great spec.
    What are the sizes like. Normally ride medium Solaris

scotroutes

The new Caribou will be available soon and I think they are great vfm
    In fact, a lot of folk are spending more getting their On Ones to a state they are happy with (adding more gears, changing hubs etc)

However, if I was currently looking around I’d be checking out the Charge Cooker Maxi – currently available at £950 I believe….

Lester
    Free Member

id get the on one fatty bundle for £500 swap the fork for a carbon one (add £50)and then source the other parts separately, well thats what i did as i had lots of other parts doing nothing, the only specific fat bike stuff other than the bundle are the crankset/bottom bracket

Paceman
    Free Member

motorman – Member
    Another thing to consider is that some frames will fit a 29er+ wheelset with ease, unlike the singular or the one one fatty which only work with 26×4 or smaller.

907, Salsa running alternators drop outs & Surly all work well with dual wheelsets.

Just sayin, so I think it is an important consideration when buying a bike.

Interesting Motorman.

Do you know where I can find a list of frames that fit a 29+ wheelset. Cheers.

epicyclo

As an aside, if you want to build a light fatbike, by far the lightest frame I’ve weighed is the original 907 with the straight tubes like the one in Motorman’s pic.

907 = 1,858gms

Mukluk = 2,164gms

Mukluk2 = 2,268gms

Fatty = 2,494gms

You have to go to carbon to get lighter.

Steel frames are heavier, needless to say, but if you’re greatly concerned about weight, a fatbike is probably not for you anyway.

Sam

Haven’t actually tried a 29+ tyre in the final production Puffins, I expect it will be close. They will definitely fit up to a 26×4.7 (Surly BFL) on an 80mm rim.

Paceman
    Free Member

Sam, any plans to produce the Rooster frame in any other colours?

Lester
    Free Member

Gee has a beargrease and is spending on lightweight parts and hoping to get his beargrease down to 23lb!!
    my beargrease is 28lbs in a Large

scud
    Free Member

I don’t have any experience of any other fat bikes other than my Salsa Mukluk, what I would say is that don’t expect them to be as fast or as nimble as your normal MTB on your local trails, but what they are is hugely capable in a wide range of terrains, ridiculous amounts of grip that allow you to climb things you didn’t think capable; once the wheels are spinning up to speed, then descending there isn’t much that will stop them and there isn’t any other type of bike where you could be riding across wet sand and foot deep water one minute and riding proper Scottish mountains the next.

Few pics from a little tour myself, Andy and Boltonjon from this parish did last week, from Skye, across to North and South Uist, Benbecular, Eriskay and Barra for a 5 day bivvy trip riding the coastline, followed by a couple of days proper mtb’ing in Torridon area:

Finally, looking at Sam’s responses above, we ribbed Boltonjon a few times about the fact that he was still waiting on his Singular with the following image, but he has the last laugh now, as our frames were a bit trashed from the sand and salt water, he bought a 2nd hand frame just for the trip and now comes home to a nice new Puffin frame!

theashnav
    Free Member

I own two now – one from Alaska and from Sheffield TBH there’s not much between them both as they ride really well on trails and the beach the main difference is the cost as one is nearlly twice as much as the other 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m off to Abu Dhabi in September for 6 months, but slightly worried about what bike to take.

Either:
    Existing 29er hardtail
    New Fat bike
    Road bike

On the one hand the road bike seems like it might get the most use as there’s a least one local group ride. On the other I’ll never get a more appropriate chance to justify a fat bike! But the locals all seem to be riding ‘normal’ bikes, just with big (2.3+) tyres. On the downside the nearest MTB club is 2 hours away in Dubai. Really don’t want to not go MTB’ing, really want to try a fat bike, really don’t want to be the slow guy sweating buckets at the back on the slow bike, with no common spares with any other bikes, in the desert.

scud
    Free Member

Thisisnotaspoon, as above what about a fat bike and a 2nd set of 29er wheels on fat bike hubs, with newer Mukluk, 907 frame etc, in theory you could have one frame with fat bike wheels and tyres, a set of 29er wheels with “normal MTB tyres” and if desperate, put some slicks on the 29er wheels?? Swiss Army bike?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thought that, might look a bit wierd turning upto the road club’s rides on a fat bike with 32c slicks! But yea, it might be the best option for doing 2 out of 3. Just need to see how feasible getting to the trails is.

scud
    Free Member

Oh come, fat bike, slick tyres and some aero bars, coupled with some lovely purple lycra, you’ll look a treat!

boltonjon

Fat Bikes rule – bloody ace fun as Scud’s photos above demonstrate

New Puffin next week 🙂 🙂 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Oh come, fat bike, slick tyres and some aero bars, coupled with some lovely purple lycra, you’ll look a treat!

It’s a Tri club, so probably wouldn’t be the most bizzare get up.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

However, if I was currently looking around I’d be checking out the Charge Cooker Maxi – currently available at £950 I believe….

Not that I can find using Google-fu….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not that I can find using Google-fu….

Your google-fu is not match for my bing-ninja*

*actualy I used google

flashes
    Free Member

and don’t discount a Surly. I love mine…………..

scud
    Free Member

Had a look at the Charge Maxi when LBS had one, seemed even more heavy than others.

If you can build it yourself, then they don’t have to cost much more than normal hardtail these days with On One doing £39 tyres and Robbson doing £35 80mm rims.

Got my frame (with normal forks) from Billys in Cambridge, for £249, not sure if they have any other old stock they are selling cheap, Robbson rims built on to Hope Hubs (thanks Andy) and £18 cranks from eBay, worth searching US and Canadian eBay too especially if you know anyone that travels over that way.

theashnav
    Free Member

If you are thinking about going for the Charge make sure you ride another Fat Bike first – I found the steering really bad on it even after we swapped the front wheel with an O O Fatty wheel .My mate hired it for the day and was not that impressed – he loves my On One but as there a few about locally he’s got a Puffin on its way 😀

DaveE

Having ridden steel bikes for a number of years an orange P7 and now a Cotic Solaris I like the idea of Caribou or Puffin.
    Was wondering if any photos of builds and opinions on either of these bikes/frames.
    What would approximate build price be.
    Thanks for all comments so far.

boltonjon

Hey Dave – just about to finish a Puffin build with Surly rims and hope hubs and i’m not getting much change out of £2K

The wheels and tyres are the killer – but as Scud says above, if you go for Robson rims you’ll save a lot of dosh

Also, i think On-one were selling wheelsets for about £300

With the big manufacturers like Spesh & Kona jumping on the fat wagon, prices will drop pretty quickly go forward

DaveE

After a bit of research I think I have narrowed down to Genisis Caribou or Singular Puffin.
    Are they similar geometry
    Any other thoughts

drofluf
    Free Member

After a bit of research I think I have narrowed down to Genisis Caribou or Singular Puffin.
    Are they similar geometry
    Any other thoughts

Don’t know about the Caribou but the Puffin’s geometry is on the Singular website.

hishairyness
    Free Member

The Fatbike! After 30 years riding everything i discovered the beast and have not looked back. I have a feeling Dave is booked in for a test ride, but could be wrong, anyway for us, Salsa have it sorted in the Fattie department. The world is slowly reolising the fatbike is the way forward. Although i still read that its not agile, its slow, its only for soft surfaces. Wrong! The secret is to buy the right bike, forget about how they used to be, just for adventure riding, they are so much more. The secret is to build your own, invest your money in the wheels, thats where the weight is. We build 28pound fatbikes and they handle just like any skinny but have so much more grip, but are si simple.
    Dave, if this is you we can talk whats what when you come in. I’ve been riding them for 2 years now.
    Fatbikes are here to stay and will kick some ass, just come out with us and see the look of surprise when we keep up if not beat most full sus guys. And now…we have front suspension. Look out skinnies.
    Once you go Fat, you never go Back! slam69 (Fat69)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Fat bike’ is closed to new replies.